SIG Talk banner

Dawson Fiber Optics for all around gun

1606 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  KenW
I am simplifying things and thinning the gun collection. I love my 320 Compact 9mm and that will be my main pistol for carry(along with 938), HD, and range.
I do not mind putting some money into it if it improves on the all around versatility and performance of the pistol. I am thinking of Dawson Precision fiber optics. My questions are:

Are they that much more accurate over the stock night sites?

Would i be giving up much functionality over the stock sights(aside from glowing of course)?

In other words would I have a more accurate range pistol that still works well for home defense and carry?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
I have DP sights on several glocks and I mostly like them. The nice thing about DP is that they make a very wide selection of sight widths and heights so, in theory, you should be able to get exactly what you want.

I think I'm going to start trying some of the newer style night sights, like Trijicon HD, hoping that they may work well for me.

· Registered
216 Posts
I put Dawson fiber front sight on a Shield I used to own. It was great outside in plenty of light, but at indoor range or the house-not so good. I put a set of Meprolight night sights on the Shield and they were much better. I've heard that the SIG nightsights are or were made by Meprolight. If I replace the front sight on my P320, it will most likely be the SIG nightsight. Front sight is only $44 from SIG and slightly less at Midway. Just my opinion.

· Registered
3,481 Posts
We all have our own preference's . For me a standard night sight works well for what they are designed for . Fiber optic only offers nothing for night time use and the larger color ringer type NS to me are distracting . I still like plain ole black sights for target shooting and green fiber optic over red but only have one of those on an old match pistol I won't add any fiber optic sights only to defensive handguns .

Now you get to decide what you like and buy .

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
I run Dawson's on a couple of my competition guns.

For competition I like it. On my PP guns, factory sights.

Reactions: MMinSC

· Registered
489 Posts
I am thinking of Dawson Precision fiber optics. My questions are:

Are they that much more accurate over the stock night sites?
no. How would they be? but you probably are wondering will they make you a better shooter (faster on target and assuming just as accurate as the sig 3-dot night sights).

Would i be giving up much functionality over the stock sights(aside from glowing of course)?

In other words would I have a more accurate range pistol that still works well for home defense and carry?
For home defense/carry the sig night sights are among the best available. If you have eye trouble and can't see the front sight then explore other options.

Fiber optics don't work for me as they are horrid indoors (need available light to be visible). Some people find them to work great, typically OUTDOOR shooters (sunny day range use and competition).

· Registered
36 Posts
I have both DP sights on my Glock 34 which is great for fast target acquisition. I also have Trijicon HDs on several of my carry pistol because they are build on basic principles of the fiberoptic front and black out rear with night sight capability. My complaint with the HD is IMO the front sight is too fat. So what i did is i replace one gun's front sight with DP fiberoptic and kept the hd rearsight on. On this gun i always have a weapon light mounted so I can see see my target at night.

Trijicon did come out with a new set of HDs that have a thinner front sight so it might be a good sight to look into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.