SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20,181 Posts
I've never seen that before. Someone definitely didn't know what they were doing. :(

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Cant imagine that not being intentional. Maybe it was a Monday. 😱

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,142 Posts
What's funny, is that it sticks out as far as the raised cocking serrations. The Milled slides were slightly wider than the folded ones, where the pins barely cleared the inner portions of the cocking serrations of the slides. Makes me wonder if these were an initial feature, later changed to the solid splined pins, while this slide doesn't appear to have a larger hole on the left for the splines. from these expanded views.

Table Guitar accessory Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

Furniture Table Guitar accessory Wood Communication Device

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
What's funny, is that it sticks out as far as the raised cocking serrations. The Milled slides were slightly wider than the folded ones, where the pins barely cleared the inner portions of the cocking serrations of the slides. Makes me wonder if these were an initial feature, later changed to the solid splined pins, while this slide doesn't appear to have a larger hole on the left for the splines. from these expanded views.

View attachment 416455

View attachment 416456
And, they aren’t very straight. I would think a Sport model would be straight up and down. 🤔

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my original thought, too, evolution of the FPPP. But then, the one below with milled slide, also from 1996, but earlier than the one in OP (U568875), based on the serial # (U562491), has the solid pin. It's a head scratcher.

·
12,142 Posts
And, they aren’t very straight. I would think a Sport model would be straight up and down. 🤔
Are you talking about the Cocking Serrations, or the Roll Pin seams?🤔

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
12,142 Posts
That was my original thought, too, evolution of the FPPP. But then, the one below with milled slide, also from 1996, but earlier than the one in OP (U568875), based on the serial # (U562491), has the solid pin. It's a head scratcher.

Of course we are talking about 25 year old weapons too. Should one be an unfired, in known original untouched condition, that one, would be the benchmark! A closer examination, would be optimum!

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Watching you guys go back & forth like this is awesome. Love it every time I see it.
The knowledge thats so obviously in your heads and not parroted threads, watching you sort it out never getting testy, just plowing forward to resolution.
When I get to the last post in these type of threads Im always like dammit lol Wish it could go on more.
I follow all the links, look at all the serial # info you guys put forth. Read it all for myself and I dont even have or will ever have such a project in front of me. :ROFLMAO:
If your a gun guy tho the knowledge is captivating to me.
99.9% of people would never notice this in the 1st place, you guys are on it like a duck on a june bug.
Just wanted to say Thanks while it was on my mind.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't think it's unreasonable that Sig would use whatever pins they had on hand when they assembled the guns. It could vary from day to day and from assembler to assembler. Finding a NIB example wouldn't prove anything one way or the other. It's very possible that two otherwise identical production pistols could have different style pins.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Roll pin seams. I’ve seen a couple where it wasn’t exactly 12:00-6:00, but never one that far off from the factory. If the older two piece weren’t traditionally shorter, I would think it has been altered.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm a fly on a wall here but wanted to ask if:
1- The solid pin replaces the older pin (inner & outer)?
2- What does the single coil pin replace?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I'm a fly on a wall here but wanted to ask if:
1- The solid pin replaces the older pin (inner & outer)?
2- What does the single coil pin replace?
I don’t think the solid FPPP “replaced” the the double pins per se. It was just part of the newly designed stainless steel milled slide that replaced the stamped carbon steel slide.

I believe there is a spiral roll pin to replace the double roll pins and I believe there is also a spiral pin to replace the solid FPPP. I don’t know if the spiral pins are the same, or two different ones. As I remember it the spiral pin replacement for the roll pins was not an official SIG part but was offered by a member of that other SIG forum, at least in the beginning.

Actually, I think it is more correct to use the word substitute rather than replace.

·
Registered
20,181 Posts
The new spiral roll pin is too small in diameter to use on carbon steel slides. Gerry R used to send out free of charge spiral roll pins that were the correct size to replace the double roll pin setup of carbon steel slides.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I’ve seen both used. My M11A1 has a SS slide and has the inner and outer pin. I’ve seen P229s with these pins from the factory as well. My guess is Sig uses what they have on hand to get rid of surplus supply. Kinda how we got P228Rs years ago.

Air gun Trigger Grey Line Gun barrel

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts