SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought mine through Zahal and it is working great. I asked Zahal what should I expect for the life of the springs and their response was that DPM says it should last 100,000 rounds. Sure beats the 3,500 rounds of the Sig spring.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The life of the DPM System is supposed to be 45,000 rounds, not 100,000. This still beats SIG's recommended replacement frequency by a bunch.

DPM provides 3 external (green) springs of 3 different lengths. You're supposed to start with the shortest spring. After 15,000 rounds install the middle spring. After another 15,000 rounds install the long spring. After a total of 45,000, the entire system should be replaced. (Of course, use 1 spring at a time.)

DPM also provides 2 "washers" and advise that a washer should always be used. With the narrow washer the recoil strength is about 18# with he slide fully retracted/open. With the wide washer the recoil strength is 22#. I found the narrow washer worked well for me.

The change out of the springs is required because the two internal (red & yellow) springs lose their ductility with use. After 45,000 rounds the internal springs are shot and the entire system should be replaced.

These instructions came from DPM and ZAHAL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack#9,
I have not seen the directions you are giving. Where did they come from so I can follow up on them?
I was quoting what Zahal told me.
Thanks!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Jack#9,
I have not seen the directions you are giving. Where did they come from so I can follow up on them?
I was quoting what Zahal told me.
Thanks!
The directions that came with my DPMS were very obviously written by someone whose first language was not English.

I contacted ZAHAL Customer Service and asked specific questions concerning how to use the springs and washers, replacement, DPMS "life" etc.

After a number of email exchanges I was able to construct a set of decent instructions. Some of the very clear conclusions were:
  • Spring usage order is short, medium, long; change them every 15,000 rounds.
  • System life is 45,000 rounds.
  • The DPMS works like a "variable" recoil spring; the strength increases as the slide retracts. With the thin washer the force is 18# when the slide it fully retracted and, with the wide washer, it's 22#. A washer must always be used.
  • Never try to replace the springs with another supplier's product.
Supposedly ZAHAL was going back & forth with DPM for help answering some of my questions. My contact at ZAHAL was Kerstin.

The instructions, as I finally understood them, made sense to me. So I'm adhering to them. I've been using the thin washer and the short spring in my P210A for several thousand rounds with no problems of any kind.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would you say that the positive difference is able to be felt and worth the price?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Would you say that the positive difference is able to be felt and worth the price?
No, I can't say that I felt any reduction in recoil. But that wasn't the reason I purchased the DPMS.

When I purchased my P210A I intended to comply with SIG's recommendation to replace the recoil spring assembly every 2,500-3,000 rounds. So I tried to buy a replacement recoil assembly. It took about 9 months before SIG got tired of hearing from me and sold me one.

I had heard of recoil assembly failures and decided to purchase the DPMS. Definitely one of my better decisions.

I bought the DPMS to keep my P210A running. It works great. So I really didn't care about recoil reduction.

The SIG assembly costs $50, if & when you can get one. The DPMS cost me about $125 but is good for 15X the number of rounds. That's a heckova bargain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can see the logic in that. When something breaks, I try to replace it with something better. That will probably happen when my first Sig recoil spring needs to be replaced.
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quick Question: I tried installing my DPMS 210 Recoil System into my P-210 Target...about 1 year old. The original recoils spring is fine, and I wanted the added bonus of saving it and having a more durable recoil system from DPMS to enjoy.
I used the thin washer and shortest spring. I found it much stiffer to install than the original, but got it in place and everything back together.
The slide felt stiffer and I assumed the recoil could be better handled.
BUT the slide stop and hold open function wouldn;t work. Put in an empty mag, rack the slide, and it didn't stay open.
Take the slide out, rack the slide and it would stay open. The slide stop lever seemed jammed "down" and wouldn't rotate upward.
I took it all apart and made sure everything was seated OK and it repeated the failure to hold open and lever "binding".
I reinstalled the original recoil rod and spring, and everything worked fine.
So now I have an entire DPMS 210 Recoil System that apparently doesn't work in my 210.
***?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. When you install the DPMS you first insert the thin washer, make sure it is seated all the way forward. Then insert the DPMS rod so that it "skewers" the washer. Pull back on the DPMS link and insert it under the barrel. Then reassemble the pistol.

I have heard some people say that the slide stop spring can become jammed during reassembly. A tip I was given is to retract the slide till the notch in the rail shows up (on the left side) and push hard on the slide stop pin to clear the frame. Once the pin catch clears the frame, release the slide back to forward position and pull the pin out. Going back together, start with the slide in normal battery position, insert the slide stop pin until it touches the frame, then pull back the slide to expose the notch and push the pin the rest of the way in. Doing this avoids stressing the spring.

Although, if you say reinstalling the SIG recoil spring assembly your P210 works fine, It doesn't sound like you are jamming the spring. But I just disassembled and reassembled my P210A Target with the DPMS (narrow washer, short spring) and I don't see how the DPMS could cause this issue. I have about 1,500 rounds through mine, with the DPMS, with no issues of any kind. Disassembled and reassembled many times.

Are you sure you have the correct model of DPMS for the P210A Target 9MM? I really didn't notice that the DPMS was much stiffer than the SIG assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts