SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When 40sw p226 mags were scarce I converted a few Beretta 96 mags by adding a higher cut on the mag. they worked in p226 but not smoothly in B96 anymore.

I have an opportunity to buy a p220 38Super slide assembly with heel release mag. I know p226 barrel will work in the slide but the mag won't work in my button release p220 frame. Is there a way to make the similar mod to the 9mm heel release mag to work in a button release frame?

TIA

GCC

· Banned
6,262 Posts
I would not even attempt to do so. Is there a life/death situation that requires the modification? If not, don't mess with the gun. Just b/c something works doesn't mean it's supposed to, and you are opening the door for anything to happen. Just food for thought.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
I understood that...I just wouldn't do it. But, to each his own.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not even attempt to do so. Is there a life/death situation that requires the modification? If not, don't mess with the gun. Just b/c something works doesn't mean it's supposed to, and you are opening the door for anything to happen. Just food for thought.
No. Just want more options for my existing p220. just to be clear, I'm asking if making a small cut on a p220 heel catch 9mm magazine will work in a button catch frame. Not making mods to the gun at all.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
No. Just want more options for my existing p220. just to be clear, I'm asking if making a small cut on a p220 heel catch 9mm magazine will work in a button catch frame. Not making mods to the gun at all.
Well, like MC said, I'm sure it can be done. I'm just not one to make modifications to my guns (which includes magazines in my mind), but you do what you think is best. :cool:

· Banned
6,262 Posts

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,437 Posts
10snxs, there may be another problem. We have determined in another thread, that member that had a 9mm European 220, had a stress cracked slide, and was trying to find a suitable replacement. One thing we found was that the trigger bar needs to be able to operate in an arc relieved into the slide, to fire in double action. A .45 220 slide IIRC wouldn't function on his 9mm 220 frame. You may run into same situation.

IIRC this was this past October/November time frame...

15,437 Posts

15,437 Posts
If the slide assembly ends up workable, you may be better off using the magazine dimensions to modify possibly a 10mm magazine, by adjusting the feed lips to the .38 Supers gap and release point, and narrowing the follower, and shimming the sides, as I imagine that magazine is worth at least a couple of 10mm mags or more...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.