SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this short and simple. When I started shooting handguns my first caliber was .40 S&W. Not too long after getting into handguns we started a family and I didn't have time to shoot for quite a while. With the start of the pandemic, riots and such I went ahead and got my CCW and started carrying a Glock 26. I am not a 9mm hater, I think its good enough but I've always liked .40 and .45 better. Now that I've been carrying more, I want a lighter carry setup which led me to getting a P365X. Granted I've only put 24 rounds through it so far but I'm addicted to shooting that little gun.

I also love shooting .45 ACP but I can't really carry it with my body type. The weight of the gun and ammo requires me to wear suspenders and while it's not a huge deal, its easier to carry the 365X with less hassle. So, I'm contemplating getting rid of my last .45 ACP pistol and ammo to obtain more 9mm ammo and perhaps a second 365X or a 320 X Compact. Should I keep the .45 around to shoot occasionally and buy more 9mm as money allows or dump the .45 stuff now and essentially convert it into a 9mm stash?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
It depends on the 45. If it’s just a run of the mill everyday glock or similar.. move it on. If it’s nicer, hang on to it. my honest opinion is tool guns like Glocks, P320, P365 and M&P are just that.. tools. Nothing that can’t get replaced with something similar or better later.

Life is dealing you cards and you gotta pick and choose priorities.. It happens to all of us.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Last year .. or the year before I down sized because I thought it would make my life simpler. Mostly in that I reload so I didnt have to find components for several different types of ammo and so on. I stayed with .40 and 357/38. Have a hand full of each.

Been looking for a .45 now for the last 6 months .. Damn I love .45!! I already sold off my dies and large primers but I have bullets and powder but still .... Gotta have a .45 in the stable. Just got back from shooting with a buddy out in the desert and he had his HK loaded up wtih semiwad cutters... damn I just like looking at those giant holes!! :)

As much as I wont buy a gun that I cant press into service as a true defensive CARRY gun .. I do own a Smith And Wesson 28 from the 70's. Have a holster for it but lets be real .. its big and heavy. Would be last on my list as a carry gun but it is OH SO MUCH FUN TO SHOOT.

Life is for living .. nice to have a few things you just enjoy "because"

·
Registered
22,688 Posts
I'm kind of obsessive about having options in calibers as well as pistol sizes. If the shelves at the store only have one caliber to buy when I need it, I should have something to shoot it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So do you like the .45ACP cartridge or the 1911-style pistol? If the former, get a Glock 30 or 36. If the latter, there are 1911s in 9mm.

If it were me, I’d just keep .45for the occasional range day and concentrate on practicing with the G26.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you are talking about the .45 ACP P320 keep it and never look back. I have had a lot of ,45 including custom ones. With the Gas Pedal, the P320 in .45 is one of sweetest pistols ever. Besides, Rugged and failproof. I have carried one three summer doing ranch chores, got filthy but never a hiccup.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If it’s a really nice 45 I’d keep it. If not special in any way let it go. I’m not a 45 guy for EDC but I enjoy owning my P220 ST and Legion. For me I just like having a couple to play around with at the range. Just took mine to the range yesterday and loved firing them although it gives you a whole new appreciation for 15 + 1 :)
Brown Luggage and bags White Light Bag

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Colt 1911 Combat Commander in .38 Super. I used to love that gun until I got my P365. Now I rarely shoot the Colt. I still keep it, though, mostly for sentimental reasons. If you can afford to keep the .45 then keep it. There may come a time when you want to use it again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have always been partial to the 1911 platform. And the data from Marshall/Sanow's work deem it a "top 2" defensive caliber. The fit and feel of that straight backstrap frame was "bliss" in my hands.
...until I found the P365 XL. Nothing (to me) beats the hand fit, carry profile, capacity, and Sig reputation.

I have an SAS for summer carry with a Lima laser, but anytime clothing permits, the XL is my mainstay. Awaiting a Milt Sparks SSII in Horsehide/Shark (Nov), which should ease the use of the XL year round.

Regarding parting with the .45...I have let many firearms go over the years. Usually to "upgrade" to something else. Although I miss "owning" them, I would not shoot them, so in reality, it is better they went elsewhere.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To answer some of the replies here, yeah I really like the cartridge and really enjoy shooting it. My .45 auto is an early Gen 3 Glock 30. Something about the grip size and ergonomics makes that particular Glock fit my hand like a glove, it is very accurate and reliable. If I had to get rid all my Glocks except one, I'd be keeping the 30. My main train of thought here was with ammo prices now, I've taken the G30 to the range once this year and only loaded 2 magazines for it. My last check on ammoseek.com had Federal AE 230gr FMJ at .70 cents per round and going up from there.

According to my counts I have approximately 740 rounds of .45 left. I have approximately 400 rounds of 9x19 now so I can do some shooting with 9 but I'd always like to have more ammo :)

If I were to hang onto the .45 cartridge I'd probably be done shooting it for a while to conserve the ammo I have on hand for it and just buy up 9mm as needed. Perhaps down the road I'd consider selling the Glock 30 and put the money towards a P220 or P227. While I like the looks of the 1911 I think I'd rather have a P series .45 Auto.

·
Registered
781 Posts
To answer some of the replies here, yeah I really like the cartridge and really enjoy shooting it. My .45 auto is an early Gen 3 Glock 30. Something about the grip size and ergonomics makes that particular Glock fit my hand like a glove, it is very accurate and reliable. If I had to get rid all my Glocks except one, I'd be keeping the 30. My main train of thought here was with ammo prices now, I've taken the G30 to the range once this year and only loaded 2 magazines for it. My last check on ammoseek.com had Federal AE 230gr FMJ at .70 cents per round and going up from there.

According to my counts I have approximately 740 rounds of .45 left. I have approximately 400 rounds of 9x19 now so I can do some shooting with 9 but I'd always like to have more ammo :)

If I were to hang onto the .45 cartridge I'd probably be done shooting it for a while to conserve the ammo I have on hand for it and just buy up 9mm as needed. Perhaps down the road I'd consider selling the Glock 30 and put the money towards a P220 or P227. While I like the looks of the 1911 I think I'd rather have a P series .45 Auto.
But prices will come out of the stratosphere eventually. we may never see them CHEAP as we once did but they wont stay crazy for much longer. I am already seeing them drop on all the Email Newsletters I get from various gun supply places.

One of the best things I ever did was take up reloading about 6 years ago. I can still go out and blow off a hundred rounds a week while everyone is sitting home or paying insane prices. If you have a little space and a buddy who can take you through the steps I highly recommended looking into it. Start collecting all your brass now and the buy in price to get started reloading is half the cost of a case of ammo and then you are all set.

Its a little tough now because primers are invisable but you can still find them. Powder and bullets are widely available and you will reuse you cases.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Never get rid of a 45. I'd dump a 40 S&W long before I'd even consider losing one of my 45's. There aren't many handgun rounds with the one shot stop reputation of the 45 ACP. Slow and fat... gets the job done every time.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Keep it. 45ACP is one of the best all around calibers and of all the Glocks I've owned some of the best have been 45ACP.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
It's a Glock. Nothing special about it. They are a dime a dozen. If were a Colt, Sig, or another of the quality weapons I would say keep it. But its a Glock.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Everyone should keep a freight train around. I refer of course to the 45acp. It is slow, but packs a big punch. I've got Sigs, Glocks, and Dan Wesson in 45acp. They are here to stay. A friend that was a ranger in Viet Nam said he got in a firefight with some viet cong and had a 9mm hi power. After the firefight he got rid of the 9mm and went with the 45. He said you could hit them with a 9mm and it went right through them. He further said that you could hit them with a 45 in the hand and they went down. Something to think about.

Reactions: Bahn

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P226 Elite and P365 XL
266 Posts
It depends on the 45. If it’s just a run of the mill everyday glock or similar.. move it on. If it’s nicer, hang on to it. my honest opinion is tool guns like Glocks, P320, P365 and M&P are just that.. tools. Nothing that can’t get replaced with something similar or better later.

Life is dealing you cards and you gotta pick and choose priorities.. It happens to all of us.
Words of wisdom , KenBry!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts