SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this thing where tight stuff on my head gives me a near-instantaneous tension headache. It sucks. I can't even wear most hats because of it. Every pair of ear muffs I've ever tried give me a horrible headache because they're so tight.

I usually resort to just using ear plugs at the range, which is generally fine when shooting my own stuff, until someone pulls up next to me with a compensated AR or something and it starts to get painful.

Does anyone have any recommendations on muffs that work/seal well without being so tight?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I use the MSA Sordin supreme pro X with the Gel cups. They seal well and I don't find them as tight as others. They are pricey, but comfortable and the electronics work very well.

Reactions: SteveAikens

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
I use the MSA Sordin supreme pro X with the Gel cups. They seal well and I don't find them as tight as others.
Exactly what I recommend. I got in on a deal for an unmarked set from the manufacturer in Sweden for the early MSA Sordin Supreme model with gel pads. They were part of a military contract over-run.

Best purchase for hearing protection you can make - and I make that recommendation based on two models before what's available today.

Simply outstanding in all the requirements - sound suppression, clarity of hearing spoken word, fit, comfort, battery life and weight. Also note they are about as thin as you can get so they don't interfere with cheek-weld for rifle shooters.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. Can the Gel Cups be found on any of their other models? And beyond the bells and whistles of the MSA Sordin model you recommdend, is the gel cup the defining comfort feature? I'd hate to spend $250 on some muffs just to find out that they're still too tight.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Can the Gel Cups be found on any of their other models? And beyond the bells and whistles of the MSA Sordin model you recommdend, is the gel cup the defining comfort frature? I'd hate to spend $250 on some muffs just to find out that they're still too tight.
The gel pads will help any muffs IMO, but the overall quality definitely factors in also.

They are expensive, I bought mine on Amazon and made sure it would be an easy return if they didn't do the trick, but obviously I never returned them.

I looked around a little for cheaper with Gel Pads, but had no luck. I wouldn't say I did an exhaustive search by any stretch though, so it's very possible they are out there.

The MSA's take a little getting used to as far as sound suppression though. They don't cut out altogether like most do. They drop loud sounds down. A gun shot is still louder than the person speaking to you, so with that and their DB reduction which is on the lower side, at first I thought they weren't working very well, but my ears weren't ringing like they would be without hearing protection. After about an 1.5 hours at a crowded indoor range, I was less fatigued than with others, and figured they were working very well.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've been thinking about getting "Decibullz" molded ear plugs. They have a NRR of 31 and they are only about $25 on Amazon. I usually shoot indoors and double up with plugs and muffs, but these look interesting, and comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts