SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about the compatibility issue.

And I remember MoRivera's thread where his had a problem very similar to 1911s in 10mm that didn't have a properly-modified slide stop; which was a slide stop that the bullets in the mag would push up on the stop and cause premature slide locks.

What I don't know is if MoRivera's problem is a common problem?

Have others had complete reliability with wide-mouth JHPs like Federal HST, Gold Dots, et cetera?

Not long after the P320s in the other calibers started to ship, and especially after my wife got her Compact 9mm, I started thinking I would like a Carry in .45 ACP.

I would kind of like to have one with the compatibility issue corrected. But, given the ridiculous prices that SIG is charging for the conversion kits, I doubt I will ever "get into that". If I get a P320 in .45 ACP, I doubt that I will ever have the desire to get any caliber exchange kits. I still prefer carrying my Classic P-series pistols but I like the idea of a light-weight, higher-capacity .45 ACP.

So I am curious as to what the current consensus is on the P320 chambered specifically in .45 ACP?

Good to go?
Wait for a Gen 2? (Is a Gen 2 coming soon?)
Not been on the market long enough to tell?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Gone, I like mine. Granted, I have not run a ton of rounds through it yet, but so far so good.

I do wish that the outside dimensions were identical. Sadly, my 45 will not fit into one of my all Kydex holsters I use for my other P320. That was odd. However, it does fit ok in the partial Kydex (the leather has enough expansion to allow for the differences.

I need to get it out again and run it hard so I can give you better feedback. I think I have only run ball ammo through it so far.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My SIG P320 .45 is a full-size model. I have had no problems with premature slide locks or failures of slide to lock on an empty magazine. I have 5 magazines and have used them all.

I usually shoot 230 grain FMJ ball ammo through it, but have tested it with 230 grain Federal HST without observing any problems.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..I do wish that the outside dimensions were identical. Sadly, my 45 will not fit into one of my all Kydex holsters I use for my other P320....
What do you mean by this? Slide's external dimension differences?

·
Registered
150 Posts
What do you mean by this? Slide's external dimension differences?
Other than the muzzle bore, there is no dimensional difference between the .45 slide and the smaller calibers. The grip is "Fatter" on the .45 to accommodate the wider .45 mags. This creates problems with some holsters.

I agree about the high prices on the xchange kits. I chose to buy another complete gun rather than go that route. Another way to get around the compatibility issue is to put a gen 2 slide stop on the gen 1 .45 FCU. It's an easy conversion which allows you to use the .45 FCU in smaller caliber gen 2 slide / grip combos.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My .45 slide is .030" wider and .020" taller than my 9mm slide. Not much difference. Haven't had any premature slide locks on the .45, but it has the Gen2 grip module if that matters.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet you like the P220 Carry better?

Reactions: winterwar

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
I actually think my issues were more to do with me and my thumb than the slide lock. I guess I just wasn't a good fit for the gun, even though I get long perfectly with the 9mm version. So that same P320C .45 may be very well be 100% with another shooter.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
My .45 slide is .030" wider and .020" taller than my 9mm slide. Not much difference. Haven't had any premature slide locks on the .45, but it has the Gen2 grip module if that matters.
^^This. definitely a bit larger, enough not to fit in one holster. Thus, the lesson here is buy P320 holsters for the .45 version and they are perfectly fine for the other P320's.

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I guess I'll be waiting a while to buy a P320 .45.

I just spontaneously bought a P220 SAS Gen 2 Carry. :rolleyes:

I really need therapy. :D

·
Registered
P320 Carry 45, 9MM, 357 Sig, Colt 1911, QHMC M1 Carbine, Astra 1915 32, Mossberg MVP Patrol 5.56MM
438 Posts
I love my full size. Kinda wish I had bought a carry or compact size, though. I was concerned about recoil, but turns out it is a very soft shooter. If they ever come out with conversion kits I might get one, but for now I'm quite happy with the full size and have about 1,000 rounds through it.

As I've noted on another thread, Sig customer service told me they are working on a solution to make the 45 FCU compatible with the other calibers, but they don't even have a prototype yet. So, who knows when it will be available - I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Compact 45 is a hair larger in all dimensions than my Glock 19 and sacrifices 6 rounds but it's 9+1 of 45. Super soft shooter and very manageable.

I also want a PPQ 45 as it's not worth it to buy a Full size 45 P320 to gain one round but I've heard that the Talon Grips are a must on the PPQ 45 vs the P320 which has a phenomenal grip texture.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Have others had complete reliability with wide-mouth JHPs like Federal HST, Gold Dots, et cetera?

Not long after the P320s in the other calibers started to ship, and especially after my wife got her Compact 9mm, I started thinking I would like a Carry in .45 ACP.

I would kind of like to have one with the compatibility issue corrected. But, given the ridiculous prices that SIG is charging for the conversion kits, I doubt I will ever "get into that". If I get a P320 in .45 ACP, I doubt that I will ever have the desire to get any caliber exchange kits. I still prefer carrying my Classic P-series pistols but I like the idea of a light-weight, higher-capacity .45 ACP.

So I am curious as to what the current consensus is on the P320 chambered specifically in .45 ACP?

Good to go?
Well, yes, it's good to go. I have a P320 in 9mm and a bought a .45 Compact. I also bought a FULL size grip module and cut it down to same length of slide, making it a carry, capable of 10 rounds magazine.

It is not a bear to shoot for recoil. But it is not a real lightweight, even with the 9 round and compact for carrying daily. I recently bought a S&W Shield in .45 and it is TONS lighter for carry than the Sig P320C. But is not high capacity either... 6+1 or 7+1 with extended magazine.

I've shot my P320 a lot... LOT!! and is highly accurate, like my other Sig Sauer pistols. No slide lock issues. HOWEVER, I have a gen 2 slide lock in my drawer and took the original and got rid of the tab on the left side, and smoothed it out a bit. I can quite easily push up and lock the slide, and the slide lock absolutely works on an empty magazine. I did this not to prevent a premature lock but to allow it to slide into my holster easier. Like was said, buy a holster for the .45 and the rest will follow.

It is a beat of it's own and just enough different with the FCU that hard to move back and forth between it and the 9mm, but can be done... I've done it.

And the right side showing the slide lock tab. YES it is easy to push up to lock the slide back.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I know about the compatibility issue.

And I remember MoRivera's thread where his had a problem very similar to 1911s in 10mm that didn't have a properly-modified slide stop; which was a slide stop that the bullets in the mag would push up on the stop and cause premature slide locks.

What I don't know is if MoRivera's problem is a common problem?

Good to go?
Wait for a Gen 2? (Is a Gen 2 coming soon?)
Not been on the market long enough to tell?
Back when i had my Compact 45. I followed MoRivera's thread closely. Tried to replicate his issues. Tried all sorts of ammo , and even let friends shoot it. Never had one failure. It was good to go. Ate everything. About 650 rounds

But my first 320 was the Full size 45. Night sights. 1.5 gen. So my issue was reverse as stated above. I have the full size that holds 10+1. Why have a smaller gun with a 9+1. So i let the compact go. I prefer my 2 compact 320's in 9mm an 40.

But both. Full size and compact 320 in 45. No issuses yet. Flawless. I have a glock 21C that has been having issues lately. FTF, failure into battery. That was my nightstand gun being im insanely accurate with it. But now my Full Size 320 45 has moved to that role. As in its almost as accurate. And never had a flaw

The 45 are good to go.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.