SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I’m going to go against the grain here and say it's totally up to you. You say you want a gun you can shoot. Ok then get one. The 226 is a safe queen and you aren’t interested in doing anything with it. The key is finding the right venue to sell it. I wouldn’t go to the local gun shop and try to sell it as they will screw you. It also depends on allot of conditional factors.

The problem with hanging on to guns and keeping them in the safe is that it ties them up. Do you have a family member interested in it to pass it on to? No.. then sell it. Just remember it’s not something you’ll be able to replace easily if your situation ever changes.

If it was me, I would prefer to have a gun I can go out and shoot than have a gun sitting in a safe. In my situation I have safe queens that my kids have no interest in.. I have them for me and me alone. So it’s all up to you and what you want.

I’m pretty sure most folks here will be very bias and advice you to keep it. This is after all a forum of people who are keen on Sig guns and lots prefer the classics like yours.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have a 5-Series BMW. Should I trade it for a Honda Civic? Opinions needed.

;):ROFLMAO:

OP, all joking aside, I have several P320’s and several P226’s. The P320 is a fantastic pistol, and every bit as capable as the P226. But there is no way in the world I’d ever consider that trade if I were you. The Classic Series SIGs don’t just get the job done, they’re works of art.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I still have my WG 226 that I bought new in 1988. I still shoot it. It is in great condition and I have the box, target, etc. But it has contributed nothing towards my increase in wealth; it is not an investment (at least not a decent one). I would have no reluctance in selling it if my actual use of it declined.

I personally am not interested in a 320, but given your reasons stated for trading, I wouldn’t fault you for making the trade.

Use it or lose it. It’s not complicated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to go with the general consensus and say keep the W. German 226. In addition to all the reasons listed above, I'm still not persuaded that we've gotten to the bottom of the reported unintended discharges with with the 320.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
Need some advice. I really think I would like a P320 with ms. I currently don’t want to spend the money. Would I be crazy to try to trade a W. German P226 in great condition with 4 magazines for a new P320? Could I make an even trade. Would appreciate advice. I really love the P226, I just don’t shoot it much and can’t really add any accessories. Thanks in advance.
You areOut Of Your Mind If You Do, enough said.

·
🎖US Army Veteran Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I wouldn't, but you have to live with the decision. Personally, I think you would regret the trade. Good luck.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you have to ask your Mom if she thinks this may be a bad idea you know it is. In general you don't trade irreplaceable things for ubiquitous things.

·
Registered
691 Posts
First of all a WG P226 is not irreplaceable. They made tens of thousands of them. If you later change your mind you won't have any difficulty finding another one. Second, other than being older they don't shoot any better or any worse than a newer P226. The one thing about them that is better than a new one is they don't have a rail. I've owned multiple WG Sigs and a bunch of new ones too. There's no tangible difference between them in my experience. Some individual guns are better than others but there's no consistent difference in fit, finish, quality or functionality between the different generations.

I'm also of the opinion that a gun you don't shoot is a paper weight and guns, in general, are lousy investment instruments. They typically lose value for a few years and then start to get a little of it back. If you keep them long enough they MIGHT keep up with inflation.

I say trade it. I've traded some pretty cool and desirable guns including several WG Sigs. Absolutely no regrets. IMO it's always better to have owned/experienced a lot of different guns than to have been limited to owning just a few. Try something new. You might prefer it but it might also make you realize you preferred the P226. No harm, no foul. You can always get another one.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Personally, I would never trade a metal SIG for a piece of plastic, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,227 Posts
Hell no! Just suck it up and buy a P320.

Reactions: MultiSync

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for all the advice that you folks have given me. I was reading the replies to my wife and she was laughing. Then, out of nowhere she says “ Go ahead and buy the gun you want, just let that be your last one “( lmfao). So I will keep the P226 for at least sentimental reasons, it was the first handgun I ever purchased. It will probably be passed down to my youngest son who would really value it. In the mean time I will keep an eye open for the box and manual. When we bought our current house it came with a 3300 square foot shop that has so much crap we have accumulated in the last 31 years that it is highly likely it is in a box on a shelf kind of like where they put the Ark of the Covenant in “Indiana Jones”.

·
🎖US Army Veteran Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Thanks for all the advice that you folks have given me. I was reading the replies to my wife and she was laughing. Then, out of nowhere she says “ Go ahead and buy the gun you want, just let that be your last one “( lmfao). So I will keep the P226 for at least sentimental reasons, it was the first handgun I ever purchased. It will probably be passed down to my youngest son who would really value it. In the mean time I will keep an eye open for the box and manual. When we bought our current house it came with a 3300 square foot shop that has so much crap we have accumulated in the last 31 years that it is highly likely it is in a box on a shelf kind of like where they put the Ark of the Covenant in “Indiana Jones”.
Good deal and congratulations! Wifey deserves and extra special Mother's day gift. 😉

·
Registered
78 Posts
Need some advice. I really think I would like a P320 with ms. I currently don’t want to spend the money. Would I be crazy to try to trade a W. German P226 in great condition with 4 magazines for a new P320? Could I make an even trade. Would appreciate advice. I really love the P226, I just don’t shoot it much and can’t really add any accessories. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, but yeah. Crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Do you shoot your 226 or is it’s safe queen?

320s are commonplace. You can buy one next year if you still have the itch. A “great condition” W German 226 doesn’t come around every day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have them both. Keep the one you like the best and shoot. Trade the other off for something new and exciting.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good deal and congratulations! Wifey deserves and extra special Mother's day gift. 😉
Yes! buy her new vacuum. j/k! 😁

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
WHEW!!! another near disaster avoided. You owe your wife BIG TIME!
If you ever entertain such thoughts again Im sure someone here would go buy a 320 just to do the trade. Myself included.
They are always on Alaska List for sale from 850.00 to 1,200.00 depending on configuration.
Here is an example, So you let me know if you wanna make that trade and I will get you a 320 for your WG226 in a heartbeat.
I like to try n help people achieve their dreams. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Keep the 226, ol joe is probably going to turn the stimulus faucet on again, so use that to get the 320.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why get rid of it? The 320 is cheap enough to buy on its own. They are completely different guns.
I had one and traded it for a new P225 MK25. It’s my favorite gun.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts