Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to the Gun Show in Houston Today Did OK But

Found a Build Date Oct 2016 P250 Compact in 9MM for $399.00
Completed the paper work and such but when I Came Time to Pay
They told Me That They only take CCs @ 4% or Cash. I said No Go

Now for the OK Part I then found a Jan 12 2017 Build Date P220 SS
Elite 10 MM SAO (220R5-10-SSF-SAO) With Wood Grips for $1149.00
plus tax, It Came Home With Me. Now to find some FMJ Ammo for It.
Plenty of SD Ammo around for $1.00+ per round.

Also found a P238 HD all SS with wood grips for $669.00 but I passed on ir
Seems the P238s were going for more than the P938s in a lot of models

Registered
They told Me That They only take CCs @ 4% or Cash.
Were you trying to pay with a check?

Oh, and I really miss the Houston gun shows. I used to go to just about every show at the Astrohall, George R. Brown, and the ones in Spring and Pasadena.

The one show they have here in Denver every couple of months is so lame I pretty much don't even bother going.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were you trying to pay with a check?

Oh, and I really miss the Houston gun shows. I used to go to just about every show at the Astrohall, George R. Brown, and the ones in Spring and Pasadena.

The one show they have here in Denver every couple of months is so lame I pretty much don't even bother going.
Yes, I was. Afterwards I saw a least three others that had signs"no Checks", They all said that They had been stung with several checks in the past Six months. These people are a Husband and Wife that have a small shop up close to Conroe. I started going to the Astro Hall shows back in 1970 when they were run by the Houston Gun Collectors Association

Premium Member
Years ago, my wife and I use to work gun shows. Generally with me looking for the guns I wanted, her selling custom leather clothing, me buying guns.

Pretty simple.

CASH MAKES FRIENDS!

Premium Member
It sounds like it was a good show for you. I enjoy gun shows. It's pretty much a cash and go deal for the gun shows here. I'm sure they have been stung too many times to count. Most of the larger tables will take credit cards... I don't know if they upcharge 4% as well. I always go the cash route. \

I don't mind using cash. I know the sellers prefer that transaction and I never spend more than I had planned. :)

Registered
Hey I went to the same show looking to put my hands on an Ultra in 9mm to 'feel' the fit.
In the whole place I found one Ultra ... in 45.

Anybody know if the 45 and nine use the exact same grip frame?
I got plenty offers to order the nine but I need to hold one first.

Locke

Registered
I understand the reason to not take checks. BUT, 4% for a check is just a joke. It's not a credit card where there are costs for the owner. There is no cost for a business owner to cash a check.

I had windows worked on at my home awhile back and when I asked about paying him I asked about credit cards. He told me right upfront he would split the cost the credit card company charges him with a credit card. I wrote him a check and there was no cost. That's just bad business in my book.

Registered
I understand the reason to not take checks. BUT, 4% for a check is just a joke. It's not a credit card where there are costs for the owner. There is no cost for a business owner to cash a check.
Some CC and check processing outfits take a cut for either type of presented payment. Those outfits "guarantee" the funds will be deposited; if a check is returned they'll still make the deposit to your account and take it upon themselves to get payment from the check writer. While its not a pleasant experience for those who present anything other than cash its a cost a lot of sellers just don't want to absorb.

I had windows worked on at my home awhile back and when I asked about paying him I asked about credit cards. He told me right upfront he would split the cost the credit card company charges him with a credit card. I wrote him a check and there was no cost. That's just bad business in my book.
This situation was very, very different than "shows" because this guy knows where you live, probably had you sign a pre-work agreement which also included an agreement to pay, most usually as part of a promissory note. He then has legal recourse to get paid----not so much for sellers at this weekend "shows".

Any form of payment that's not cash has potential for reversals or insufficient funds. Some people in business people do what's necessary to collect their money, one method by eliminating or reducing their exposure to bad checks etc.

I'm pretty much the opposite on CC's though---simply will NOT accept them now or ever. I've been in business almost 30 years, many of my regular customers with me that whole time. Trust isn't an issue with printed checks whereas CC's would cost ME, the always present possibility of hackers or security breach isn't worth the minuscule "convenience" of accepting CC's.

Registered
If you'd have found it for $415, would you have bought it?

Nevermind, read the rest of the thread. Yeah, NORMALLY the gun dealers say something like "price reflects a X% discount for cash."

Which, interestingly, is often against their TOS with the CC company.

Reactions: winterwar

Registered
I agree on the idea of 'principal' - my personal gripe is the inflated shipping cost & FFL receiving fees shops charge when buying/selling.
I agree, I just purchased my first gun, and was annoyed by all the fees, some higher than originally stated. I paid a shipping fee (around $20 I think), a payment processing fee which wasn't disclosed until the final screen (4% of purchase)(and online who is going to send a certified check to someone states away instead of just using your card), and then when I went to start the paperwork at the FFL dealer, they charged me a $50 transfer fee, which was higher than what search sites were saying online for them. But they have you over a barrel, either pay or tell them to send the gun back and pay restocking fee. So all in all, so far for just one gun I've paid close to an extra $100 of bs fees.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.