SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just swapped out the OEM Sig grips on my M11-A1 with the E2 grips. Took roughly 3 minutes to complete. I ordered the Sig p229 E2 Grip Kit from Top Gun Supply (which arrived in two days). Since my M11-A1 already had the new de-cock lever I only had to make the changes to the hammer spring and strut.

If you've never removed that assembly, use a flat head screwdriver in the hole at the bottom of the hammer seat and push up. It's far easier than you might think.

Replace that assy with the new strut and seat and you're good to go.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Thanks for posting up the picture! And welcome to SigTalk!

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
I surely hope the E2 grips on full-size Sigs feel better than they did on the P224; I've heard they are much more sturdy. The P224 SAS grips felt hollow and thin, as someone else described it, "Like something that belongs on a child's toy."

I'm speaking from someone who has pretty large hands though, and I believe the E2s were developed for users with medium to small hands, which is a great option if that's your situation.

Another determining factor however is that production costs for the entire grip probably equals the cost of 4 grip screws, and it's easier to sell Hogue replacements if they don't come with the pistol stock.

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
On the 229/M11-a1 I'm fond of the standard plastic grips on the P224 I LOVE the E2 grips.

I also didn't think the M11-a1 needed the hammer strut swap.
What is the best thing that's so beloved on the P224? I'm just curious, and not trying to start some chit. Also, what hand-size are you, as that might explain a few things.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
What is the best thing that's so beloved on the P224? I'm just curious, and not trying to start some chit. Also, what hand-size are you, as that might explain a few things.
I wear a size large glove. As for the P224, to me it shoots much like a 229/226, soft and very manageable, unlike any other gun its size that I have ever shot. The texture of the E2 grips is also near perfect for my tastes, much like the HK45 and P30 grips, very aggressive with out being painful and they allow me to get higher up on my grip.

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
I wear a size large glove. As for the P224, to me it shoots much like a 229/226, soft and very manageable, unlike any other gun its size that I have ever shot. The texture of the E2 grips is also near perfect for my tastes, much like the HK45 and P30 grips, very aggressive with out being painful and they allow me to get higher up on my grip.
Fair enough. Are you shooting the P224 in a 9mm? I'm getting that barrel (and the .357 SIG as well) for my .40, and am wondering how the 9mm shoots. Given the weight of the P224, I bet the recoil of the 9mm is soooo soft.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Fair enough. Are you shooting the P224 in a 9mm? I'm getting that barrel (and the .357 SIG as well) for my .40, and am wondering how the 9mm shoots. Given the weight of the P224, I bet the recoil of the 9mm is soooo soft.
Yes, mine is a 9mm. Ive never shot a 224 in 40 or 357sig.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wear size XL gloves. So there. lol

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Registered
16 Posts
How can you tell If a M11-A1 already has the new decock lever?

Better yet, a previous post in this string says nothing needed to be changed when swapping to E2 grips, is this true or not?

Thanks

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,832 Posts
How can you tell If a M11-A1 already has the new decock lever?

Better yet, a previous post in this string says nothing needed to be changed when swapping to E2 grips, is this true or not?

Thanks
The M11A1 should be fine, as long as you have the correct Mainspring assembly. The M11A1 is rather "recent" as far as the Decocking Lever is concerned. The use of the Short Hammer Strut, and Long Plastic Mainspring Seat may have been used in some of the earlier models...

If you would post a photo of what you have with the grips removed, it would be easier to tell, what if anything you need.

These "kits" are able to be used on older models too, back to the '80s, on appropriate models, that's why so many parts in the "Kit". The reason they didn't include a "Mainspring", is because except for the German made pistols, the US made versions used the same Mainspring, just possibly a different Hammer Strut, and Mainspring Seat.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd be curious to see what that M11A1 has... I've had 2 M11A1 (june 2018, may 2019) that had the new style with the short strut/long seat (not the E2), and would have figured sig would have been using the E2 style in them by that time. Every other M11A1 before that was still the short strut on the M11A1.

I suspect that it's the phosphated part 1200625-R still being installed... but who knows.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,832 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts