SIG Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this wouldn't be nearly as useful to seasoned SIG owners, but it could help those that are starting off with the brand and wanting to know what each pistol model number means (i.e. Glock 19 = compact 9mm double stack) as a quick resource for those conducting a google search. Included are a quick rundown of typical SIG models, but also an example of the sub-model line of the P226 (which I believe would have the most variants available)

So I guess the typical question is "SIG Pistol Cheat Sheet", "What do SIG model numbers mean", "Differentiating SIG models", "How does SIG name their pistols", or "What are the specific SIG models"

Here’s a rundown of the models (from the top of my head) not included is their 1911 line for time's sake

There’s the hammer fired classic p series:
-P210 classic single stack 9mm target pistol, this is the pioneer pistol that had the slide ride under the rails which the CZ75 design is supposedly based off from
-P220 (full size .45 acp/10mm single stack), the granddaddy of the SIG pistols, was also sold under licensing from Browning at a time as the Browning BDA 45
-P224 (double stack subcompact 9/40/357sig),
-P225 (single stack full size 9mm that's recently popping up in a compact configuration to replace the P239, which is the commonly forgotten da/sa single stack compact pistol in 9/40/357, was the descendant of the P6, a 9mm P220 built as one of the original German service pistols
-P226 (full size 9mm/.40/.357sig double stack) also has a model called MK25. There were also some releases of a MK24 which was just the MK25 without the 1913 rail, there’s not much literature on this though due to its few quantities
-P227 is a full size double stack .45acp,
-P228 old, typically West German compact double stack 9mm only,
-P229 new compact double stack 9mm/40/357sig, has two slide variations, legacy with half height slide serrations and the modern full length 226/228 style slide serrations. There’s also a variant called the M11-A1, it’s got 228 markings on the grip but is built off of a 229 frame.

And the other metal framed SIGs:
-P232 is a Walther ppk copy, formerly known as the P230.
-P238 microcompact .380 single stack sao, similar to a colt mustang
-P938 microcompact 9mm single stack sao, similar to a colt mustang

The classic p series are typically DA/SA with some sao versions, if it’s sao it’s got an external ambidextrous thumb safety. .

For the polymer ones:
-P250 is a Dao polymer framed pistol,
-P320 is new striker fired polymer pistol that also includes the military models M17(full sized) and M18 (compact),
-P365 is the new micro compact striker fired 10rd 9mm.

There’s also the SP2022/formerly the SP2009 in 9mm only and SP2340 in 40/357 which is now currently a DA/SA polymer framed double stack in 9/40/357sig

Take note the P250 and P320 (as well as some classic p series I.e. 220,229,227) can have a C after its model number denoting compact. That may be a smaller slide, though not necessarily a “compact” sized slide as with the case of the 229C having a 224 subcompact slide on a compact 229 frame.

There’s also the suffix SC for subcompacts for the P250 and P320’s denoting a subcompact frame.

Some of the forgotten ones are the P290 and P290RS, it's a polymer framed microcompact DAO, I believe RS stands for "restrike" capability, it was replaced by the 365

One more thing that can fall under this category is the 220C, C standing for compact slide and frame. This is essentially the P245, a compact single stack 45 that's not to be confused with the 220 carry which should have a full size frame albeit with a compact slide.

Additionally, most DA/SA pistols have the capability of being a DAK, a double action kellerman, which would sport a bobbed hammer and function similarly, though not exactly, like a DAO. That difference would be in trigger pull weights depending on reset points. Full let off of the trigger means less pull weight required while letting off just to reset point requires a heavier trigger pull despite the lesser trigger travel.

It doesn’t end there though.. there are submodels per model. The biggest line of submodels would be from the P226, so I’ll use that as an example. This would usually hold true even for the 229 and 220.

Nitron and Mk25 (and Combat) are built from a base model 226. The mk25 and combat both have phosphate coated (I believe they're recently switching coatings due to the original phosphate one's being too gritty in trigger feel) internals that is said to be anti-corrosion, however, after a few rounds, that can wear off, they also have a true mil std 1913 rail. It's also not good to purchase one if you're just planning to swap out an SRT kit on it. The sear and safety lever wouldn't have the coating. The MK25 does have the anchor, UID sticker and 3 standard capacity magazines though. It's also got the older short external extractor, some like how that extractor looks compared to the longer one found on almost all the other 226's (except LDC with the short extractor and X5s with the internal X5 extractor). An MK25 is basically a nitron with the coating and the standard polymer grips + anchor, UID sticker and the 1 extra mag without the long extractor.

The "middle of the road" is a mix between an elite and a base model frame. These pistols would include the Extreme, Select, Talo Carry for the 229 and even the Tribal series. They have the elite slide with front cocking serrations but use a non-elite frame so it doesn’t have the checkering and extended beavertail. It also comes with SRT as long as the SRT was already invented when the pistol came out bar the Combat model (e.g. I believe that the “tribal” model may have not come with SRT since that pistol series came out before the introduction of SRT)

Elites, on the other hand, would have an extended beavertail frame with the front strap and front of the trigger guard checkering. There are German made elites that have the mil-spec 1913 rail in both aluminum and stainless frames with also black versions of the all steel ones. There were instances of the earlier all steel German elites having the X5 under the trigger guard undercut. These German elites also typically come with the standard SIG OEM polymer grips. However, for the most part, I'll be referring to the US made ones here on forth. There are also some that come with different sets of sights (TFO front on TacOps, Adjustable combat rear sights on Dark Elite) and grips (Magwell grips on TacOps, Aluminum G10 on Dark Elite, E2 on Enhanced Elite). Magazines also may vary with the TacOps getting 4 extended mags. SRT is also standard for Elites and they also have the Elite slide with the front cocking serrations. There are also some barrel differences, with the tacops recently being offered only with the threaded barrel. I believe there's a MK25 that has an option for this too.

A Legion is basically just a "dolled" up elite. It's got the PVD finish (that's said to be less wear resistant), smaller 224 controls, a medium sized extended beavertail, Front strap, front and under the trigger guard checkering, and the elite front cocking serration slide. One other thing it has is the x5 trigger undercut. It comes standard with 3 standard capacity mags, Xray sights, solid OEM guide rod, and g10 legion grips. You also get the coin, case, and membership for their legion exclusive stuff. There's also an SAO legion and a DA/SA. Legions are said to come with an action enhancement polish from factory, though some say it's just the feed ramp and not the internals. It also comes with an overtravel adjustable trigger but I feel that if you really want a good trigger, you'd end up replacing it for a dual adjustable trigger (DA pretravel and overtravel) of a trigger shoe you prefer.

There's also the competition "Elites". These are namely the LDC and the original P226 X5 Line. They're primarily made from all steel construction and typically have competition adjustable target sights. LDC's are DA/SA only and have a long dust cover for more weight up front, X5's are mostly SAO with the exception of the All Around. All of them also come with bull barrels. They also cost quite a bit of coin too. An LDC is pretty much called a “cheaper 226 X5 All Around”. It still has a 4.4-inch bbl and the only thing it lacks compared to an X5 would be the undercut. It’s still built off of a stainless elite frame with a long dust cover. An x5 primarily has a 5-inch bbl. There were two generations, an older looking one that looks quite similar to the 5inch barreled 10mm 220s and then the modern looking 226s. They typically are SAO and have multi-adjustable triggers for weight, reach, pretravel and overtravel. Typically comes with a different set of grips, like the supermatch uses some form of chain link grips. German made LDC's either have polymer SIG OEM grips or E3 one-piece ergonomic grips. I typically see US made LDC's have either the E2 grips. LDC TacOps models have the SIG OEM polymer tacops magwell grips. Magwells are also common, these magwells are auxiliary magwells too. The newer ones mostly also have an enlarged sport takedown lever. Both LDC and X5s have enlarged magazine release and slide release (slide release I believe is actually just flared upwards). There are also quite a few more variants of the LDC (2, tacops, 2 tacops) and the X5 has even more (All Around/Allround is DA/SA, Xshort has the standard length 4.4-inch bbl and slide, x6, supermatch, open, entry, classic etc)

Please feel free to add if there are other important things that I may have missed. Also please advise if I may have had some typos or errors. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Thanks for the SIG basic knowledge primer.....

Reactions: BGOd42

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking to buy my first Sig. I've got my eye on a "new to me" P226 .40 cal. After reading till my head hurt trying to figure out which "model" it is (mk25, legion, tac ops...) Seems like there are a million variations of the 226. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Also what would a fair price range be for this pistol from a private seller?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FYI, P230 became the P232, not the P222.
There we go, I was looking for that typo and couldn't find it anymore

Thanks!

Mk 25 has 1913 rail,and so does combat. Combat has elite slide and hard chrome phosphates barrel.
Forgot to point that one out, thanks!

The SP models are incorrect or at least incomplete. The SP2009 came in 9mm only, the SP2022 comes in 9mm/.40/.357, and the SP2340, which was the first and was left out came in .40 and .357Sig.
There we go, I knew I was forgetting the digits of the old 40 sp series, thanks for the info. I didn't bother to segregate the models as they weren't in production anymore and for time's sake when I originally constructed the post. I'll be sure to edit it accordingly, thanks!

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Looking to buy my first Sig. I've got my eye on a "new to me" P226 .40 cal. After reading till my head hurt trying to figure out which "model" it is (mk25, legion, tac ops...) Seems like there are a million variations of the 226. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Also what would a fair price range be for this pistol from a private seller?

Looks like a P226 Nitron. And really nice clean one at that.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Looks to be a nitron. Long extractor and having the normal SIG rail and base model frame is what determined it for me. Also that nitron's came with E2 grips from factory. You can usually countercheck from the sticker on the case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks to be a nitron. Long extractor and having the normal SIG rail and base model frame is what determined it for me. Also that nitron's came with E2 grips from factory. You can usually countercheck from the sticker on the case.
Thanks for the response. You are the third one to go with nitron so I think it's safe to say that's what it is. I went ahead a picked it up. Now I just have to find some time to put some rounds through it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the response. You are the third one to go with nitron so I think it's safe to say that's what it is. I went ahead a picked it up. Now I just have to find some time to put some rounds through it.

No worries, looks fresh from the pics. Good pick up is what I'd say!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Wiki is fairly complete and fills a lot of gaps in your data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:SIG_Sauer_semi-automatic_pistols
Yup, it was never meant to be a "be all and end all" thing, also always wondered why that person in that Facebook group didn't bother reading the Wiki articles. It's meant to be just a quick reference that could be found on one page when searched on google.

IIRC, I never really got to read the differentiation of sub-models on the wiki though. Specifically the specific distinctions between elites, base models etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts