SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used P226 Legion. Took it to the range and had nothing but light strikes. Looked at the firing pin and it seemed it was getting bound up in the channel. No problem I thought, I’ll just disassemble the slide to get the firing pin out, clean things up and be good to go. Oops, I need a special tool - a 3mm half round punch. Again no problem, I’ll check Brownells. Not listed. Uh oh. I checked the SIG site. Not listed. Oh dear. Called SIG. The very polite gentleman said they don’t stock those anymore. I asked him how are folks supposed to replace extractors or firing pins then? He suggested I could make a tool. I told him that I’ve been shooting SIGs for 25 years and this was a **** poor decision on their part. Why would any company put out a design that requires a special tool for normal maintenance, THEN STOP MAKING THE TOOL!
Rant over - anyone have any ideas on how to disassemble an E2 slide without the now unobtainable tool?

·
Premium Member
Poppastar a.k.a. pops
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am on their list. I understand that if you have the right tools, making a custom punch is relatively simple. Unfortunately I don’t have a bench grinder, angle grinder or similar tool. I suppose I could put a 3mm punch in a vice and go after it with a file. 😁. I did exercise the firing pin, the safety block and the safety lever and they all seem to be moving fine. Did the pencil test and it launched right out of the barrel just like my P225. Hopefully I got it freed up. Heading back to the range later today to try again.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Used pistol-
Previous owner wanted a lighter trigger pull?
Owner changed the mainspring to achieve his goal?

Light primer strikes....abound.

(3mm half round punch is to remove the long extractor pin......pushed from inside to topside)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s what I’m thinking. Used pistol, beautiful shape, but trigger felt pretty light. I just tested with my Lyman gauge. The average of 5 pulls is 2 lbs 8 oz single action and 6 lbs 9 oz double action. This seems a trifle light. When I was at the range today I got two rounds to fire, one DA and one SA. But that was it. I tried S&B, SIG and my hand loads. No joy. I brought my 4006 out to ensure it wasn’t an ammo problem and it fired all with no issue. Replace the mainspring with a stock one? Does Wolff make P226 mainsprings?

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also did the pencil test again. My 4006 launched it all the way to the ceiling. The P226 popped it out about 18” or so. A definite difference.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,816 Posts
DA pull is 6 lbs 9 oz? Definitely change the mainspring.

Yes, Wolff makes them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was the average of 5 pulls. A couple were less than 6#. Ok then, sounds like a plan. Thanks for your input - appreciate it!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have put The Sig Armorer Super Struts and Mainsprings in my Classic P Series pistols, including the P226 Legion. If memory serves me the original Sig mainstring is either 21# or 24#. The mainstring that comes with The Sig Armorer Super Strut is 20#. I actually went down 1 more pound and use a Wolff 19# mainstring with the Super Strut. My Lyman average is still 7lb 6.9oz in DA. 4lb 0.5oz in SA. I’ve had no light primer strikes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Danner13, also I would recommend buying a Wolff from one of sights like Brownells as opposed to buying OEM from Sig for 2 reasons. I suspect Sig has someone lime Wolff make their anyway and ordering from Sig can often take 3-4 times longer to receive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good advice. I ordered directly from Wolff. Their service and shipping times are excellent. Just out of curiosity I checked the SIG site. The only mainspring they list is the DAK spring. They wanted twice as much for it as well. I really like SIG’s. I’ve got 5 of them. But SIG is making it hard for me to continue giving them my money. Their support seems to have gone really downhill over the last few years.

I’ve got 17, 18, 19 and 20 lb springs coming. I’m going to start with the 19 and see how she goes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good advice. I ordered directly from Wolff. Their service and shipping times are excellent. Just out of curiosity I checked the SIG site. The only mainspring they list is the DAK spring. They wanted twice as much for it as well. I really like SIG’s. I’ve got 5 of them. But SIG is making it hard for me to continue giving them my money. Their support seems to have gone really downhill over the last few years.

I’ve got 17, 18, 19 and 20 lb springs coming. I’m going to start with the 19 and see how she goes.
Also, I browsed back through the posts and I think you did not remove the firing pin, right? And the one posted was accurate in commenting you do not need the ”half-moon” punch to get the firing pin out, that is for the extractor roll pin. I have only purchased one used Sig pistol which the previous own really bugged up. In addition to the internal parts damage the person had done he (?) also bathed internals in oil. If previous owner of your pistol got a not of oil down in the opening at the firing pin safety plunger there could also be some excess oil in firing pin channel. After putting the 19# Wolff mainspring on if you still have light primer strikes I would remove the firing pin and clean out channel. Also look to see if there are any gouge marks on the lower part of the safety plunger which would indicate it was not being fully suppressed, thus allowing the back internal edge part of the firing pin to hit the plunger - which would reduce impact on primer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the insight. My son in law has the needed tools to fab a half moon punch so I’m going to work with him to make one. My plan is to try the 19# spring and see if the light strikes go away. If not, remove the extractor to get to the firing pin roll pin, remove the firing pin and clean out the channel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts