SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having owned a P250c several years ago, I had no hesitation when buying my 320c. I am a left handed shooter and was sold on the modular and ambidextrous platform. However, unlike my p250, I have had a major issue with the "left-handed" slide catch/stop/release on the 320. It is extremely stiff, to the point where both thumbs are needed to actuate the mechanism. And yes, I understand there are a lot of people out there who would argue manually charging the slide is more effective. I don't want to get into that debate other than saying, I want the option to do both.

I have the new style grip module, with a matching slide release (of course). I have noticed a lot of flex in the slide catch assembly while pushing down on the "left-handed" lever, which makes sense, given the slide catch only really engages on the other side of the slide. I am curious whether the updated slide catch level is thinner than the initial release version, especially towards the external control surface.

Either way. if anyone has any suggestions about my issue with the new design, or if anyone is willing to donate/sell their leftover grip module and slide catch lever after upgrading to the new design, any help would be greatly appreciated.

--other than my small issue above and a stiff take-down lever, it is an awesome piece of machinery. If you're thinking about picking one up, do it.

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
Greetings and welcome to SIGTalk from Alaska. Good luck in your quest, I would be surprised if you can not find the original style online somewhere.

Reactions: AmbiOnly

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I guess you could learn to pull the slide back and release it instead . Never felt like todays thin metal slide catch levers would hold up long term if used as a release too.

Only time I have used a slide hold open is when in the cleaning process to easy up to hold the slide back but I learn that way 46 years ago .

Other make handguns have thin metal slide hold opens too and are also some what flexable and hard to manipulate at times .

·
Registered
655 Posts
as a lefty, i understand your pain.

this is why i'm a big fan of the Gen1 frame/slide release. I remember getting my hands on a Gen2 p320 when they first came out and immediately noticed that I couldnt use my thumb to release the slide. The salesperson at my LGS said that it doesnt act as a release on the right side for some odd reason. Sure enough, i was able to easily release the slide when i switched to my right hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as a lefty, i understand your pain.

this is why i'm a big fan of the Gen1 frame/slide release. I remember getting my hands on a Gen2 p320 when they first came out and immediately noticed that I couldnt use my thumb to release the slide. The salesperson at my LGS said that it doesnt act as a release on the right side for some odd reason. Sure enough, i was able to easily release the slide when i switched to my right hand.
I had the same experience. With a right-handed grip, no problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
There are plenty of members here that would be willing to swap the parts with you. I have one black and one FDE compact frame in Medium as extras if you're looking. IDK if TGS has them in stock or what gen theirs will be.
anbuyoshi, if you would be willing to sell either of your frames with the old slide catch assembly, I would be glad to work something out. I have searched a few places for used gen 1 parts, but it seems like everyone only wants/sells gen 2. Considering Sig has been giving updated slide stops out for free with all gen 2 grips, I thought people would be dumping them on the market dirt cheap. I haven't found a single post about someone trying to get rid of them. Given the old grip modules and new grips have the SKU, it sounds like I could end up with either model if I order online.

Dont get me wrong, the gen 2 has a sleek look. But, it would be awesome if a downgrade helped my issue.

I am new to the Sig Talk community, so Im not sure about proper etiquette for such a transaction is. I assume a PM is the way to go.

Regardless, it is nice to wake up the next morning and see people all over this issue. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
anbuyoshi, if you would be willing to sell either of your frames with the old slide catch assembly, I would be glad to work something out. I have searched a few places for used gen 1 parts, but it seems like everyone only wants/sells gen 2. Considering Sig has been giving updated slide stops out for free with all gen 2 grips, I thought people would be dumping them on the market dirt cheap. I haven't found a single post about someone trying to get rid of them. Given the old grip modules and new grips have the SKU, it sounds like I could end up with either model if I order online.

Dont get me wrong, the gen 2 has a sleek look. But, it would be awesome if a downgrade helped my issue.

I am new to the Sig Talk community, so Im not sure about proper etiquette for such a transaction is. I assume a PM is the way to go.

Regardless, it is nice to wake up the next morning and see people all over this issue. Thanks for the feedback.

I PM'd you my offer, but would recommend that you shoot the firearm until the springs loosen up. Totally up to you as I am unsure of how many rounds you've sent down range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I PM'd you my offer, but would recommend that you shoot the firearm until the springs loosen up. Totally up to you as I am unsure of how many rounds you've sent down range.
Ive only fired 200, so its practically brand new. If you think it is worth waiting, Id love to keep the pistol as is.

Any experience on the discussion boards with people having the same issue getting better over time? Ive seen a few complaints, but no resolution so far.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Ive only fired 200, so its practically brand new. If you think it is worth waiting, Id love to keep the pistol as is.

Any experience on the discussion boards with people having the same issue getting better over time? Ive seen a few complaints, but no resolution so far.

Many firearms will be tight and will loosen up. Just keep the controls as they are for the time being. You can accelerate it by locking on and empty mag and releasing with the lever a bunch of times. Do it while watching TV or something.

To confirm, what caliber do you have? The .45 ACP versions are different than the smaller bore counterparts.

·
Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
438 Posts
Many firearms will be tight and will loosen up. Just keep the controls as they are for the time being. You can accelerate it by locking on and empty mag and releasing with the lever a bunch of times. Do it while watching TV or something.

To confirm, what caliber do you have? The .45 ACP versions are different than the smaller bore counterparts.
That's been my experience too. I got a gen 2 setup with a 357 sig conversion kit. When used with my original 9MM that had 1,100 rounds through it, the gen 2 slide release lever worked just fine. With the 357 Sig slide assembly it was tighter. I've put 500 rounds through the 357 Sig now and it is loosening up and getting closer to the feel of the 9MM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It is the 9mm compact. And, that seems to be the consensus so far. Between the slide release and the takedown lever, Ill have to give my thumbs some time to heal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's been my experience too. I got a gen 2 setup with a 357 sig conversion kit. When used with my original 9MM that had 1,100 rounds through it, the gen 2 slide release lever worked just fine. With the 357 Sig slide assembly it was tighter. I've put 500 rounds through the 357 Sig now and it is loosening up and getting closer to the feel of the 9MM.
Just to confirm, are you talking about the "left-handed" slide release?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, no - didn't focus on which side in my reply. I'm right handed, so haven't specifically tested the left side.
No problem. And yes, the right-handed slide release works perfect. It just seems like there is too much flex in the linkage for the other side. I've played with a bit over the past few days and my thumb is either getting stronger or it might be starting to loosen up. I am going to call it at 500 rounds though. If it is as stiff as it currently is, I am going all out on the gen1 grip/slide release downgrade. Anbuyoshi was kind enough to make an offer on the parts, but it sounded like he thought I should hold off for a while. I'll have to check with him when I hit my round count and see if they are still available. For anyone else trying to ditch their gen1 9mm compact frame and slide release, I would like to have a few prospective sellers on standby, just in case the original seller has to get rid of the items before my purchase.

Again, thank you everyone for the prompt feedback. It is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Ambi, use the index/thumb pinch for a while to help you loosen it up. The spring is located under the base of the slide stop where the two halves met. It is in the FCU and that is what needs to loosen up.

Just sit in front of a TV show marathon and rack/release with an empty mag for a while. It'll loosen up and you get to save ammo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ambi, use the index/thumb pinch for a while to help you loosen it up. The spring is located under the base of the slide stop where the two halves met. It is in the FCU and that is what needs to loosen up.

Just sit in front of a TV show marathon and rack/release with an empty mag for a while. It'll loosen up and you get to save ammo.
anbuyoshi, thanks for the advice. However, doesn't that spring (FCU under the lever) actuate the slide stop lever toward the down position? I haven't dug into the FCU yet, but I checked out a few youtube videos on replacing the slide stop and it looks like that component is to prevent accidental engagements during operation. From what I can see, I think most of the tension is coming from the recoil spring. I am still working the pistol though. Maybe something will loosen up or I will inadvertently polish the working surfaces.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.