SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have a P229 SAS Gen 2 with the E2 grips on it, and I LOVE the way the grips feel when I'm shooting the pistol. However, I bought a combat cut IWB holster for it, and I quickly noticed that the rough grip texture will rub my skin raw in a matter of hours (especially if I'm sitting down and getting up often) when I carry.

I have heard that people deal with this by wearing undershirts, but I've never really worn undershirts before and my usual attire is a t-shirt. Wearing an undershirt under a t-shirt just feels bulky, and may get pretty warm in the summer months.

I thought about switching to a smoother set of grips, but I have smaller hands, and the E2 grips fit me perfectly. I'm afraid that any grips I got would be larger, and thus, less comfortable.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
55,055 Posts
i had & liked the same '09, 229 sas2b40 & liked the factory grips with screws.

you should have both short trigger & srt, short trigger being better for smaller hands.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Build up a callus.

LOL, just kidding.

I had to start wearing an undershirt when I started carrying my 2022 which has the same grip texture. I buy the "A shirts"( tank top ) which are very thin and after about a week I have gotten used to wearing them. Even with a T shirt it is not that bad. As for getting hot, they are thin enough and in the Texas heat, it doesn't make me sweat anymore than normal.
Only other choice is to change them to a rubber or wooden grip.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, I'm in the process of getting used to the A-shirts. It's not bad... just foreign to me. I like the combat cut on the holster because it allows for a more efficient grip on the draw, so I don't want to change that. I have read that the other grips (Hogue G10, rubber, etc.) are all thicker than the E2 grips, so I don't really think I want to go there... I suppose I should just learn to love the A-shirts and stop whining! :lol:

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
Yes, I'm in the process of getting used to the A-shirts. It's not bad... just foreign to me. I like the combat cut on the holster because it allows for a more efficient grip on the draw, so I don't want to change that. I have read that the other grips (Hogue G10, rubber, etc.) are all thicker than the E2 grips, so I don't really think I want to go there... I suppose I should just learn to love the A-shirts and stop whining! :lol:

I found the G10 grips to be as small as the E2 grip overall and thinner around the controls (slide catch lever, decocking lever and mag release); work better for me. Several different grip surface patterns to choose from also; I think the Piranha is about the least abrasive.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was looking at the Piranha style, but I'm not sure I want to change grips... I love the feel of the E2 grips when I'm shooting. I've been wearing A-shirts under my t-shirts and I'm getting used to the feeling of having two layers on. Now everything is nice and comfy!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
A-shirts under my t-shirts and I'm getting used to the feeling of having two layers on. Now everything is nice and comfy!
+1 the "wife-beater" shirts are a life saver says a guy with two different guns with the E2's.

Those Nate tacticals look interesting. Are the people that have them using the professional or standard model? They seem similar other than stronger rivets on the pro. Anyone used one with a 220? Usually my carry will fit in 229 leather holsters, but not sure about kydex.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hit my e2 grips with 220 sandpaper just to clean off the texture on the surface. Still plenty of grip, but much more comfortable.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, here's a little update:

I've been using my Galco KingTuk with the A-shirts and everything is comfortable, but I can't stop thinking about how much easier it would be if I didn't have to wear those 2 layers... So, I just ordered one of the N82Tactical Professional full-size holsters for my P229. This holster should provide the hard (non-collapsing) shell and retention that I'm used to with my KingTuk, while protecting my side from the grips and allowing for quicker placement and removal of the holster itself (it takes some work to put on and take off the KingTuk).

I have my reservations, though... I carry my P229 at 3 o'clock with a pretty substantial cant so that the grip doesn't print or get in the way while I'm sitting in my car. Since the N82Tactical holsters only have a single screw-in clip, I'm wondering if the clip will move around (thus changing the cant) while I'm carrying. Also, with such a large backing, and the fact that the N82Tactical holsters seem to let the firearm ride higher than what I'm used to with the KingTuk, I'm wondering if there will be more printing than I'm used to...

For those of you who recommended the N82Tactical holsters, could you give me some feedback related to my concerns? I know the holster will be arriving in the mail in the next few weeks, but I'd still like to know! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I use my n8squared holster at 1 o'clock . I tried wearing a few different holsters at 3 o'clock . Just not for me. I wear tee shirts and tank top most of the times and never print.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I carry at 1 o'clock also, and don't bother trying to keep it on my waist when I'm driving. As you noted, it's really easy to put on and take off.

I personally just use the "original" version of the N8^2 holsters, but from what I understand, you can adjust the cant on the professional version.

I'm interested in hearing YOUR feedback on the fit of the holster once you get it back. I wasn't sure if they had used an older GEN 229 when building the mold for the polycarbonate on the professional model.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I realized after placing my order that the only dealer in Texas was about 30 minutes from my house. I called him up, and he had one P229 Professional holster in stock, so I picked it up instead of waiting the 3 weeks! I'm sure the guys at N82Tactical will let me cancel my order but if they don't, I'll keep the second one, and here's why: I've only been wearing this bad boy for an hour or two, and I'm completely thrilled!!! The N82Tactical Professional holster blows my KingTuk away!

First of all, the suede that sits against your skin is extremely soft. I love the way it feels while I'm carrying. It's like a little cushion, and the neoprene that creates the cushioning effect also acts as a moisture barrier between your skin and the firearm. The holster does cause my pistol to ride higher than it did in the KingTuk, but it doesn't cause any printing issues. In fact, since I no longer have to wear undershirts, it seems like it conceals just a bit better because my t-shirt can hang properly instead of clinging to the undershirt at times. When I sit down, there's no uncomfortable rubbing of the E2 grips against my skin like there was with the Galco since the N82Tactical holster backs the entire firearm. The holster is extremely comfortable while I'm in a seated position -- it presses on my side just slightly, but it is by no means "digging in" or causing any discomfort. It's more of a "secure" feeling. After only an hour, I can lift my shirt and look down and actually see the backing molding to my body's curves!! It took me only a couple of draws to get used to the twist retention on the holster, and I love the nice "click" it makes when you holster your firearm. I get a nice smooth draw, and having the backing behind the grip doesn't affect my ability to draw quickly and efficiently at all. The polycarbonate portion of the holster is supposed to be stronger than Kydex, and makes re-holstering a breeze since it doesn't collapse upon drawing. It fits my P229 like a glove! Finally, I was quite surprised to feel how sturdy the screw on the clip is! When you set the clip in a certain position, it's not going to move! I didn't even have to tighten the screw at all once I got the clip adjusted to the right position. I can also take the entire holster off my belt and pop it back on in nothing flat. It's WAY easier than the Galco in that regard.

So, there you have it, folks. I am in LOVE with this holster. I liked the Galco, but I'll probably be selling it soon... Thanks for the advice, everyone! If you haven't tried one of these, or you're tired of wearing undershirts while carrying, you've got to pick one up! I am VERY glad I did.

(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with N82Tactical in any way. I am just a completely satisfied customer!)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
So far it is the best holster I've tried. And I have a few. The price is good and you almost forget you have it on. Are you using a 3 o'clock ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
N82Tactical Holster

I carry my P229 with E2 grips in a N82Tactical professional holster. I really like the grips but if you carry this gun with the E2 grips you will need a holster that will keep the grips from rubbing against your skin. The N82Tactical professional holster does exactly that and I really like this holster. There is a great locking mechanism with the holster that requires you to slightly twist your firearm when drawing but it is nothing that would significantly hamper your draw at all. The holster is very well made and extremely comfortable. It allows you to adjust the cant of the pistol to your liking which is really nice. You could also wear an undershirt to keep the grips from rubbing against your skin, as I'm sure others due, but I would rather not do that. Just a preference. N82Tactical does have another style of holster that does not have a hard casing for the pistol. It has more of a flexible neoprene type of fit to it and with the P229 being a heavier carry gun I did not like it in this type of fit as it seemed to move around a bit. I tried it before I bought the professional. So I would suggest the professional model over the original model for the P229. The original model is good for lighter guns and does allow some flexibility in fitting various guns so in that way it is a nice holster but just not what I was wanting for my P229. Hope this helps and PM me if you have any additional questions that I did not answer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like the OP I really like the E2 grips in combination with the SRT trigger on my M11-A1, but I found the grips to be uncomfortable against my love handles and they grabbed my shirts causing the gun to print when moving around.

Simple fix, 320 grit sandpaper lightly by hand taking the "edge" off the grips while still keeping the overall grip texture. Shirts don't snag anymore and it doesn't rub me raw when I'm driving.

Now to find a IWB Kydex holster that will support the weight of this thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts