SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a SIG Sauer P229 DAK and was considering getting another model, perhaps the P226 or the P220. However I no longer see the DAK variants on the SIG Sauer site. Does this mean that they are discontinued? I still see them listed on Quantico Tactical, but want to know why they are no longer on the SIG Sauer site. A Google search did not turn anything reliable up.

·
Registered
22,188 Posts
All of the DAKs were discontinued a while ago except in support of law enforcement contracts.

And yes, a LOT of desirable models have been discontinued. A TON of them! :(

Reactions: winterwar

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of the DAKs were discontinued a while ago except in support of law enforcement contracts.

And yes, a LOT of desirable models have been discontinued. A TON of them! :(
I guess I will have to purchase used, which isn't always a bad thing. I have a CPO P229 DAK in 40 S&W which I like, but I was wanting something else.

I've noticed the P224 is gone, which I liked because it will take P229 mags, or so I was told. What was their reason for discontinuing the DAK and other desirable models?

·
Registered
22,188 Posts
I have not heard or read a reason for discontinuing the DAKs, but I would suspect that they just want to transition to the P320 striker-fired platform for LEOs as well as the Army.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I have not heard or read a reason for discontinuing the DAKs, but I would suspect that they just want to transition to the P320 striker-fired platform for LEOs as well as the Army.
Agreed. I don't know SIG's official reason, but I suspect it's because they don't want to dedicate increasingly-precious production resources to a platform that never really caught traction outside of some agency contracts, especially as the civilian, LEA, and military demand for the 320 is exploding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed. I don't know SIG's official reason, but I suspect it's because they don't want to dedicate increasingly-precious production resources to a platform that never really caught traction outside of some agency contracts, especially as the civilian, LEA, and military demand for the 320 is exploding.
I like my DAK, but it seems they are sort of a rare breed. I am interested in the P320 too, so perhaps I will check one out.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I like my DAK, but it seems they are sort of a rare breed. I am interested in the P320 too, so perhaps I will check one out.
I have a 229R DAK in .357 (with a .40 upper too) that I really like. I've got a TLR-1 on it and it's my HD gun, because I like the idea of a longer (but buttery smooth!) pull for HD.

But my 320C has replaced all my other handguns in my carry rotation. It's a superb SD pistol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 229R DAK in .357 (with a .40 upper too) that I really like. I've got a TLR-1 on it and it's my HD gun, because I like the idea of a longer (but buttery smooth!) pull for HD.

But my 320C has replaced all my other handguns in my carry rotation. It's a superb SD pistol.
I like the trigger on the DAK. The trigger on my DA/SA bothered me because of the light SA trigger pull. I too use my P229 DAK for HD and have a TLR-1 on ot.

I want a P320 but don't know if I should get the compact or carry model. It looks like both have the same barrel length, but the grip length is the difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a P226 in DAK the moment it came out because it was a dream come true. However, IMHO, I think the reason it never caught traction was because the first ones were unreliable due to light primer strikes. I know that's the reason why I quickly got rid of mine.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I like the trigger on the DAK. The trigger on my DA/SA bothered me because of the light SA trigger pull. I too use my P229 DAK for HD and have a TLR-1 on ot.

I want a P320 but don't know if I should get the compact or carry model. It looks like both have the same barrel length, but the grip length is the difference.
They both have a Compact upper, but the Carry model has a 17 round grip (vs 15 for the Compact).

But that's the beauty of the modular design. I bought a Carry and then picked up a Compact grip frame for it. Now I can use either.

In fact, I also picked up a Subcompact grip frame for it, so I can use any of the three. Modular = flexibility. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a P226 in DAK the moment it came out because it was a dream come true. However, IMHO, I think the reason it never caught traction was because the first ones were unreliable due to light primer strikes. I know that's the reason why I quickly got rid of mine.
I got the DAK because of the trigger pull versus the DA/SA, and I haven't had any problems with it. I have a cousin who hates anything that isn't DA/SA, and even he liked the DAK.

Are there any other manufactures that make a trigger similar to the DAK that isn't striker fired? The only one I could find was the H&K LEM trigger.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They both have a Compact upper, but the Carry model has a 17 round grip (vs 15 for the Compact).

But that's the beauty of the modular design. I bought a Carry and then picked up a Compact grip frame for it. Now I can use either.

In fact, I also picked up a Subcompact grip frame for it, so I can use any of the three. Modular = flexibility. ;)
That's what I thought, the grip was the only difference. I like the modular design, but I want to know how it'll hold up in the long term. It's pretty cool that you can have multiple guns that's really only one gun.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I got the DAK because of the trigger pull versus the DA/SA, and I haven't had any problems with it. I have a cousin who hates anything that isn't DA/SA, and even he liked the DAK.

Are there any other manufactures that make a trigger similar to the DAK that isn't striker fired? The only one I could find was the H&K LEM trigger.
Besides the H&K LEM, I can only think of a DAO semiauto, or a revolver. But the pull won't be quite like the DAK, and there will be no intermediate reset.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The HK LEM is the only thing that comes to mind for me too for that class of gun.

I think my Ruger LCP (original model) uses some type of pre-loaded DA hammer fired system as well but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Besides the H&K LEM, I can only think of a DAO semiauto, or a revolver. But the pull won't be quite like the DAK, and there will be no intermediate reset.
I'll have to take a look at LEM and DAO options then, thanks! Is a DAO revolver the one you carry on an empty cylinder?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The HK LEM is the only thing that comes to mind for me too for that class of gun.

I think my Ruger LCP (original model) uses some type of pre-loaded DA hammer fired system as well but I'm not 100% sure.
I haven't had an HK yet, but I was looking at their VP9 and an LEM version of another model, I forget which, so I might have to check HK out.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
I'll have to take a look at LEM and DAO options then, thanks! Is a DAO revolver the one you carry on an empty cylinder?

No. That would be guns like the Colt Single Action Army and early Rugers. If the gun was dropped on the hammer, that could cause is to discharge. More modern revolvers use some sort of transfer bar to prevent that from happening, so they are carried with hammer down on a loaded chamber.

Many modern semi-autos also have an integral safety to prevent drop or inertia discharge. In the case of SIG's, there is a firing pin block safety that frees the firing pin so it can impact the cartridge primer, only when the trigger is depressed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No. That would be guns like the Colt Single Action Army and early Rugers. If the gun was dropped on the hammer, that could cause is to discharge. More modern revolvers use some sort of transfer bar to prevent that from happening, so they are carried with hammer down on a loaded chamber.

Many modern semi-autos also have an integral safety to prevent drop or inertia discharge. In the case of SIG's, there is a firing pin block safety that frees the firing pin so it can impact the cartridge primer, only when the trigger is depressed.
Thanks for the explanation!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts