SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I have been looking into getting my first handgun. Since I was in high school I've always heard SIG was the best. After my father started his job at the local PD, I got the chance to hold a P226R and a P229. I like the P229 because I have smaller hands. I am willing to spend any amount of money to get the handgun of my choosing, because I will keep it until the day I die. So, naturally, the confusion came when I started looking at the P229 handguns and researching them. There are so many different sub-models that I can't even begin to start picking one from the other...

I've seen all of the following listed in some manner or capacity out there in the vast data fields known as the internet -- Sig P229, Sig P229 SAS, Sig P229 Elite, Sig P229 E2, Sig P229 Enhanced Elite, Sig P229 Scorpion Elite, Sig P229 Extreme, P229 Legion Compact, ‎P229 Nitron Compact, ‎M11-A1 Compact

Could somebody clear up what the differences in these models are, so that I can narrow them down, and post the specifications, so that I can begin to chose from them? There's hardly any data out there on a few of them... They really need to make a comparison chart if they're going to be doing so many different variants!

Thanks a bunch! :)

·
Registered
20,852 Posts
The website does a pretty good job of listing the different features. All the P229's, etc…, use the same frame shape but have different finishes and internal parts. So externally the P229 Legion and P229 Enhanced Elite are the same dimensions, but the finish and grips are different. The Legion has a logo on top. Some guns have a beaver tail, some have different grips, have a SRT (short reset trigger), rail, etc…. There's really too many differences to list them all out, but the SIG website does a pretty good job.

·
P228 Sherpa
7,233 Posts
SIG has a tendency of churning out numerous variants of the same basic model, up until recently. That's why you see so many different P229s. A lot of them have been discontinued.

And, the "Compact" is the latest terminology SIG uses to refer to the P229 to differentiate it from the full size P226. Dumb move, as far as I'm concerned. After some 25 years of the P229 being on the market, they suddenly find it necessary to put the label "Compact" on the gun? :rolleyes:

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
13,752 Posts
nikkolaus, welcome to Sig Talk from the southwest corner of Indiana. The previous respondents are correct in their statements, but I would like to add, that since you state you have smaller hands, have you considered a single stack Sig, such as the P225, P225A1, or P239?
Scan this forum, and you will see many discussions regarding these models, including plenty of pictures. My avatar, is my recently acquired P239, which is a model I had checked out initially in '97, and bypassed in favor of a P225.

·
Banned
7,468 Posts
Nikkolaus. Welcome to one of the most generous sources of information regarding SIG that is around. Also probably one of the largest collections of Opinions and Egos. But they are usually polite.

I carry a swap off between a 229 SAS (no rail) in .40 or 357 SIG, and one of 2 239's also in either .40 or 357 SIG. Both pistols share the same manual of arms, and the 239 feels more concealable. Both have sufficient combat accuracy (6 inch circle every shot at 25 yds.) that I feel comfortable with them as my primary defensive weapon.

I have both a Nitron and a SAS 239. The only difference is that the 239 SAS has some rounding of the ejection port that the Nitron didn't have. The Nitron is a German Frame and I think that the trigger is actually better on it.

I don't bother with "Black", Checokte or other Finishes any more and all 3 of my carry weapons have bead blasted slide. In the dark, I find that I can see the slide faster then a "Black Bar" and that the sight contrast is easier for me to pick up when coming to alignment.
Remember these are combat weapons, and I am not waiting in Ambush and afraid of being seen. If it's out of the holster it's going BANG in 3 seconds or less. (remember what I said about being opinionated?)

Short Reset Triggers are very valuable in that finger movement is more critical on follow up then many people think. The less you have to manage and move the platform prior to launch, the greater the accuracy potential.
Short Reach Triggers are also a good thing for proper finger placement on weapon for hands with short fingers. I like them because they put the finger and trigger position in the same place as the M-19 S&W that I have had since 1968 (Gift to a underage new Marine from a solicitous uncle). The problem with those for the 239 is that they are only available on E-bay and they are usually $50.

Caliber arguments abound, and here is no better then anywhere else. We all think that the 357 SIG is too expensive, Some think the 9MM Mouse cartridge is a Good man stopper, and others think that the .40 S&W is Old School. (remember what I said about being opinionated?)

How much ammunition do you carry arguments are also extensive. Some people expose the 5 Extended Magazine theory and seem to feel that they need a trailer full of ammunition to go to the Grocery store. Others seem to think that 1 in gun plus 1 on hip is enough for any situation. (Remember what I said about being opinionated).

For the 229, LEO trade in pistols from reputable dealers are an Excellent first stop. And used SIG's with light to moderate wear are also inexpensive first guns. A Good used 229 should sell in the same retail bracket as a New Glock 22 or 23.

Phew. Remember what I said about Opinionated?

Welcome. sit around the fireplace a spell and listen and talk.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Welcome from Maryland. If you're able to rent and shoot a few variants, it will help you decide. If not, then make the rounds of local LGS's and fondle as many as you can. Ask if you can pull the trigger in DA and SA.

For smaller hands, the E2 grips will probably feel better; and the short REACH trigger might also feel better.

Just take your time and have fun. This will NOT be your last gun.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Welcome! Definitely just go check out Sig's site and start making notes about the variants and deciding what you like and don't like/want and start narrowing your choices down from there.

Being one of those around here with hands on the smaller side *cough* female *cough* :D I have found I really like the E2 grips. I have them on all my M11A1's and also on several of my 226's. It really makes your hands go "ahhhh" when you wrap them around your gun in a loving embrace.. ;)

I've also seen mention of the 239 and 225A1. I have those and also like them as well. The 224 is another one I happen to have a lot of love for.

The SRT (short reset trigger) is a must IMO, but I prefer the standard trigger. That short trigger doesn't feel right to me. Now Mr Sly loves it. Obviously it's all about personal preference.. Same with your gun.

This forum is a wealth of information and a great group of people to give you opinions and feedback to give you food for thought and ideas that you may or may not have considered.

Lord knows they are a bunch of enablers!! lol

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Welcome!

Be aware that although the slide length of the 229 is shorter than that of a full size pistol, the 229's grips are still pretty thick. If you haven't already held a 229 to know that it fits you, don't assume it's the right pistol for you because it's "compact" and you have small hands.

For that matter, you shouldn't even assume that a SIG is the right gun for you. I'd suggest taking your time with this decision. Hold, dry-fire, borrow, and rent as many different pistols as you can before you decide which one meets your needs and fits you best. There are a lot of great ones out there!

Reactions: meteorman69

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Welcome aboard, here is my suggestion, hit a well stocked gun store or two in your area. Touch, feel, ask if you can dry fire the Sig's both DA and SA. Then when you have decided what Sig fits your hands, and that you want. You look on-line and buy your Sig on-line. Shop and compare many web sites to get your best price, then buy on-line. You should save at least $100 buying your Sig on-line, use the saved money to buy ammo to break in the new Sig. Don't be afraid if you run across a Sig CPO, they are hard to find, but a great value normally $540-$580 price range. You will have to Google up Sig CPO, as I don't have the time to explain them. Good luck.;)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Understanding the subtle differences within the various Sig models is a description that FAR exceeds the scope of one post. In addition, Sig is bad (good?) about mixing things up and offering MANY different models within a particular category and even making as few as 25-50 of some models for very specific users or departments. Many times you will see a model listed as "229 XYZ RX..." and that model will create much discussion with 1/2 the people claiming they do not exist, one guy claiming he has 20 of them, and everyone else confused. Even calls to Sig do not frequently end this confusion. The best advice I can give you is to read the various threads on this site, pick out who you think are the blow hards and who can be trusted, and read, read, read. (Blow hards do not last very long on this particular site, as most commenting here are very reasonable and knowledgeable and run them off.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome aboard, here is my suggestion, hit a well stocked gun store or two in your area. Touch, feel, ask if you can dry fire the Sig's both DA and SA. Then when you have decided what Sig fits your hands, and that you want. You look on-line and buy your Sig on-line. Shop and compare many web sites to get your best price, then buy on-line. You should save at least $100 buying your Sig on-line, use the saved money to buy ammo to break in the new Sig. Don't be afraid if you run across a Sig CPO, they are hard to find, but a great value normally $540-$580 price range. You will have to Google up Sig CPO, as I don't have the time to explain them. Good luck.;)
My comment is this, one day you won't find this well stocked gun store in business anymore to try different models. They have to make a living and if you use them as a source you need to support them. Sort of like when I buy a new race car helmet or race suit that I need to fit correctly I go to the store and find one that is comfortable. I then purchase it from them instead of shopping the interwebz for a lower price.

Now going to a range and renting a range gun is a different animal.

Peter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.