SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

"E2 Style" Upper for Classic P series

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  BGOd42 
#1 ·
Greetings

I was looking at a video on youtube, particularly this one:

And he mentions that his slide to be an "E2 style upper", now I wanted to confirm if this is proper nomenclature for slides that have the long extractor, thus having an extractor roll pin up top and the firing pin retention roll pin not be the whole width of the slide.

This video also mentions that the long extractor is called an e2 extractor, is this proper nomenclature as well?

In addition, does that mean that the time the classic P series shipped with the "E2 style" mainspring and mainspring seat/housing was the time when the "E2 style" slide was produced? Meaning the way to tell if the pistol has an e2 style mainspring seat was to see if it had a long extractor, and if it didn't, does that mean it came with the long plastic mainspring housing/base?

Also wanted to ask around which time did they start using long extractors? And when did they start shipping the pistols with the e2 style mainspring housing/seat?

Apart from this, does anyone know when did they also make the switch from solid retention pins to spiral/coil roll pins for the firing pin and extractor?

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
SIG briefly labeled the updated slides with "E2" along with the 1-piece grip assembly. They quickly stopped labeling them that way as the extractor updates went on all model variations... so having "Mk25 E2" would be confusing. The only E2 nomenclature that continues is in reference to the 1-piece grips on the basic models.

That style upper with the long extractor can fit on any of the older versions of the same model. Later long extractor 9mm P229 slides can even be used on P228s as long as you also transfer the locking insert.

#3 ·
Yes I do remember those slides that had the E2 mark, but I always thought that that was because it had the E2 grips. That being said, did the marking of E2 signify the start of the long extractors?

I understand the slides will work despite a short, long or internal extractor but is it actually a proper way of labeling to call it an E2 slide just because of the long extractor?

#5 ·
Yup that is what I recall as well. Which is why it makes me wonder if the long extractor really did start from the enhanced elite. Apart from that, I wanted to know if someone could confirm if the implementation of the long extractor from then on automatically meant that it would also have an e2 style mainspring housing.

#7 ·
And, at the time of the E2 model introduction, SIG also decided to unify the frames of the P229 (9) and the P229 (.40/.357) to be the same - taking the .40/.357 frame. That's when the 229-1 mag was introduced for the P229 (9). And, now you'll see the 229-1 mag also called the E2 mag on SIG packaging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.