SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the board. One thing I have noticed on this and other boards is a lot of people complaining they don't like the sig first shot being DA and consecutive shots SA. Please correct me if I am looking at this wrong but in almost any conceivable range situation, all your shots should be SA unless you intentionally decock. The only other situation I can think of that the first shot would be DA would be if your pistol were chambered and holstered and God forbid, you had to use it. I am a new owner of an SP2022 9mm.

·
Registered
953 Posts
That's the reason.. If you carry then you train for carry situations. DA first shot. The first shot being the most important. That's why 1911 style (cocked and locked) or the 250 (DAO) are popular.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
591 Posts
The only other situation I can think of that the first shot would be DA would be if your pistol were chambered and holstered and God forbid, you had to use it.
This is the most effective way to carry to quickly stop a threat. Therefore, most of those that carry would have a DA pull for the first shot.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Welcome to Sigtalk. I have an SP2022 in 9mm too.

Some practice drawing from a holster in case they need to do so. You may also have it in a small safe or nightstand and need to draw it in an emergency.

I would suggest you too practice some DA shots.

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
55,672 Posts
i don't like the long sig da pull in a hd/sd situation & carry a g3 g30.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are all good points. I am fairly new to the handgun world. I have several years of firearms experience in the military but that was mainly rifles and machine guns. So far, when I have taken my sig to the range,I have reverted back to my Army experience ie. lock and load then shoot. I should probably learn to adapt more to practicing more realistic shooting. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
55,672 Posts
you'll figure it out, the military gives some pretty good fundamentals.

welcome from az

·
Registered
704 Posts
you'll figure it out, the military gives some pretty good fundamentals.

welcome from az
The branches other than the navy, that is. Standing on the fantail of a guided missile cruiser and shooting a few magazines into the ocean just doesn't really instill a great deal of confidence into the shooter about the level of training that they are receiving. That's how we did our shotgun and pistol quals while underway as part of the SAT/BAF(Security Alert Team/Backup Alert Force).

Oh and welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am new to the board. One thing I have noticed on this and other boards is a lot of people complaining they don't like the sig first shot being DA and consecutive shots SA. Please correct me if I am looking at this wrong but in almost any conceivable range situation, all your shots should be SA unless you intentionally decock. The only other situation I can think of that the first shot would be DA would be if your pistol were chambered and holstered and God forbid, you had to use it. I am a new owner of an SP2022 9mm.
You don't have to shoot them DA, as long as you finger is not on the trigger you can safely lock the hammer back. On SA the Sigs have the best trigger out of the box on the market.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Welcome. I have long maintained the first shot should be no different that the last. S/A to me is prefered with a gun carried cocked and locked. If, for some reason you prefer D/A, let every shot be D/A. consistencey of experience and expectation.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you can't master the DA pull and the transition to SA you have the wrong weapon.As Ernest Langdon once said Fear Not The Double Action.

·
Registered
55,672 Posts
The branches other than the navy, that is. Standing on the fantail of a guided missile cruiser and shooting a few magazines into the ocean just doesn't really instill a great deal of confidence into the shooter about the level of training that they are receiving. That's how we did our shotgun and pistol quals while underway as part of the SAT/BAF(Security Alert Team/Backup Alert Force).

like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
36,215 Posts

Sounds like it would give lots of confidence. You can hit the target every time. :D

·
Premium Member
36,215 Posts
Sometimes guys just like to complain about something and DA/SA is one of the targets.
Once you get used to a gun, it becomes habit and hardly noticeable.
I have SAO, DA/SA, and DA and like shooting them all. I never shot a DAK and probably will sometime.

Welcome from Kansas.
This is a good place to pick up knowledge.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I initially hated the DA/SA but now that is all I carry. The long heavy first trigger pull is to prevent accidental discharge (not always accident on your part, picture somebody also wrestling with you at the same time). Once the first round goes off you are already in a bad situation and have already committed to defending yourself so the rest of the shots are single action so they are going to be quicker and easier.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I shoot and carry, when I carry, a DA/SA. I prefer this as it is probably the safest mode of carry. The heavy first pull is exactly what I want. It's not just holstering the weapon, or handling the weapon that is potentially dangerous, it's sympathetic muscle contractions. A 4 - 5 pound trigger is just not enough to over come this potential problem. This is a big problem when you are frightened or pumping with adrenalin. Things change when you are under pressure.

If you learn how to shoot DA, you will love it. It is very fast, and you will not notice the difference between the first pull and the last. Below are three really good ways to practice DA.
  1. Dry fire. Dry fire for about five to ten minutes a day. Once you start the pull, do not stop. Never stage. That is one of the problems that most beginning DA shooters have. Start pulling on the press out, and continue until it goes pop.
  2. At the range, shoot at least 50 rounds on DA only. Shoot, decock, shoot, decock, etc.
  3. Practice doubles with the first shot in DA mode. This will get you use to the feel. There is really no transition. You will simply be shooting without noticing a difference in the pull. I know that is hard to believe, but it's true.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you choose a SIG as your carry of defensive weapon (an excellent choice, IMO), you should train your with the DA/SA, as its intended. I familiared myself with the DA/SA transition by decocking, firing off 2 shots, and repeat. Once I got over the initial learning curve, it's not a problem anymore.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I might add that when I'm at a range, and shooting for distance, I will shoot primarily SA. Yet, when you are shooting fast and distance is 21 feet or less, you will never notice the difference. Jerry Miculek based a shooting career off of shooting DA. He is very much a role model for the DA shooter, revolver or auto.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts