SIG Talk banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
It is unfortunate that a few people here do not understand the idea of what "deter" means.

1. Discourage (someone) from doing something, typically by instilling doubt or fear of the consequences.

2. Prevent the occurrence of.

Arming a teacher is not a viable deterrent. It also would not have prevented his mother's death.
We have to get to the root cause of the problem. Someone mentioned making people buy a quality safe when they buy a gun and forcing them to use it. That is a great idea and a very good start. Responsible gun ownership starts with us. Too many weapons are being stolen due to insufficient safe guards.
I'm sure we as a society can come up with more solutions.

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
Semantics. By arming teachers I meant allowing them to carry gun at school.
Self armed teacher is still an armed teacher. I'm pretty sure it would be government sponsored program with some kind of reimbursement to the teacher to obtain gun/training. Do you really think that two seniors in high school [football players, wrestlers etc.] cannot wrestle down the teacher and take his gun?
My post is semantic, but your wild tangent about government-sponsored programs is perfectly legitimate? Preposterous. We're talking about restoring a basic Constitutional FREEDOM, not taking expensive, proactive measures to get guns in classrooms. A good portion of teachers already carry weapons off-campus; they need to be allowed to do the same in their workplace AS THEY SO CHOOSE.

And I guess you missed the part where bad kids were already bringing guns to school with them. The last shooter brought four guns with him, and used two. Tell me what risk there would be in having a couple of armed teachers present. Are you really worried about the bad guy with four guns getting another gun?

·
Registered
55,361 Posts
they walk amongst us & when you figure out who's crazy...........

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
It is unfortunate that the few people here do not understand the idea of what "deter" means.

1. Discourage (someone) from doing something, typically by instilling doubt or fear of the consequences.

2. Prevent the occurrence of.

Arming a teacher is not a viable deterrent. It also would not have prevented his mother's death.
We have to get to the root cause of the problem. Someone mentioned making people buy a quality safe when they buy a gun and forcing them to use it. That is a great idea and a very good start. Responsible gun ownership starts with us. Too many weapons are being stolen due to insufficient safe guards.
I'm sure we as a society can come up with more solutions.
Please explain to everyone how you would FORCE someone to use a safe in their home. You can't even keep people from stealing cable TV.

Once again, society as a whole is the target of anti-freedom loons.

What would happen if guns were taken away from cops? Do you think violent crime would increase, or stay the same? (Hint: look at Detroit.)

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
Do you have the ability to read? The majority of my post was the Government is not coming to take your guns away, that people have a responsibility to lock up their guns and where is the empathy for the people who lost loved ones. A lot of these posts are about your not taking my guns and we should make teachers IDPA weekend warriors.

This kid was unstable and had access to mommies guns. Do you see two problems with this scenario?
Problem one: unstable young man.

Problem two: victimized, dead mother being blamed for her son's actions.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Please explain to everyone how you would FORCE someone to use a safe in their home. You can't even keep people from stealing cable TV.

What would happen if guns were taken away from cops? Do you think violent crime would increase, or stay the same? (Hint: look at Detroit.)
For one, if during the course of an investigation after you report your gun stolen, it is discovered you failed to provide proof they we're in a safe, than you receive a citation which will cost you an absorbent amount of money, perhaps twice the amount a good safe would have cost. Now that would be a deterrent!

·
Registered
340 Posts

Cops don't have guns in Detroit?:eek:

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
For one, if during the course of an investigation after you report your gun stolen, it is discovered you failed to provide proof they we're in a safe, than you receive a citation which will cost you an absorbent amount of money, perhaps twice the amount a good safe would have cost. Now that would be a deterrent!
It sure would. It would be a deterrent to report stolen guns, since it would probably be cheaper to replace them than to pay the citation in your example.

Know what happens when thieves know that every firearm owner has a safe? Thieves bring safecracking tools. It happens now, and it would still happen. In fact, theft would actually increase, because they'd know that all of your firearms are locked away where you can't quickly access them.

You really should leave the thinking to folks who think.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It sure would. It would be a deterrent to report stolen guns, since it would probably be cheaper to replace them than to pay the citation in your example.

Know what happens when thieves know that every firearm owner has a safe? Thieves bring safecracking tools. It happens now, and it would still happen. In fact, theft would actually increase, because they'd know that all of your firearms are locked away where you can't quickly access them.

You really should leave the thinking to folks who think.
You are a real moron. Put a gun in a safe when you are away. You have all the solutions and not even providing any stimulating input other than arming teachers. Get real.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Guns sales are at a record high, but violent crime is going down.

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
How does a thief know you have a gun safe? Would you park yours in front of the dining room window for everyone to see it as they drove by?
Under your ridiculous law proposal, any thief that knows you have a firearm knows you have a safe.

My safe is five feet by three feet by three feet yet no guests or other family members outside of my house have seen it or know about it.
Everyone on this forum now knows about it. You're not the brightest crayon in the box, are you?

Also I have two parents who are both teachers, a sister who is a teacher and the FFL I use is a teacher also. None of them want to carry a gun at their schools. So what do you do when the teachers don't want to carry because they are educated people who know what the liability is?
Then they are free NOT to carry if they so choose. What, exactly, about this concept of freedom is eluding you? :mellow:

You are a real moron. Put a gun in a safe when you are away.
Even better! No one to stop them from just taking the entire safe.

You have all the solutions and not even providing any stimulating input other than arming teachers. Get real.
Teachers are already armed, Slick. They're armed at the bowling alley, at the shopping mall, at church, at the roller skating rink, at McDonald's, at the Miley Cyrus concerts, at Wal-Mart, at the state fair, and even at the library and the museum.

They're just not allowed to be armed in the classroom. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great conversations on this thread !
My heart hurts for the victims of Newtown CT.
My opinions on some of the topics discussed here:
IT IS THE POOR OR NON-EXISTENT MENTAL HEALTH CARE WE HAVE IN THIS COUNTRY THAT IS THE ISSUE. ALL of these shootings have been proven to be done by people with mental health issues.
We have an Obesity problem in this country too, maybe we should ban forks & spoons !
How about making cocaine & heroin illegal too... maybe that will stop the drug abuse ?
I think Hollywood movies, TV, gangsta rap, video games are another huge factor of why we have a violent society.
What happened in CT. is the straw that broke the camel's back... and something will be done about guns. (unfortunately for us "armed" law abiding citizens... it won't be nice, but hopefully minimal)
Teachers "armed" ? Well... most teachers were educated from liberal colleges and are protected by public sector unions. (I don't think that will ever happen in my state) "Unless they go to Israel and teach for awhile."
Gun Safes: just watch the TV show "Storage Wars", they break into safes all the time and show you how to do it.
Door to door confiscation: well, they did it during Katrina... I can't say that it will never happen ?

Anything I miss ? What other reasons are there ? (why this country & society seems to be falling apart)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wow, a lot of hate for Hurricane here.
It seems to me people were throwing around insults before he did.
Hurricane is absolutely right in all of this.
He's talking about allowing teachers to exercise their second amendment rights, not forcing teachers to be armed.
How are you people not understanding this? Or maybe you DO understand it, and you think our second amendment rights need to be limited by the government, because somehow the government knows better than us?
You people realize that there really is no such thing as a "system", right? Everything is run by HUMAN BEINGS. Everyone in the government is human, and so are we. There is NOTHING that guarantees that they know better than us.

Another thing, if I was a teacher with the option to carry, I would do so. I wouldn't care about the liability. I would rather risk losing my career, than risk losing my life, and the lives of my students.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well Ordered Militia. Huh? What does that mean?

Why have a fire extinguisher when there's a fire department?

Why carry a spare tire, lug wrench, and jack when Triple A is only a phone call away if/when you get a flat tire?

Why have a first aid kit when an ambulance can take you to the hospital?

Why store away extra food, water, and fuel when businesses and the government will feed you and keep you warm in a disaster?

Why build your house on stilts when you live near a coastline or a river?

Why dig a storm cellar when you live in areas frequented by tornadoes?

Why have farmers when you can get anything you want at the grocery store?

Why have tools in the garage when you can take your car to a mechanic?

Why learn about current, voltage, resistance, inductance and capacitance when you can hire an electrician?

Why learn about alpha and beta particles and gamma rays? Homer Simpson, an employee at a nuclear plant knows, but does your average high school student?

America is a car culture. Why have driver's ed in high school for 15- and 16-year olds? Because it makes us all safer on the road.

Why have a well ordered militia when you have the police and military?

America is also a gun culture, if not physically (some people don't own guns), then virtually through entertainment in the form of movies and video games. There will always be angry young men with weapons, who are so intensely focused on vengeance against the society that ridiculed them for being different and for making them feel like they don't belong that no amount of harm to innocents will be sufficient retribution for the pain they've suffered their entire lives.

The founding fathers had it right to expect well ordered militias to give the people a modicum of self sufficiency and self protection. Society's protection, in the form of police, against these hidden and unexpected threats can't be everywhere every time.

The answer to this question is why my grandmother and grandfather taught me how to shoot when I was 7-years old and their great grandsons (my boys) are all Eagle Scouts. Be prepared. You'll never read about a deranged gunman attacking the Boy Scout camp where my sons learned to reload .30-06 rounds. There are too many other easily accessible soft targets.

Second and third grade is not too young to teach children how to safely use tools and weapons. Some say I'm ********. Yet, in 43 years I've never had an accidental discharge or shot anybody that didn't start shooting at me first. My biggest problem has been remembering where the keys for the trigger locks are.

I hired recent high school graduates for a couple-hours to help with a car repair, more out of civic duty than really needing their help --they were standing around smoking in front of a 7-Eleven. They had no clue how the ratchet worked in a socket wrench or which socket to choose. They had never selected a 10mm socket to fit a 10mm nut. Amazed at their inability to guesstimate a measurement I ejected the clip from my Glock and handed them a 9mm round to compare to the nut. With prompting that the nut was just a little bit larger than the bullet, they selected a 10mm socket.

I made sure there were no rounds in the chamber and I had control of the clip before letting them handle the weapon with the slide open. It was obvious they had no education, training, or hands on experience with guns either. Even though it was unloaded, they pointed it at themselves, my dog, and even worse --at my truck!

Had they ever handled a shotgun, rifle, revolver, or pistol before? What do think? What is our society thinking when it sends its youth out into the world with none of the most basic skills? No wonder common sense isn't a common virtue.

The odds of suffering the consequences of ignorance and poor preparation for catastrophes is likely to increase as long as people fail to learn the most basic fundamental aspects of the elements that go into their housing, feeding, transporting, and protection. Governments insistence on a passive public allowed 9/11/2001 using nothing more than box cutters. Go to the TSA blog to see how many weapons are inadvertently in carry on baggage --even with huge amounts of publicity. None of those armed civilians appear to have been planning on hijacking an airplane.

Mother nature not only produces hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, floods and fires, she also produces the occasional psychopath/sociopath --some believe pure evil. While the devil incarnate sometimes picks on police officers --as was the case at the Fairfax Virginia Sully District Station, the preference is the massed defenseless located in movie theaters, shopping malls, summer camps, colleges, high schools, and now kindergartens.

Given mankind's penchant for guns, every teacher ought to set the example for what a well ordered militia means. If my 72-year old grandmother had enough sense to pull a .38 on a burglar in her house when she was home alone and make sure he hears the first action of the double-action hammer cocking, then any administrator and teacher half her age in a school responsible for the lives of hundreds of kids ought to be able to do the same thing. You don't need a SWAT team of heavily armed cops rolling up in an armored truck.

One ****** off and scared teacher that isn't going to let anything happen to her students is all it will take to halt any predator in its tracks: two in the chest, one in the head. Problem solved. Nobody hurt. Lesson learned --don't threaten my kids. No massed defenseless here. Take pictures. Call the morgue. Let the janitor know to bring extra bleach. Resume teaching.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bravo, Julio, bravo! Fantastic post!
This man knows what's goin' on.
:D

121 - 140 of 155 Posts