SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and a buddy shoot a lot (500-1000 rounds a week) and we have been loading 9mm with single stage presses. While we can really crank out rounds quickly for a couple jimokes on single stages (200-250 rounds an hour) we are getting pretty tired of it. Our hands get raw and tired from priming and we shoot enough that a progressive may be worth it. Has anyone used a Dillon 650 or a Square Deal B? The SDB is about half the price of a 650 and that means a lot to 2 broke college kids. I've been reloading for almost 10 years now, so I like to think I know what I'm doing. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I own a Dillon and it is between the two you mentioned. I load quite a bit and have no problems with it. They are rated at about 450 to 500 rounds an hour but that is similar to new car gas mileage ratings meaning you,love probably never get that. Y'all will just have to save a little longer but to me it would be worth it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I own a Dillon and it is between the two you mentioned. I load quite a bit and have no problems with it. They are rated at about 450 to 500 rounds an hour but that is similar to new car gas mileage ratings meaning you,love probably never get that. Y'all will just have to save a little longer but to me it would be worth it.
forgot to mention it's a RL 450B

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I use a SQDB for 45 and 9MM. To equip a 650 for 2 calibers would be higher than 2X. The 650 is a big machine and in the future would allow you to get a case feeder and bullet feeder but for the amount you load the SQDB would be great

Dillon is always a phone call away for free parts and sound advice.

I was offered a 650 in trade (+some cash) a great deal BTW for my SQDB and I passed. I do 223 M4 rounds on a 550 and 223 match, 308 and 8MM on a single stage

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
I wouldn't touch a SDB with a ten foot pole as it uses proprietary dies (nobody makes them but Dillon and they're priced accordingly).

Also be aware that if either of you have a gun with a match chamber, you're probably going to have to buy another manufacturer's sizing/decapping die as Dillon's don't cut it for match chambers in some guns.

Full disclosure:

I wouldn't buy any Dillon but the SL900.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a SDB and it was a nice press. If you're only going load one caliber, go with it. I sold it and bought an XL650 and wish I had done that from the get go. I had all the dies I needed so it was nice to get away from the proprietary dies of the SDB. I load for 6 calibers, so the XL650 made more sense. Plus, loading for 357Sig can't be done on the SDB, and I was loading a lot of it on a Lee Turret press, which got old fast. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To elaborate further, we will be shooting out of my P320C, my (soon to be bought) P320 X5 and his Glock 34. One of us will have to buy the other out after college, so I'm thinking an SDB may be the way to go. We like doing the .223 on single stages for quality control, and there's a lot more steps in the process.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I do use a 550 for 223 M4 loads but do not like it for pistols. The 650 and SQDB are self indexing. When you pull the lever it automatically moves the cases one position. You can not double charge unless you stop the press, remove the pin and reinsert the case in the powder drop and intentional double charge.

The 550 is not self indexing. You move it manually. With powders that use smaller weights, Titegroup, Bullseye, Unique, ZIP etc etc you won't get an overflow so may not notice. Google the results of firing a double charged round and tell me there are no lengths you will go to so this never happens.
With a 223 round if you double charge on a 550 you get 80% of that powder pouring out all over the place so you know it.

I assume I can screw up so insist on not wondering if I did a double charge

The SQDB does use its own dies which is what I like. they have a 100% lifetime guarantee and because of the design are extremely compact. The SQDB takes up a very small amount of space.

The 650 arguments are certainly valid but I hate tearing down and resetting things. I have even considered getting a second SQDB so I never have to switch back and forth from 45/9 and back again.
I even hate flipping the shell plate around on my Forster Bonanza so now leave it for 223/smaller and resize 308 and 8MM on my Rock Chucker

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
I do use a 550 for 223 M4 loads but do not like it for pistols. The 650 and SQDB are self indexing. When you pull the lever it automatically moves the cases one position. You can not double charge unless you stop the press, remove the pin and reinsert the case in the powder drop and intentional double charge.

The 550 is not self indexing. You move it manually. With powders that use smaller weights, Titegroup, Bullseye, Unique, ZIP etc etc you won't get an overflow so may not notice. Google the results of firing a double charged round and tell me there are no lengths you will go to so this never happens.
With a 223 round if you double charge on a 550 you get 80% of that powder pouring out all over the place so you know it.

Yep, I've read of a number of double charges on 550s. It's definitely something to consider.

Personally, I wouldn't have a manual progressive press even though I personally look at the powder charge in each and every round I make, but then I'm kind of OCD when it comes to my reloads.

I'll take an automatic progressive every time.

·
Premium Member
22,522 Posts
Auto part Machine tool Machine Disc brake Fuel line
For an out-of-the ballpark suggestion, ever think about an RCBS Pro5 or Pro7? Auto indexing and pretty fast. Cheaper than a 650. Relatively new but it works fine.
The rcbs's have had a host of problems with these new presses, and caliber conversion is more cost than the Dillon 650.

My first auto indexing press was a SQB in 45acp. Great lil press and worked great. I still have it but do not use it anymore.

I now a the full meal deal 650 and it is truly amazing.
I also recomment using the Dillon dies as they are the best I have ever used.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The rcbs's have had a host of problems with these new presses, and caliber conversion is more cost than the Dillon 650.

My first auto indexing press was a SQB in 45acp. Great lil press and worked great. I still have it but do not use it anymore.

I now a the full meal deal 650 and it is truly amazing.

I also recomment using the Dillon dies as they are the best I have ever used.

As the RCBS is fairly new, there has been one issue I'm aware of and that was the primer feed sled that was corrected last year.

Other than standard dies, the only caliber conversion cost is a shell plate ($35-50 ). How is that more expensive than a 650?

Granted a 650 is great, but at $1000+ startup it's harder to justify

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have two 550's and one 650. I despise that 650 with a passion but I haven't replaced it yet. There always seems to be something with it-case feeder sticks or overflows the brass funnel, primers flipping over, you name it. My 550's are rock solid and I can say that I have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on each of them. For the money-but the 550 and call it a day. Not as fancy, yet simple to operate. As mentioned above-SDB dies are NOT cheap and 650 conversions are 1 1/2 times more expensive than those of the 550

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the benefit of owning four presses. One old RCBS RC singlestage, and a set of Dillons: SDB, RL550B and XL650. Based on my experience I would recommend the XL650 with regards to how many rounds you fire each week. It's a great press to work with, and with the options of adding a case and bullet feeder it can really speed up you reloading. Although it rather expensive.

If neither of you have large hands and money is surely a weak spot and you can spend a little extra time reloading, then the SDB is perfect. Another benefit is that it's smaller than both the 550 and the 650. As long as you're only loading one caliber (and one load) the SDB is perfect.

The RL550B is a superb press. Perfect for rifle and any situation where you want/need to change caliber often. It's also the best press I've used whenever you want pay special attention to all aspects of the reloading, like when you check the weight of each and ever powder charge.

The one that I prefer to use is the XL650, but then I mostly load strait walled calibers such as 9x19 and 38sp.

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
I have two 550's and one 650. I despise that 650 with a passion but I haven't replaced it yet. There always seems to be something with it-case feeder sticks or overflows the brass funnel, primers flipping over, you name it. My 550's are rock solid and I can say that I have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on each of them. For the money-but the 550 and call it a day. Not as fancy, yet simple to operate. As mentioned above-SDB dies are NOT cheap and 650 conversions are 1 1/2 times more expensive than those of the 550
Look up a company called Unique Tek. They started out and made their money selling aftermarket parts to fix Dillon design flaws.

They've expanded a lot since then, but they still have around 2 pages of aftermarket stuff they sell to correct Dillon Problems. Then check to see how many products they sell to fix design flaws in other presses, like RCBS, Hornady, Lee or whoever. Virtually none.

I've been offered 650s for $450.00 or $500.00 a few times and I won't touch one even for that price.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Look up a company called Unique Tek. They started out and made their money selling aftermarket parts to fix Dillon design flaws.

They've expanded a lot since then, but they still have around 2 pages of aftermarket stuff they sell to correct Dillon Problems. Then check to see how many products they sell to fix design flaws in other presses, like RCBS, Hornady, Lee or whoever. Virtually none.

I've been offered 650s for $450.00 or $500.00 a few times and I won't touch one even for that price.
I'd pretty much decided I was going with a Dillon 650 or 1050 but I respect your opinion Larry. What other Progessive loading Brand & Models would you lean towards (pistol caliber only)? You're bursting my bubble with the Dillon Precision negative feedback! Care to share your story that sealed the deal on Dillon Precision products for you?

Thanks for the insight.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.