SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I'll start off by saying I'm fairly new to guns and may have made a rookie mistake that will make some of you just shake your heads. Or maybe i just don't understand the difference between 7.62NATO/.308 WIN?

I was at Sig Sauer Pro Shop in NH the other day and bought a 716i TREAD with a Sierra3 BDX scope. I was telling the sales guy I was interested in buying one chambered for .308 as opposed to 7.62 NATO. I didn't take a close look to the markings on the rifle when he opened the box, again, I'm a new guy.

I got it home, field stripped it, cleaned and lubricated it, and took a good look at it. I can't find any markings that state this rifle is chambered for .308! The barrel of my rifle is stamped by the muzzle as 7.62 NATO 1/10. Above the magazine well it only states Multi-Caliber. I took a good look at the little label on the box with the serial number. It says 7.62 NATO no mention of .308.

Sig's website shows the 716i TREAD as .308 WIN. However, the online owners manual shows the rifle as 7.62 NATO, which more than likely is a generic manual.

If the rifle is truly chambered in .308, shouldn't that be stamped somewhere on this rifle? Do I essentially have a .308 only its stamped with its metric equivalent? Should I bring this rifle back for one stamped .308 WIN, if that exists?

I'm concerned a bit because I understand, maybe incorrectly, that you should only load cartridges of the same caliber stamped on the firearm.

I appreciate any answers, dope slaps, or words of wisdom any of you can offer!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here you go...

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's no ".308" Tread. In my opinion, you are worrying about nothing. I've fired various marked .308 commercial ammunition through mine, M80 ball ammunition and a variety of hand loaded from mixed commercial brass using both 150FMJBT and 168/175 BTHP. The commercial factory loaded included match, fmj and soft point. I've measured and inspected all brass and there's no issues.
To add-I haven't had a single malfunction with this gun.

I say keep it and enjoy the rifle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no ".308" Tread. In my opinion, you are worrying about nothing. I've fired various marked .308 commercial ammunition through mine, M80 ball ammunition and a variety of hand loaded from mixed commercial brass using both 150FMJBT and 168/175 BTHP. The commercial factory loaded included match, fmj and soft point. I've measured and inspected all brass and there's no issues.
To add-I haven't had a single malfunction with this gun.

I say keep it and enjoy the rifle.
Thanks! I guess thats what I'm trying to figure out. From what you're saying, Sig stamps all their 716's 7.62 NATO but even though they will shoot .308 WIN. I've got to say though, the water is muddy for a new guy like me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In all my years, never had an issue with the .308/7.62. .223/5.56 on the other hand is another story. Reference the .223/5.56, remember we also have the .223 Wylde. Unless a customer or manufacturer specifically demands/manufactures an AR based gun in .223, virtually all AR based guns NOW are 5.56 unless the manufacturer deliberately turns out a faulty product as in poor equipment/inspection, etc, etc. Plenty of "5.56" marked guns have had 5.56 chamber reamers run through them with shavings coming out. Of course various manufacturers of chamber reamers have slight dimensional differences. I've also delinked plenty of 7.62 and fired it in different guns, Ruger Scout, LMT MRP, FAL, etc. It's nothing different.

While I'm at it- if anyone says a 1n7 twist won't shoot 55 grain ball-they are a complete idiot and just parrot what someone told them. Same as 28 rounds in a 30 round mag, I'l stop now.

I can say this the sound a blemington .223 LTR makes when you fire actual MK262 ammo in it and that little vent by the chamber saves your *** is one sound I will never forget nor repeat. That was when I didn't know any better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As you read I the links prior, .308 is slightly higher in chamber pressure then 7.62 but not enough to be unsafe. Variables in manufacturing and/or reloading are present, no worries unless you exceed reloading data from actual sources.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info! I appreciate your input. I knew there would be some experience on these boards.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I don't know of any MSR that's actually chambered for 7.62 NATO.
I imagine you would have heard of catastrophic failures by now.
Minimum chamber for 7.62 NATO is 1.6355". .308 no-go gauge is 1.634"
If it eats a 1.638" .308 field gauge don't shoot commercial ammo through it.

These aren't the AR10's from the 50's that was built around 7.62 NATO with no concern for the consumer market.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, as you probably know, a 5.56 rifle can shoot .223win safely, but a .223win rifle should not be firing a 5.56 cartridge. Heard of this right? So similar applies to 7.62 and .308, just reversed. Generally a rifle is marked for its intended caliber but then you can use the slightly smaller counterpart on it. So if you have a .308 you can shoot both, if you have a 7.62 you should only be putting 7.62 trough it.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Email Sig for a verified answer to this question, then print Sig's reply... Otherwise, fall back on the safety rule mentioned in the previous two comments.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have owned three 716 and have shot both 7.62 and .308 in the same rifle with the same set up from the factory, no modifications whatsoever. Also never a misfire or mishap of any sort.

I think it boils down to the barrel and lower receiver being marked "multi caliber".

For what it is worth, Sig list the 716 tread as being .308 and list the 716 patrol as 7.62.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Welcome to Sig Talk - and Congrats on your new rifle!! Yeah, understand your confusion - You've jumped into a deep end with this powerful rifle.

Your 308 vs 7.62 question is a long standing & somewhat important caliber issue. At least, it's good to know your rifle's specific ammo specs to avoid potential problems.

My solution was to own SIG's bolt SSG3000 and Primary Weapons System's semiauto MK220 - both stamped for 308 Caliber. But, I'll be very surprised if your 716i Tread can't safely run modern factory 308 loads. I mean, we're not talking about old converted Mauser ammo or hot handloads.

After registering your gun with SIG, suggest sending SIG's CS an email with your rifle's serial number asking specifically what ammo is safe. Make sure you understand their response and if necessary, follow up with a phone call. You should keep their written response with your receipt and other important papers too.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
don't sweat it. your rifle will handle any factory .308 or 7.62x51mm ammo.
an FN Scar20S is similarly marked as 7.62x51mm as it is manufactured for the military, but sold on the civilian market as a ".308" because so much more ammo is labeled and sold as such.

many such rifles are made to shoot nato M118LR with a 175gr SMK bullet, so i'd start with federal gold medal match, or anything with that sierra match king and go from there. lots of folks make ammo with the 168gr or 175gr SMK, so you might find something that works better.
the nice thing is that such rifles also tend to shoot inexpensive 7.62x51mm M80 ball pretty well, so steel plinking and range fun can be a lot less expensive than shooting match ammo all the time.
i used to be able to get serbian ppu for ~$0.42/round, but those days are gone for now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went into the Sig Pro Shop this morning and asked the guys what the deal was with a barrel marked 7.62 NATO and advertising it as a .308 WIN. They swear up and down that even though the barrel is marked 7.62 NATO it will handle the .308 WIN without any issue. He was only guessing as to why the barrels aren't stamped .308 WIN. His guess was since they were marketed towards the Indian military they were stamped with the standard international 7.62 NATO.I also emailed Sig customer support so I will have their statement in writing.

Seems like they could easily clear it up by stamping 7.62 NATO/.308 WIN or at least put that in the owner's manual. Thanks for all the replies and good info! I'm going to fire off some .308 rounds tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts