SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a new P238 HD. When I got the pistol home, I of course began to look at it closely. It was filthy! Under the safety lever was a huge glob of dark grease/oil. I began to clean it and found the interior fouled with carbon. It took quite a while to clean it and a lot of q-tips and patches. I know Sig most likely test fires new pistols, but don't they clean them after? I'm wondering if my "New" pistol is "slightly used"? What are your thoughts and was your "new" Sig clean?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’m not aware of any manufacturer that cleans their firearms after factory test firing. (I would nominate Remington as the worst ‘dirty gun’ shipper - almost seems they go out of their way to use dirty test ammo). Just my two cents.... YMMV

I would also add - however I doubt this applies to large volume manufacturers, like Sig - but some custom (or semi-custom) manufacturers put fairly high round counts through their pistols (like ~50 rds).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Neither Sig nor any other gun manufacturer cleans the guns after test firing. Guess that's okay to me since it shows it worked at least once.

The amount of other dirt/gunk on the outside varies. Some LGS tend to wipe off the exterior, others not so much.

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Many years ago I knew a guy that ran a pawn shop in a small rural Central Texas town. He usually ran about 100 rds through every new gun he received, then sold them as new. That's one reason I never bought from him.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My policy is to strip it and clean ANY new weapon, before firing. There is a lot of "packing" grease and oil on most of them. It wouldn't hurt to run a pipe cleaner through the firing pin channel too.

Plus you get to see how it comes apart and goes back together.

G.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Actually, I don't think every gun shipped out for sale is really test fired. I'm pretty sure its a random number from any given batch. I think I read that?

·
Registered
14,670 Posts
Welcome from Texas.
Where did You purchase the Gun?
Did it come with everything,Case, Manual,Lock and oil packet?
I have ten Sig pistols,None of them were dirty when I got them.
One A Special Order came with lots of Oil and grease but that's all

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Did it look like this when you opened the case?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,127 Posts
Welcome from PA....SIG usually over-oils their guns when made.....keep em wet, after field stripping, when new......especially the slide rails....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dirty gun

Thanks for all the replies and pictures. Everything was there similar to the pictures you provided however it was actually taken out of the box and put into a display case. The plastic bag was in the box but everything was loose. I did not get a oil/ lubricant package but everything else was there. I’m taking it out shooting tomorrow so we will see how it does. Still like the gun, going to be a good one.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
my LGS has a range, but I only buy guns from the back room storage and from a friend that works there. I used to help there with the previous owner and when a new gun or model hit the market, it was handled, taken apart and fired, not much, but at least a mag thru it, mostly by the shop owner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a new P238 a few months ago. It was also dirty from being fired previously. It is the SAS model so it was ordered for me by the gun shop and I have no reason to believe it was shot other than by the factory. I look at the new gun cleaning ritual as my opportunity to bond with my new firearm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a new P238 Nightmare a few months back. Upon cleaning it before use, it was fairly dirty, but the rest of the gun was dry as a bone, as far as lube, glad I got to lube it first.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Just judging from this thread, it seams that p238s are shipped dirty(er). Having never owned or shot a 238, I can only guess why this could be. When I bought my wife a 938 SAS several years ago, we were told to shoot a wide range of ammo until we were satisfied with reliability. We were told that these little SA Sigs were ammo picky, and we should concentrate on 124gr or heavier until broken in. In our case it wasn’t a problem, as hers was flawless from the start.

That being said, I wonder if Sig fires more rounds through the 238 to identify any issue prior to shipping.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Many years ago I knew a guy that ran a pawn shop in a small rural Central Texas town. He usually ran about 100 rds through every new gun he received, then sold them as new. That's one reason I never bought from him.

Wouldn't that be a good thing? Seems like a fair number of folks have problems in the first 50 rounds or so. I wish Sig would shoot a 100 rounds through every gun as part of quality control.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Actually, I don't think every gun shipped out for sale is really test fired. I'm pretty sure its a random number from any given batch. I think I read that?
IIRC every new Sig, Smith, Ruger, Glock and Walther that I’ve bought new in the last 15-20 years has included a fired test casing. I would have to look through the boxes to be definite about that.

Have you purchased any examples of those brands that did not include the fired casing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts