SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Browsing Gunbroker and I came across an '80's P226 with an interesting quote in the listing. The proof on the frame near the trigger guard has what looks like finish loss, but the owner describes it as:

"It has been brought to my attention that the pistol's proof mark has two tiny dremel marks over the two letters signifying that this pistol was probably finished being assemble in the Herndon, VA Factory making it a post 1985 pistol with West German Parts, but not 100%."

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/658845074 <- See last photos

It's not entirely clear to me what the seller is stating or trying to say, much less if he is even correct. But has anyone ever heard of something along the above lines?

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
I don't think the seller knows what he is talking about. Seller says he's not 100%. I don't think he's even 10%. :)

With that said, the pic is too small to figure out those marks. To me that is just a WG P226 with some blemishes on the frame, and the price should be reflected accordingly.

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
Seller has no clues. Just some finish loss in the proof mark.
Nothing wrong with it, as far as I'm concerned.
I am happy with my US-made and/or US-assembled SIGs with long extractors. :p :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured the seller was incorrect but wasn't positive. The reason I asked is because one of my W. German P226's (U184XXX) has a similar proof to the seller's (U166XXX). Mine has the original test target in german from West Germany serial numbered to the gun, so I think the seller's suggestion that such W. German P226's with a proof in that condition were "finished being assemble in the Herndon, VA Factory making it a post 1985 pistol with West German Parts" is highly unlikely, not to mention the statement itself doesn't really make any sense.

Here's a cropped part of the best photo I have on hand of the proof from my U184XXX P226. My U350XXX P226 doesn't have a proof in that condition (it does have the proof itself however, which is also stamped horizontally.) I will take a closer look another time and try to snap a photo through 10x magnification, but to my memory it looked like finish loss surrounding the proof. Were the proofs applied after the frame with finished?

·
Registered
821 Posts
They put the proof marks on after assembly is completed and a high pressure "proof" load has been fired without any damage.

You can see flaking like that around the sear spring pin in the rail groove on the left side of the frame on newer SIGs.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Does not look like Dremel work to me. I have seen SIGs with the finish around the proof mark and in the frame rails, in the area indicated by winterwar, showing that tiny loss of finish. If I wanted the gun, that would not deter me in the least........ymmv

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I don't think that looks like Dremel marks. Not sure what it is. As others have said, it could be flaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.