SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cost effective and proper way to ship handgun?

12K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  daviscc 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Fairly new here and I've been buying some new Sigs recently. I'm looking to sell one off and upgrade already, ha!

Anyway, what's the best way to ship one? FedEx, UpS, etc? And other than ship it to an FFL holder, what else is involved...cost. paperwork, etc?

Thank you.

#2 ·
I usually take the gun I want to ship to my FFL and he takes care of it. Costs me around 20 bucks but it is worth it. All the paperwork is done by him and I usually get a card in the mail when it is delivered. I'm sure cost is variable depending the FFL. I find that this is the most cost effective and easiest way to get it done.

#7 ·
I have never shipped one myself but I think Fed-Ex, UPS and USPS have tight policies on shipping firearms. They preference licensed dealers. You can't just put the gun in a box and ship it unless of course you lie about what's in the package. I once needed to ship a gun back to the manufacturer for warranty work, however the LGS where I bought the gun took care of everything for me.

As GFFIREMEDIC53 said, probably easier to use an FFL. If gun store won't do it, you should be able to find a private FFL that will. There is an FFL working out of his house in my area that would be happy to that for a small fee. He makes extra coin doing these kinds of transactions. He does a lot of this as well as being the end point for a lot of internet purchases.

#8 ·
Reactions: bearone2
#11 ·
For what its worth here is my 2 cents. Talking handguns here not long guns.

A non-ffl can send a firearm to a FFL (i.e. to sell or get work done); however, from my research it will end up costing me around $40 because it needs to be sent via UPS or Fedex overnight or next day plus insurance. It must also be declared a firearm when presented to the clerk.

For $10 more, I use my FFL. He charges $25 to take possession (log in his books) and $25 to ship and insure. In reality it probably only cost him $15 because a FFL can use the USPS and send it the cheapest way possible. So the bottom line in "my" case is this - for $10 more my FFL does the packing and trip to the PO and my FFL bears all the risk if my firearm is lost, stolen or damaged. Use an FFL.

#14 ·
I use my FFL to ship any gun I've sold to another FFL. I box it up and he books it in and takes it to the P.O. I pay him $25.00 for the service and the shipping fee that I've collected from the buyer. This way all responsibility is off of me and there is a paper trail for my gun so I don't have to worry about it if something happens with the gun later.

#17 ·
I've wondered about this same thing. I have sent a pistol to sig address some failures and they shipped back to me at my residence. I've shipped to family as well via ups overnight as well. I don't think they asked if there was a firearm in box so I didn't mention it. I felt a little uneasy about it until it arrived at its destination. I am planning on selling on gb in the near future and wondered how to handle shipping. If my local ffl agrees to shipping for me I'd send through them without even hesitating

#18 ·
I have shipped some through FedEx with no problem. I set up an account with them (free) and they will bill you for the actual shipping charge.
Some others make some very valid points about FFL's. Be sure your buyer has cleared it and get a copy of the FFL before you ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.