SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a P365 for EDC and love it. Also just ordered a P365XL.
So most of my pistols are chambered in .40, but I’m thinking of switching all to 9mm.
First I thought of selling off all the .40s, but I decided to convert my home defense pistol to 9mm and see if it’s reliable and still shoots well.
It’s a 2007 Sig P226 SRT .40 that I’ve already put a SRT kit and solid rod into.
So I ordered a Barstow 9mm threaded barrel and lighter slide spring and a 9mm magazine.
The barrel seems to fit well without any custom fitting.
I’ve also ordered a Gray Guns flat trigger kit to install later.
I’ll check back in once I get it to the range for testing.

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
It’s a 2007 Sig P226 SRT .40 that I’ve already put a SRT kit and solid rod into.
So I ordered a Barstow 9mm threaded barrel and lighter slide spring and a 9mm magazine.
The barrel seems to fit well without any custom fitting.
I’ve also ordered a Gray Guns flat trigger kit to install later.
I’ll check back in once I get it to the range for testing.
So how did it shoot?

For a 40 to a 9 conversion, don't you also need a lighter recoil spring and mags for the 9mm?

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
If he installed the BowMar barrel like mine, he is in for the most pleasant surprise of his life.
Their 9MM barrels are micro nail drivers. I have a photo of one that a friend of mine (35 years younger and much better shape) fired at the range where the single hole in the middle of the target at 12 yds is the pass through of 5 rounds. I think the kid was a ringer.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I have a great desire to play with .357 Sig but try finding one lol
Keep the .40 and source the barrels/conversion kits and have 4 calibers on one frame.
.40/.357 on your .40 slide
9mm on its slide
.22 on its slide
Unless I am missing something (very possible) That would be my route.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
I have a great desire to play with .357 Sig but try finding one lol
Keep the .40 and source the barrels/conversion kits and have 4 calibers on one frame.
.40/.357 on your .40 slide
9mm on its slide
.22 on its slide
Unless I am missing something (very possible) That would be my route.
Ya know, that's a good plan.

Reactions: decula

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
If he installed the BowMar barrel like mine, he is in for the most pleasant surprise of his life.
Their 9MM barrels are micro nail drivers. I have a photo of one that a friend of mine (35 years younger and much better shape) fired at the range where the single hole in the middle of the target at 12 yds is the pass through of 5 rounds. I think the kid was a ringer.
Thank you for your post - I went this route and the barrel didn't drop in (although 3 other BarSto barrels did in other guns). In shop having it fitted. I thought that as heavy as the walls were that this would be a fun project. Hope it gets out of the hospital soon.

-dec

Oh - you might see some folks just tossing a 9mm barrel into a 40/357 sig frame on Youtube and claiming success. Please do NOT consider doing this. It will be an accident just waiting to happen. What works on Tuesday may just hurt you on Wednesday.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Stay away from the EFK barrels. I bought one for my 229. It's been 4 months and they aren't answering my emails. I get it. Covid, yadda, yadda. If I don't hear from them by the end of the month I am contesting the charges on my card.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thank you for your post - I went this route and the barrel didn't drop in (although 3 other BarSto barrels did in other guns). In shop having it fitted. I thought that as heavy as the walls were that this would be a fun project. Hope it gets out of the hospital soon.

-dec

Oh - you might see some folks just tossing a 9mm barrel into a 40/357 sig frame on Youtube and claiming success. Please do NOT consider doing this. It will be an accident just waiting to happen. What works on Tuesday may just hurt you on Wednesday.
There have been plenty of people that have dropped a 9mm barrel into a 40/357 slide with no problems.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have the P226 in 40. Bought a Barsto conversion barrel for it.It did not "drop in." I was new to firearms at that time and didn't want to mess anything up. I took mine to a gunsmith. Cost me $170 and a little over a week. I bought the 9mm recoil spring too.
I shoot the Barsto more accurately and consistent than the 40. I have since purchased a second slide and a 357 sig barrel too.1 grip, 1 trigger, 1 set of controls, 3 calibers, how can it get better then that?
I can't express this point enough though. Pay ATTENTION. When changing calibers, put away unused caliber including ammo! I say out loud 40 barrel, 40 ammo and 40 magazine while I double check barrel marking, mag marking and ammo. Swap to 9mm, all the 40 stuff goes into the range bag and 9mm stuff comes out. Swap barrel and spring, verify 9mm barrel, mags and ammo are the only ones out. Its more important when going from 9mm to 40 as a 40 wont chamber in a 9mm barrel but the 9mm round slides right into the 40 barrel. Be careful and enjoy!

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
There have been plenty of people that have dropped a 9mm barrel into a 40/357 slide with no problems.

And that would be using the 9mm conversion barrel. Using the stock Sig 9mm barrel leaves the nose of the barrel flopping around, and the chamber end too narrow.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
And that would be using the 9mm conversion barrel. Using the stock Sig 9mm barrel leaves the nose of the barrel flopping around, and the chamber end too narrow.
The outside diameter is the same for all three calibers. The width at the hood is a slight bit narrow on the 9mm.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
The outside diameter is the same for all three calibers. The width at the hood is a slight bit narrow on the 9mm.

Just took measurements of the barrel diameters.
40 & 357 are .554”
9mm is .534”.

Stock Sig 9mm is loose in the 40/357 slide.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
This chart has been posted before. The 229 you have to use a conversion barrel. The barrel diameter of the 9mm is smaller than the 40/357. With the 226 you can use the stock 9mm barrel in a 40/357 slide. My 9mm barrel does not flop around in my 40/357 slide.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
This chart has been posted before. The 229 you have to use a conversion barrel. The barrel diameter of the 9mm is smaller than the 40/357. With the 226 you can use the stock 9mm barrel in a 40/357 slide. My 9mm barrel does not flop around in my 40/357 slide.

Ok, I was taking measurements from my 229 barrels.
Hmmm, interesting that the 226 40/357 barrels have the smaller diameter of the 9mm barrel.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
The lack of the official Sig CALX-226-9-BSS from the list is interesting.
I'm a newbie, I'll admit it. Reading previous threads on Sigtalk was also interesting about this subject.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts