SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my first outing after having my Saiga converted from the as-imported condition to the proper AK setup, I was experiencing FTFs after the majority of my shots.

I inserted a mag loaded with ten rounds to start with, racked it, pulled the trigger, bang (and man, do I live the thump of 7.62x39). Action cycled itself, I pulled the trigger, NO bang. No click, no trigger movement. Manually cycled the action and a live / unspent round was ejected when I cycled the action. I took aim, pulled the trigger, bang. Action cycled itself, I pulled the trigger, NO bang. It did this for the whole magazine. 5 shots taken, 5 live rounds extracted onto the ground.

I thought it might have been the mag so I grabbed another one that had 30 rounds in it and started firing. Had the same FTF scenario after the first round but then it functioned fine for ten rounds or so. I handed it to another shooter to try out; the majority of his shots had the FTF issue as well.

Any ideas what was going on based on what was happening? Any troubleshooting steps I should have taken?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sounds like the hammer isn't resetting properly...thus no click when you pull the trigger...the hammer is probably following the bolt forwards when it picks up the next round. Without knowing more about the conversion it would be difficult to say what is causing it or how to fix. My brother-in-law picked up a Saiga that also had been converted...the person who did the work used AK guts not saiga so all the tolerances were completely off. Had to replace all the guts with proper parts.

It *might* have to do with your gas system...it may not be getting enough gas to get the bolt all the way back. I would start with checking it out. Might need cleaning...might be a gas setting if it is adjustable. If that doesn't do it then start looking at the guts and see if the tollerences look right.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The conversion was a Carolina kit (https://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/category_s/1864.htm) and the work was done by a local gunsmith whose work I trust. It will be a while before I can get him to take a look at it so figured I'd see if there were any checks I could do myself. I'll start with the gas system, thanks for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts