SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Habitually. Almost compulsively.

It's just as important to verify loaded as it is to verify empty, IMO.

Banned
No.
Though I do clear the weapon, load a round then reload the mag near daily. Other than that I tend to -- wait for it........know the condition of my weapon. ;) :)

Registered
No, I don't press check after loading the mag in my carry pistol.. I know its load and nothing has changed since loading it ..

I would drop the mag and press check any pistol I would pick up other then my carry to ensure I know whether it is load or not !!

Registered
I just do like the movies, If i set my pistol down after a hard day at work and later get a phone call that something has happened, before I reholster and run out the door, I always drop the mag, look at it, then ram it into the pistol with a hard slap against the magwell.
Apparently, I can never remember if or how many people I shot that day or how many rounds may have fallen out of the mag wile laying on the dresser, so I always check to see if there are anymore left.

All BS aside, I carry a revolver EDC, I have 2 load indicator slots built into the design.

Registered
Before I holster my CCW I press check and assure the magazine is fully seated. Two full mags in the pouch and I'm good to go.

Reactions: CA Patriot

Banned

Registered
Never, my carry gun is ALWAYS loaded.
Fair enough.

I dry-fire practice with my EDC though, and it's also the gun I usually compete and train with (and am required to clear safe afterwards). So its loaded/empty status changes frequently.

That's why I press-check it every time it goes on duty. In competition and in training, I've seen guys drop the hammer on empty chambers that they were SURE were loaded. Like they say, that click is deafening when you're expecting a boom.

Banned
I find that I press check more when I've unloaded the gun than when I'm carrying it. I do occasionally check it, but not always a press check. On the Glock I can look and see the silver casing through the crack in the slide and chamber, but I press check before I pull the trigger after I've unloaded it.

Reactions: SlySleuth and jehu

Registered
Fair enough.

I dry-fire practice with my EDC though, and it's also the gun I usually compete and train with (and am required to clear safe afterwards). So its loaded/empty status changes frequently.

That's why I press-check it every time it goes on duty. In competition and in training, I've seen guys drop the hammer on empty chambers that they were SURE were loaded. Like they say, that click is deafening when you're expecting a boom.
Different situations for different people for sure. I don't dry fire my EDC and when done range shooting (my backyard basically) I clean, load and re holster right away so there's never a question if it's loaded, it's always loaded ;)

Registered
I really hate showing my ignorance, but I ain't never heared of no press check 'afore in my whole entire life. Whazit mean? Zat when you think the gunz loaded and you pull back on the slide to see if there's a cartridge chambered, or sumthin else?

Registered
I do. That is how I was taught by people who know more about shooting than I do. I have habits and routines that I feel keep me safe, and that is part of my routine. Every day I--(ensure pointing in a safe direction ) drop the mag, press check, tap the mag on something firm to make sure rounds are seated and in line, re-insert the mag, flip the safety off, then back on, holster my weapon, and carry on.

Registered
I really hate showing my ignorance, but I ain't never heared of no press check 'afore in my whole entire life. Whazit mean? Zat when you think the gunz loaded and you pull back on the slide to see if there's a cartridge chambered, or sumthin else?
As far as I can tell, Yes. I believe its a super trooper tactical jargon they teach at those armchair warrior weekend tactical classes. :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.