·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Why Me?

!st it was my dog pics and now my avatar is gone??

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
The site is having issues again with pictures.
We had a bunch of problems with that not too long ago and it seems to be back again.

Reactions: tower3

·
Administrator
36,819 Posts
!st it was my dog pics and now my avatar is gone??
You will have to upload your avatar again. As far as I know the missing pictures that were uploaded to the site's database that went missing - that problem is still being worked on.

The site is having issues again with pictures.
We had a bunch of problems with that not too long ago and it seems to be back again.
It appears that image hosting site picture links are working OK. Others not so much.

I'll escalate the issue to the tech team.

·
Administrator
36,819 Posts
A quick update received from our admins this morning regarding links to outside sources of images...

If the outside link is an HTTP link only, it will not appear because of the security update that was placed on the site a couple of days ago.

ALL outside links must be from a secure server = HTTPS now or they will not appear.

All the image hosting sites that I know of are HTTPS. If posting form your own server it must have the HTTPS certificate in order for the image to appear in the post.

They are still working on the attached image issue.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny how none of my FIREARMS domains work but others do.

Yeah - think about that a while........

Can I say fuc***'s without getting my pee-pee slapped?

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Steve, I’ll let you and the VS folks duke it out. Consider the messenger shot :D
Not shooting the messenger. Just pointing out that once again, information passed on from management is not accurate.

Wait - incar [rapidly looking up history] - ok, you're cleared....:p

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, here we are, weeks down the road.

Pictures posted from either of my FIREARMS WEBSITES:

NM-CCW
Handgunlaw.us

Are still not displayed, yet the same images from my site at PC Solutions, Inc. display.

So far, not one single admin has had the courtesy to explain that.

ADDED: Forgot to mention that I sent a private message to an admin asking that same question --- CRICKETS.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Are you looking for a technical explanation? Like "line 7482 of the image placement code in the attachment subsection under photos got redirected to line 9582 of the 'hide image' subcode, and we can't figure out how to fix it"? Sorry, I don't have that for you.

I can tell you that this site (or any of the VS sites that have recently migrated to Google Cloud) isn't the same as the ones you cited. That's like saying that you and I are the same because we're both bipedal humanoids. This site isn't even exactly like ANY other vB site I'm responsible for. Each site may be on a different version of vB, not to mention the various site-specific tweaks that may have been done over the years--going back to before even FF owned it. All of those factors add uniqueness to the solution (whenever it's found).

VS is big. Really big. That may have it's downsides, but it also means that they have a very extensive Tech Support team......far larger than FF had. Believe me when I say that if they're having trouble identifying and fixing the problem (which affects quite a few of our sites), it's a real problem, and NOT an easy one to find the fix for. Even if a fix is found for, say, Ducati.org, that doesn't mean that the same fix would work here.

I hope I've been able to convey the magnitude of the effort being made to identify and fix this problem. I don't know how to make it any clearer. This issue is their top priority, and they're doing all they can, with all their manpower, to fix it. I know I can't do it.

Neil

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VS is big. Really big.

I hope I've been able to convey the magnitude of the effort being made to identify and fix this problem. I don't know how to make it any clearer. This issue is their top priority, and they're doing all they can, with all their manpower, to fix it..
I appreciate the reply Neil.

First - regardless the size of the company/corporation - I think it reasonable to expect a private message to the administration from a supporting member deserves a reply in a reasonable timeframe. More than two weeks is not what I personally consider "reasonable" - but maybe that's just me. FYI - one of my sites - Handgunlaw.us - receives close to TWO MILLION hits a month. There are two of us. NO question has ever been received that has gone more than a single day for at least some type of answer. Granted, I don't own a hundred sites or more, but over two weeks with no reply is simply unacceptable to me. Sure looks like a GAS factor issue on the part of the forum ownership.

Where I DO recognize the POSSIBLE level of the issue, my problem comes from the fact that posts with images linked from NM-CCW.COM [firearms training site] disappeared all of a sudden, and were reposted and displayed from HANDGUNLAW.US [firearms legals site] - within a week, the very same images posted here that were on HANDGUNLAW.US also disappeared. Then, when posted the very same images here from my site at NMPCS.COM - the images are displaying correctly - even today.

Now, in my conspiratorial [at this point] mode, I am seeing a host that has been configured to DENY FIREARMS links, yet allow non-firearms related sites to display the exact same image content.

To me, especially on a FIREARMS RELATED forum, that sure seems like the new owners have an agenda they're promoting "quietly".

Again, I greatly appreciate you taking time to try to convey the potential issue Neil. However, though I may be wrong, it sure looks like someone in the administration of the forum since VS took it over, has a problem with firearms sites other than this forum.

Just kinda hard to swallow. I've been a supporting member here since 2013. I'd like to continue to support the forum.

However, if the forum is going to continue to deny links from other firearms related sites - well, I'm going to miss all the great friends I've made here.

This kind of exclusion is totally unacceptable to me and flies in the face all I've worked toward supporting/improving within our First and Second Amendment RIGHTS as U.S. citizens.

This needs to be corrected or I have no choice than to stop adding my support to this forum.

Again, I thank you for your reply and mean you absolutely no disrespect - quite the opposite actually Neil.

Hope you have a great day.

Be Safe.

Aikens

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
501 Posts
I can't really comment on the "deny firearms links" allegation. I'm simply not close enough to the top of the chain to know that. I can say that I seriously doubt that's the case. Rick probably has a better handle on just how many firearms related sites VS owns than I do. This is the only one I'm on, and that's because I have a P228. But I'd think that if they had an 'anti-gun agenda', they'd just shut them all down rather than commit any kind of subterfuge against them. The fact is that VS specifically sought FF's "outdoors" segment, as well as their powersports, automotive, and off-road segments when they went looking for other sites to acquire. It would seem foolish to spend the kind of money they likely spent to acquire these sites, only to work behind the scenes to not only take them down, but sabotage them first!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I avoid conflicts esp. with stuff I don't fully understand. So I remain comfortably naive and accept a problem with the FM.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I can't really comment on the "deny firearms links" allegation. I'm simply not close enough to the top of the chain to know that. I can say that I seriously doubt that's the case. Rick probably has a better handle on just how many firearms related sites VS owns than I do. This is the only one I'm on, and that's because I have a P228. But I'd think that if they had an 'anti-gun agenda', they'd just shut them all down rather than commit any kind of subterfuge against them. The fact is that VS specifically sought FF's "outdoors" segment, as well as their powersports, automotive, and off-road segments when they went looking for other sites to acquire. It would seem foolish to spend the kind of money they likely spent to acquire these sites, only to work behind the scenes to not only take them down, but sabotage them first!
I "kinda" get that. But I simply can't find any other possibility when the same images are ok on a site what isn't firearms related display fine, yet two other sites - both firearms related - do not.

Here are four of my sites, same image.

You see #1 - steveaikens
You see #2 - PC Solutions, Inc.

You DO NOT SEE # 3 - Handgunlaw.us
You DO NOT SEE # 4 - NM-CCW

I'd be happy to show you others - firearms don't display - non-firearms related do.

EDITED: And now, an hour later - all four mysteriously appear. Frankly, I don't care how or why that happened, but if I find my other images previously posted from those site - I'm happy.

Thank you to whomever corrected the issue. They have all re-appeared.

Aikens

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I avoid conflicts esp. with stuff I don't fully understand. So I remain comfortably naive and accept a problem with the FM.
I hear ya. My problem is, I've been working in the computer industry for over 50 years - government & private business - I understand the technology.

I do NOT accept the premise that someone can post the same image from a non-firearms related site, but is not allowed to post that same image from a firearms related site - and that has nothing to do with the fact that one is firearms related and one is not - and it has nothing to do with one being firearms related, and one not.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I can't speak with any certainty, since, frankly, I DON'T understand the technology.....BUT:

I suspect it may have something to do with the linked site not being on HTTPS protocol. From what I learned yesterday, it the host site doesn't use HTTPS, any links from it won't be accepted by an HTTPS site....and this site is HTTPS now.

Also, I'm not sure whether Tech implemented a fix last night, or whether the problem just sorted itself out, but I can now see ALL the pics you posted.

FWIW, the referenced incident is about 12 miles ESE of me :)

Neil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts