SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest NRA mag had an article about a revolver very hard to cock or turn the cylinder. Among other things, the author recommended Sentry Solutions Smooth Kote as a lubricant.

Anyone have an opinion on dry lubes like this vice oil or grease for semi-autos?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
i will use stuff like tri-flow to free up a sticky mechanism like a lock that won't turn or accept a key, but for my firearms i don't try to get fancy.

in areas that need light grease or oil, i use Penn reel lube.
for slides i use lucas marine grease,
both because i already have tons of it.

or i happen to have a free tube of lucas extreme duty gun lube, which i looks exactly the same as their marine grease (at x10 the price?)

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
The only time I've used a dry lube is on the rubber seal on the TDL of my 320's. It works well and doesn't swell the rubber.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The latest NRA mag had an article about a revolver very hard to cock or turn the cylinder. Among other things, the author recommended Sentry Solutions Smooth Kote as a lubricant.

Anyone have an opinion on dry lubes like this vice oil or grease for semi-autos?

I have used Smooth Kote on some of the internal parts on my revolvers. It does not take the place of oil on the cylinder pin or trigger pivot in my opinion. I used it on the smooth face (after polishing) of the rebound slide and on the tip of the sear. I felt it did help the DA trigger weight.

Important: if you choose to use it, allow it to completely dry before touching/reassembly. The molybdenum in it is black and will stick to your skin and clothing. It is almost impossible to remove!

I would NOT use it on semiauto rails. It would be messy in that application I think. I also prefer grease on rails.

The dry lubes/moly compounds seem best suited for small parts that operate under pressure. The compound does not rub off easily when dry but it’s better to use in spaces that are confined with tight clearances I think. Definitely not on parts you regularly touch.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
This spray dry-lube was probably recommended to get into the thing so disassembly won't be necessary.

I'm a fan of Hornady OneShot Cleaner/Lube for getting into places that you can't reach. I've been using the stuff on my actions, fire control mechanisms, and firing pin channels of both metal and poly guns for 30 years.

And I do agree with the consensus that the rails should be greased as well as the locking block contact areas of the barrel/lower receiver and the guide rod.

Reactions: USMC6872

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,004 Posts
I have been using a product called Strike-Hold for several years and really like it. Check it out at strike-hold.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts