SIG Talk banner

Dry Firing Counts. Lessons in Spring Life

1386 7
Ok. So, over the weekend I was practicing Dry Firing using my LaserLyte system in the house while watching TV. (Don't laugh. It gives me a great vent while watching the evening propaganda. I mean the evening news).

So there I was, 7 and clean the screen with my target when suddenly my trigger refuses to reset. It is flipping back and forth and doing nothing valuable. I cock the hammer, but I cannot get the trigger to operate. Hmmm.

Lower hammer. Go to Workbench. Remove slide. Shake frame. Nothing rattles. Remove grips, starting with Right Side. Oops Spring is in 2 pieces. It broke at the bend between the portion that goes to the frame and the curlicue that drives the trigger reset bar and engages it with the sear.

Now this is a 1999 German Frame 239 (my favorite) and I have no idea how many times I have cycled the trigger and hammer. But I have changed the recoil and main spring about every 5 years or so. I guess it was time to get the rest of them.

I am unsure of how many rounds have been fired with the newly acquired SAS 239. And the same goes for the rest of the collection. SO I guess I am going to be buying spring sets this week and doing some Rehabilitation .

I am just glad that this happened when I was at home shooting at the Trump haters. Could have been worse.

I guess Dry Fires Count.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,265 Posts
That was social justice karma, perhaps if you had been following the dryfire regiment endorsed by SEAL DELTA Force Team Seven Bravo you wouldn't have broken your gun. ;)

We, kids and myself, practice dryfire drills utilizing targets on the tv as well. We shoot'em all though. Mostly not Chuck Norris though, kids give me grief for shooting Chuck. :)

·
Registered
4,738 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
kids give me grief for shooting Chuck. :)
You should thank your kids for saving you from a roundkick to the head from the other side of the TV screen. :)

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lesson 2. Took the weapon apart and, since I had new springs for the Hammer Release as well, I took it off. The new one had almost 1/3 more "Wrap" to it then the old one. Yikes. And it was substantially stronger to release and lowered the hammer substantially easier.

And the Main spring (which I changed last year in August) was also a little weaker.

Got to order more kits and keep tighter controls over when and how much I shoot.
Between the 2 239s I generally burn 300 rounds a month. Guess I got to keep tighter track.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a small arch in the spring that broke. The curved one (Hammer release from the lever on the left side) is also substantially weaker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.