SIG Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something new to me, and if not for a little adaptor from Magpul, I probably wouldn't bother with. I already had a Manfrotto tripod and head for photography use, the adaptor is made for the same QD system as the plates on my DLSR & telephoto lens. Anyway, mounted the Scar17 to the tripod on my back deck and got a feel for the setup while standing, sitting, and prone. No shooting due to local laws, but I'm anxious to get out to the range and give it a go.

What I'm not sure about:

I installed the mount as close to the magwell as possible balancing most of the gun's weight on the tripod. Any reason to move it forward like a bipod? Also, the gun is a couple lbs over what the tripod head is rated for, so it won't hold the gun level without a little help. When shouldered, the gun tilts and pivots with little resistance. The tension on the ball head maxed out is far from being locked in place. Would a lockable head provide any advantage? Or am I completely missing the reason people mount guns to tripods?

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
I suspect, your tripod head isn't made for the "Shock" of recoil generated by a 7.62/.308 round, probably be one of those "One and Done" experiments...
The "reason" I suspect you are looking for, is to track a moving target "at speed".
I have attempted this feat, several years ago('83), at Fort Irwin, involving an M113, and a Ma Deuce, plus several cans of ammo, versus an aerial drone... even after applying generous amounts of grease in all of the right places, it was the perfect example of an "Exercise in Futility" !!! Of course, even though I didn't chew up and spit out the drone, as it laughed at me... the bottom line was that I believe I got closer to it than the M163 Vulcan, and that was good enough for me!!

· Registered
1,131 Posts
I've seen guns shot from a single rod with a v shaped mount on the top or most guns are bi-pod mounted .. don't think I have ever seen one shot from a tri-pod .. the recoil I suspect will lift one leg off the ground or at least try to .. where a pi-pod the recoil just cause the gun to go back the two legs remain grounded ..

Would think after awhile you'll bend the shaft and possibly bend or break a leg on the tripod think that could be the weak link not the mounting head ..

How does it shoot set up that way ??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.