SIG Talk banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
M17+M18+XCarry+Various Parts = Three frankensigs
570 Posts
It would appear the MS just adds one more component that can be problematic. Makes me wonder about Sig QC on these guns where it takes both hands to move the safety, oil or no oil.
Is this a common problem? With my p320’s it's effortless to flip the safety on and off, it's just a click. I would consider a gun where it took work to get the safety flipped in either direction you be a defective gun that cannot be safely carried.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The safety on my P365MS easily goes on and off. The P365 is a bit stiff out of the box, but after shooting a couple hundred rounds it loosens up.

·
Registered
368 Posts
People use the p365 as a pocket gun, without a holster. The only safe way to carry like that is with an empty chamber.

So now it has this complicated safety where if it's in the wrong state and you go to rack the slide you can't. Not a happy situation if you're doing that in a defensive situation, and not just at the range.

If there is then an advantage in it being decocked that will result in pulling the trigger as part of your daily routine, or when reholstering.

I hate pulling the trigger for any reason other than to intentionally fire a gun.
As to your first point many here would think it very unwise to pocket carry without a holster and even more so with an empty chamber when you have a pistol with a manual safety.

2nd point, if you had an empty chamber why even have the safety on to start much less even have a manual safety model. Since it seems a lot of defensive moments occur rapidly wouldn't you be better off having one in the pipe with the manual safety engaged to do the job it was intended for instead of fiddling around with trying to rack the slide, you element of surprise is long gone.

Thirdly there is no advantage to having it decocked, and if you hate pulling the trigger for any reason I'd assume you don't dry fire much on your days off. But if that works for you, good for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So now it has this complicated safety where if it's in the wrong state and you go to rack the slide you can't. Not a happy situation if you're doing that in a defensive situation, and not just at the range.
Complicated? If it's up it's on safe; if it's down it's not.

110 years of 1911 cocked & locked carry sounds pretty happy to me... :cool:

·
Registered
570 Posts
As to your first point many here would think it very unwise to pocket carry without a holster and even more so with an empty chamber when you have a pistol with a manual safety.

2nd point, if you had an empty chamber why even have the safety on to start much less even have a manual safety model. Since it seems a lot of defensive moments occur rapidly wouldn't you be better off having one in the pipe with the manual safety engaged to do the job it was intended for instead of fiddling around with trying to rack the slide, you element of surprise is long gone.

Thirdly there is no advantage to having it decocked, and if you hate pulling the trigger for any reason I'd assume you don't dry fire much on your days off. But if that works for you, good for you.
Versatility. You might use the safety in one situation and not in another.

Obviously carrying in a holster is better but if in some situation pocket carry is all that's possible I'd rather have a gun I need to rack than not have one at all.

My comment that it's complex is that the gun had multiple states it can be in, and what you can do with it depends on a non obvious internal state. I'm going to have to remember what state it's in to know what to do to bring it into action, and if somebody is shooting at me I bet I will forget and end up trying to do something that won't work.

I'd rather be able to rack the slide no matter what. Maybe I'll eject a round by accident, but if the next round still gets chambered and I can fire the gun then I accomplished what I was doing and fired the gun, even if it was not needed that's better than standing there wondering what's going on with bullets flying my way.

Thumb safeties are ALREADY complicated, adding on hidden interactions with the slide is crazy.

·
Registered
724 Posts
People use the p365 as a pocket gun, without a holster. The only safe way to carry like that is with an empty chamber.

If there is then an advantage in it being decocked that will result in pulling the trigger as part of your daily routine, or when reholstering.

I hate pulling the trigger for any reason other than to intentionally fire a gun.
It seems you're over-thinking this. With the manual safety version of the P365 you can keep it "cocked n' locked" with a round in the chamber. Carried that way you have nothing to worry about regarding the safety except to remember to snick it off when you present the weapon.

Personally I think carrying any striker-fired pistol in the pocket without a holster is a bad idea, but at least the manual safety will give you an added hedge against a ND. I would never carry a non-MS version of any striker-fired pistol in the pocket with no holster, and I certainly would never carry a defense firearm with the chamber empty either. If you want to pocket carry and not rely on a safety then get something that's double-action.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I guess I don’t understand - what’s the big deal? Flipping the safety off is part of the draw stroke when carrying P365MS - which I always pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis. AFA ability to engage safety only when cocked - yeah, I think that’s odd, but it is what it is. That’s how I practice, dry and hot, so that’s what I’m accustomed to. Practice, familiarity and consistency with the weapon you carry are paramount, whatever its characteristics.

Pocket-Carrying a non-holstered, no safe, striker fired pistol with a round chambered is just ASKING to be one of those “went off by itself” people.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It seems you're over-thinking this. With the manual safety version of the P365 you can keep it "cocked n' locked" with a round in the chamber. Carried that way you have nothing to worry about regarding the safety except to remember to snick it off when you present the weapon.

Personally I think carrying any striker-fired pistol in the pocket without a holster is a bad idea, but at least the manual safety will give you an added hedge against a ND. I would never carry a non-MS version of any striker-fired pistol in the pocket with no holster, and I certainly would never carry a defense firearm with the chamber empty either. If you want to pocket carry and not rely on a safety then get something that's double-action.
Without a holster I'd only carry it with an empty chamber. The question then is if some complicated condition of the firearm going to prevent me from racking the slide?

The safety is obviously not helping in that situation, but you might want the safety for holster carry and sometimes carry it one way and sometimes the other.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Never force yourself into a situation where you're having to carry your EDC chamber empty. It becomes a two-handed weapon at a time when you might only have one hand to spare. You could also fail to rack the slide properly while under stress and cause the weapon to malfunction.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts