SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of buying a P229 LEO trade in as a gun to tinker with.

I would like to become more comfortable replacing triggers, springs etc, and thought that may be a good place to start.

I see that the DAK is generally selling for less than the DA/SA, but have heard that some DAK's can not be converted to DA/SA because of frame design.

Is there a way to know before buying one if it can or can not be converted?

·
Registered
11,608 Posts
But the regular P-series decocker bearing works in these frames, no? At least they do in my P224 frame missing this hole/indentation.
I've heard that the regular P-series bearing will fit in the P224/P229C. In my mind though it doesn't address why SIG added the extra pin to the P224/229C bearing in the first place so I'm hesitant to say that it will work without issue.

Just me being my usual cautious self.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the additional DA/SA parts to convert my P224 from DAK to DA/SA, but the regular decocker bearing seems, at least to me, to function properly and without issue. The bearing is held in place, as it is by the other frames, by depressions in the frame to hold it's orientation correct.

·
Registered
11,608 Posts
It still makes me wonder why SIG made the change to the 224 bearing. It's not like they are opposed to using the same part across multiple models (thankfully).

·
Registered
19,761 Posts
I am toying with the idea of buying a P229 LEO trade in as a gun to tinker with.

I would like to become more comfortable replacing triggers, springs etc, and thought that may be a good place to start.
I don't believe there are any issues converting the P229, just the P224. Plan on spending upwards of $200 to buy new parts to convert it to DA/SA. If you can find used parts you might only spend $100.

The best way to know for sure about the swap is to take off the left grip panel and look for the hole.

·
Registered
821 Posts

I see that the DAK is generally selling for less than the DA/SA, but have heard that some DAK's can not be converted to DA/SA because of frame design.

Is there a way to know before buying one if it can or can not be converted?
You won't have any problem doing a DA/SA conversion on the standard P229 DAK. The cost for new parts should be $180-$200, including a Short Reset Trigger. Sourcing used parts would be less.

The conversion isn't complicated. You'll be able to get your hands dirty and gain some experience with the inner workings of the classic P-series.

·
Premium Member
37,075 Posts
If a DA/SA is what you are looking for be patient.
I have looked at a lot of ex LEOs and most of them like 90% have been DA/SA.

I was looking for a DAK just to try out, and took me a long time to find one.

Be sure to check the rails. I have seen a few that looked good outside, but the rails were heavily worn.
Either no lube or just a light oil, was my guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts