SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone contacted SIG direct to see if they still make some and will they install it? I would like to get a spare. Mine is ok this is just me being OCD.

Thanks

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,832 Posts
It was "West Germany", not East where the Sig factory was located, and they went out of business. Sig in the US never made the internal Extractor. Gerry Ritacco at Total Automation in Virginia, was making them and fitting them, but you would have to contact him, to see if he still does it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Good to know information. (y)

·
10,832 Posts
SIG was selling them recently. Check their website.
Matrix is selling the 9mm Extractors made by Sig, and while the originals were slightly different between the 9mm and .45 Auto versions as far as "bends", the one marketed by Matrix Precision, has no bends. Whether that means they could be used, I'm not sure, as the packaging only is marked for 228/M11 so maybe what Sig had to support the US Military contract for the M11. I've got one incoming, for the P226 DAO I recently purchased, so I may compare to my P220s Extractor, to see if possibly viable.

JzMwdky.jpg

Top Gun Supply shows this, a 9mm extractor... Sig Sauer Extractor - P220-9, 220-38S, 225, 226, 228 - Top Gun Supply

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Willard,
Jack First has a "reproduction" for a BDA 220.

This part is manufactured of high quality tool steel and heat-treated to precise specifications in our Midwest facility, using an original factory part for duplication. Some parts may need additional fitting to accommodate wear in old firearms.

I wonder if this would work?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It was "West Germany", not East where the Sig factory was located, and they went out of business. Sig in the US never made the internal Extractor. Gerry Ritacco at Total Automation in Virginia, was making them and fitting them, but you would have to contact him, to see if he still does it.
While it was announced earlier in 2020 that SIG Sauer in Eckernförde would close, they are obviously still open and the corporate website is up and active. Their guns are still available in Germany.

Impressum - Sig Sauer

·
10,832 Posts
Willard,
Jack First has a "reproduction" for a BDA 220.

This part is manufactured of high quality tool steel and heat-treated to precise specifications in our Midwest facility, using an original factory part for duplication. Some parts may need additional fitting to accommodate wear in old firearms.

I wonder if this would work?
The BDA 220 was available in both 9mm and .45 Auto. Just as "reproductions" have been advertised in Gun Broker by Robertson Trading Post, they have all been 9mm, as far as I know. If Jack First would advise that the version they have is for a .45 Auto, I would venture to believe them, as they have been in business for quite some time, but ask about their return policy. Upon receipt, I would at least compare to your current P220 Extractor.

I know you mentioned your OCD condition, and I sympathize, but when dealing with older "discontinued" designs, sometimes you need to realize the limits of keeping an old war horse functioning. Under normal conditions the original Extractor should last longer than the aluminum frame. The biggest detriment to the older internal Extractors, was individuals dropping a live round in the chamber, then expecting the Extractor to "jump" the rim. While tool steel should be tougher than brass, the Extractor wasn't designed to do this and after a while, and being work hardened, the claw would get chipped, reducing the Extractors contact with the cartridge rim, and ability to pull some cases from the chamber. Steel casings would compound the issue. As long as your current extractor works reliably, close inspection could reveal any current damage. If none, using proper loading procedures will keep it functioning properly for years and many more rounds.

Reactions: Land Cruiser

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called Jack First on Monday and was told they do not know if the Browning BDA 45 extractor will work on a Sig P220. I think I might just take a shot and order one as a spare anyway. From what I remember is that Sig made them and imported them into the US through Browning.

·
10,832 Posts
I called Jack First on Monday and was told they do not know if the Browning BDA 45 extractor will work on a Sig P220. I think I might just take a shot and order one as a spare anyway. From what I remember is that Sig made them and imported them into the US through Browning.
Yes, there were several importers, before Sig set up a business here, initially as an importer from Germany. I went to their website, and that appears to be correct, as was specified for .45, and not the 9mm or .38 Super versions.

·
Registered
846 Posts
While it was announced earlier in 2020 that SIG Sauer in Eckernförde would close, they are obviously still open and the corporate website is up and active. Their guns are still available in Germany.

Impressum - Sig Sauer
The website might be up but operations and manufacturing is all but done. They were slated to close completely later last year, early this year. The cut connections years ago when the US operations were sold to L&O for the total cost of ....one dollar.

With the inability to export banned long ago I'd guess the market in country was not worth keeping them going.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
.....was individuals dropping a live round in the chamber, then expecting the Extractor to "jump" the rim. While tool steel should be tougher than brass, the Extractor wasn't designed to do this and after a while, and being work hardened, the claw would get chipped, reducing the Extractors contact with the cartridge rim, and ability to pull some cases from the chamber.

I don't mean to be "nit-picking", because you know more than I ever will on these "Real" P-Guns. But I did not know that tool steel would "work harden".

·
10,832 Posts
I don't mean to be "nit-picking", because you know more than I ever will on these "Real" P-Guns. But I did not know that tool steel would "work harden".
Yes, it can, any metal can, it comes from the "hammering" the Extractor receives, trying to "jump" that cartridge rim. Since tool steel is already hardened to an extent, this causes it to become "brittle". While the Extractors themselves are also tempered like a spring, the claw itself is not designed to "flex", so it can hold onto the cartridge rim.

I'm not a "Metallurgist" by any means, but this is what I have come to understand while dealing with 1911s for close to 50 years, in the 1911 Extractor.

Reactions: Superzuki

·
Registered
37 Posts
The website might be up but operations and manufacturing is all but done. They were slated to close completely later last year, early this year. The cut connections years ago when the US operations were sold to L&O for the total cost of ....one dollar.

With the inability to export banned long ago I'd guess the market in country was not worth keeping them going.
Officially they closed on 12/31/2020, there are still a lot of new SIG Sauer guns offered in Germany and I wonder what happened to the Beschussamt in their basement. It was recently renovated at quite some cost and is only accessible by going through the factory. I just had a friend call the old number, it is going to some call center ...

·
Registered
846 Posts
Officially they closed on 12/31/2020, there are still a lot of new SIG Sauer guns offered in Germany and I wonder what happened to the Beschussamt in their basement. It was recently renovated at quite some cost and is only accessible by going through the factory. I just had a friend call the old number, it is going to some call center ...

Sig is in the process of building a new structure they are calling the Sig Experience. It will among other things house a museum. I'd hope the rare examples produced over the years make there way into it. Should be at least a year in construction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spoke to SIG customer service today (Adam) and I asked them if I can buy a spare extractor for a West German P220 45 with the internal extractor and folded slide. He said no it would have to be sent in but it could be fixed. He said we do keep spare parts for the older Sig's for warranty repair. I then asked him if I was not the original owner can I still get it fixed and he said yes, but I would have to pay for the repairs. OCD has now calmed do to a Normal 5 out of 10. I was under the impression they had none and was never going to get anymore in.

·
10,832 Posts
There are a lot of parts, that they have retained, to do warranty work on older Sigs, and those that even have been discontinued. They just stop selling parts outright when they have reached a pre-determined amount. That's why they will perform the Sig Service Plan on many of the older, discontinued models, like the original P225, P230 and P232.

Just to verify, I have ordered one of the Jack First BDA Extractors to compare against my German P220 .45 Auto version...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please keep me posted on the Jack First extractor. I am going to hold off on ordering one until I the results.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sig is in the process of building a new structure they are calling the Sig Experience. It will among other things house a museum. I'd hope the rare examples produced over the years make there way into it. Should be at least a year in construction.
Yes, there will be that center but it will not bring the SIG Sauer Mastershop back. I had been inside the Eckernfoerde plant and walked through the production area. I saw them working on the guns and they were in no rush but took their time to fit and control everything.

Sig Sauer Academy's $13.5M 'Experience Center' gains approval in Epping NH (seacoastonline.com)

·
10,832 Posts
Please keep me posted on the Jack First extractor. I am going to hold off on ordering one until I the results.
Here we go, a "comparison" of the currently known Carbon Steel Internal Extractors, I have accumulated.

CS Ext(1).JPG

CS Ext(2).JPG

The Jack First design approximates the contour of the P220 .45 OEM with the "bend" closer to the base. The "base" though is narrower, so not as much "support" from the Locking Insert, to hold in place.

The Matrix offering, a Sig packaged P228/M11 replacement is thicker than the OEM P226 9mm Extractor, but using the same fitting techniques, should of course be a viable replacement, for possibly both

1 - 20 of 25 Posts