SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife purchased me a new pistol for my birthday. I open the box and start checking it out and realize the gun is used; extremely dirty and shows signs of wear. The next morning we take it back to the store and one of the managers tells us "she signed the sales receipt and there is nothing they will do. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
The BBB isn't a governmental agency and has no power- you're better off naming the gun shop on gun forums and social media to draw attention to your situation...

I'd also consider filing a case in small claims court. Paying an attorney to send a threatening letter will also help. Contacting your state AG's office might be fruitful.

Whatever you do don't stop being the squeaky wheel about it!

·
Banned
89 Posts
T
I'd also consider filing a case in small claims court. Paying an attorney to send a threatening letter will also help. Contacting your state AG's office might be fruitful.

Whatever you do don't stop being the squeaky wheel about it!
The best route. If they sold used as being "new" then there is no firm footing for the shop. Contest the charges if filed on credit card. If credit card, you can then contact the fraud department of that CC. They have much more power than an individual.

You can and should make a lot of noise of this. You need to publish names, images of the item and receipt, and post on any social media you can. take pictures of the store front,and publish those as well.

·
Registered
21,596 Posts
Reactions: Harry_Gorilla

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
As long as it's a "bona fide" gift ;)
Edited for accuracy: Yes, as long as the buyer/transferee (in this case the OP's wife) doesn't accept anything of value for the "gifted" firearm to the gift recipient (in this case her husband), AND the buyer/transferee doesn't have reason to believe the intended recipient is barred from firearms purchase- it's perfectly legal.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
...Straw purchases are illegal if the receiver of the firearm cannot legally possess said firearm. Otherwise there is no foul...
Edited for accuracy: There's at least one additional way to violate the straw buyer aspect, which is what happened to a former LEO who reportedly made every effort to follow the law, but erred by accepting payment from a relative for the transferred new pistol... If I remember correctly, if the LEO hadn't accepted anything of value for the pistol, it would've just been a gift and legal, but because he accepted payment from his uncle the obama DOJ charged the officer with a straw purchase and he was convicted.

In a 5-4 ruling SCOTUS declared it didn't matter that both he and his uncle weren't prohibited by law from gun purchases- the court ruled it a straw purchase, reportedly because the officer's acceptance of payment from his uncle proved the cop bought the gun for "someone else" and for lying on the 4473 form about that specific detail.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/what-the-supreme-court-still-doesnt-understand-about-guns

Reactions: alamo308

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
My wife and I have a deal. She won't buy me used guns and I won't buy her used underwear.
I had to do my share of unofficial marriage counseling as a cop, and this situation sounds to me like a dire standoff, as well as a great opportunity for an uninvited interloper. Tell her I'd be most pleased to buy her new underwear if she'll buy me used guns. :p

No need to thank me, you're welcome.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts