SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Curious trigger bar behavior

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  lpesenson 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I noticed something weird today at the range with my 2013 Sig p229 trigger. When the slide is locked back pulling the trigger clicks slightly on its way to the back of the trigger guard/front strap. At home, I took off the right side grip panel and noticed that when the slide is locked back and pulling the trigger, the trigger bar tab that pushes on the SRT trigger sear tab, normally to cause the trigger to break, still nicks the bottom corner of the sear tab and then slips past it. I took off the panel on another Sig and there the trigger bar misses the sear tab when the slide is locked back. So I figure that maybe the upper tab of the trigger bar that rides on the slide is too worn down so it does not push the bar low enough? If I push it down with my finger the trigger moves under the sear tab, as I believe it should. If my diagnosis is correct, is the trigger bar that vulnerable to wear? I have a few thousand rounds through the pistol and that tab is rather well polished...
by the way the gun shoots fine, so no real functional problem, I am wondering if there may be some issue lurking in the future...
Appreciate any ideas you might have

#4 ·
The Disconnect tab on top of the trigger bar pushes the trigger bar down by riding on the bottom of the slide, correct?
Instead of the top of the disconnect tab wearing, would not the slide rails in the aluminum frame wear more and allow the slide to be pushed higher by the disconnect tab? You may soon need a new frame, not a new trigger bar.

What I would try is not pulling the trigger with the slide locked back. Wait until the slide is forward and in battery. Point it at the target please when pulling the trigger.

Them are my sorry ideas . . . . . :)

#5 ·
Hmmm, an interesting theory, but the rails are in very good condition and very tight to the slide; I use a lot of grease on the rails. While I shoot a lot, I bought that gun new and only had it for about a year. The disconnect tab is substantially worn, visually. The trigger bar is a hardened part, no? If not well hardened, maybe it does wear. I have definitely had other out of spec issues with this gun: the sear spring pin came out within the first 500 rounds and had to be replaced, maybe the trigger bar is off as well...

I don't normally pull the trigger when the slide is locked open ;)
I lightly pressed it by accident and felt the click, then noticed that it was easily repeatable.

#6 ·
"interesting theory", where did you get the idea to pull the trigger with the slide locked back??

that's not part of any function check i'm aware of.

you should check your comment in your op:
"When the slide is locked back pulling the trigger clicks slightly on its way to the back of the trigger guard/front strap."

#8 ·
I was not trying to on purpose, just happened to notice it. Normally, on all my other pistols, and I have 5 other SIGs with 4 of the same design, when the slide is locked back, the trigger moves quite freely because it cannot engage the sear, or really anything else (I don't normally do this, but was curious after noticing this). My initial comment may not be the best description, but it's all I could come up with. If there is a list of function checks that would show this irrelevant, I would love to know for the future.

#7 · (Edited)
Another Theory

Your pistol has been like that from the beginning and you are just now noticing the oddity.

Perhaps a slightly higher sear tab on the trigger bar or a slightly lower tab on the sear or a stack-up of these and other tolerances come together to create the oddity.

There will be wear on the top of the trigger bar disconnector, it is normal to the design. The fact that it shows evidence of wear doesn't mean that it worn down; to determine that would take some fairly accurate measurements and knowledge of the design specs and tolerances. In any event, I wouldn't be too concerned with what the pistol does when it's operated in an abnormal way provided that it functions properly when operated in a normal way.

The missing sear spring pin is a well know failure with a known cause. I would not infer that because that failure occurred on your pistol that other (unrelated) failures are to be expected.

EDIT: FWIW, I just checked and my P239 does the same thing as you describe with your P229 but my M11A1 does not. Both these pistols function reliably. For all I know, the P239 has been like that from day one and I just never noticed it.

#9 ·
Your pistol has been like that from the beginning and you are just now noticing the oddity.

Perhaps a slightly higher sear tab on the trigger bar or a slightly lower tab on the sear or a stack-up of these and other tolerances come together to create the oddity.

There will be wear on the top of the trigger bar disconnector, it is normal to the design. The fact that it shows evidence of wear doesn't mean that it worn down; to determine that would take some fairly accurate measurements and knowledge of the design specs and tolerances. In any event, I wouldn't be too concerned with what the pistol does when it's operated in an abnormal way provided that it functions properly when operated in a normal way.

The missing sear spring pin is a well know failure with a known cause. I would not infer that because that failure occurred on your pistol that other (unrelated) failures are to be expected.

EDIT: FWIW, I just checked and my P239 does the same thing as you describe with your P229 but my M11A1 does not. Both these pistols function reliably. For all I know, the P239 has been like that from day one and I just never noticed it.
Thanks, that's good to hear. I am pretty sure it never did that before, but it's good to know it's not unique. I realize that this part does wear, I can see it on all the others. Though because I have shot this one a lot, it is rather more worn, but perhaps this is not abnormal as it happens when there is no way for the hammer to do anything. It does indeed operate normally otherwise.

As for it being 2013 build, the sear pin fell out twice (two different pins). The current one I put in with a bit of 290 loctite, and it has held since for over 4,000 rounds (I shoot it at the range, but would not trust my life to it). I also added a GGI trigger to it, to be same in feel as my Legion, but I found out, thanks to all of members help here, that the overtravel adjustment caused the safety block to not come down far enough with the SRT in place (GGI confirmed that it is rare, but known to happen), this caused light strikes. Removing the overtravel adjustment completely solved that problem. So while this gun may be "in spec", it seems to always be on some edge of spec. Hence, this is why I was a bit suspicious when I noticed this clicking. The trigger bar just barely catches the sear tab, only enough to click. Anyway, I am happy enough that this is not unique and not an issue.

Thanks for everyone's input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.