SIG Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I joined this site about 3 days ago but have been lurking for a while. I've always been very pro gun and my wife has been on the fence to against it so we never had a gun in the house. A couple of months ago someone broke into our place (no one was home) and robbed us of some items and her spare car keys. I got a club the next day and you could tell they tried to break it and we're in her car the night after they got her keys. I've had her entire car rekeyed to eliminate the threat but it creeps her (and me) out so much to see and smell indications that someone was in your wife's car at night that she changed her mind and gave me the green light to get a gun. We decided on the S&W governor. But then I got interested in sig (hence why I am here). I eventually bought a p226 mk25 and have it hidden in a safe until I can convince her that we need more than one gun. I just got my concealed carry license and originally had never planned on actually carrying but now I'm rethinking and shopping for a sig compact to carry but not until I improve my shooting as I won't carry unless I'm a consistenly accurate shooter. Posted a pic (at least I hope I did) I'm not a terrible shot but I'm also all over the place, hence the need to get much better before concealed carrying. image.jpg image.jpg

Finally to my question: anyone else have any guns that their wives or girlfriends don't know about? I'm basically trying to justify a guilt conscience. Also does anyone carry without letting their significant other know?

Feel free to bash me if you think I'm an idiot, I just need a second opinion./

Thanks!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Bro, your a grown *** man! If you feel a need to have a gun in the house or to carry then do it! A man's responsibility is to protect his family.
This is the damn truth. I respect my lady's wishes... but im not leaving my protection up to a hammer or a baseball bat. You may never have to use it... and that is a good thing. But peace of mind having it makes the juice worth the squeeze if you know what i mean

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I agree with Sigga. The Bill of Rights says you have the right to keep & bear arms. Plural. That supersedes your wife. There's no reason to be afraid of her. If that is enough for her to split up with you over, maybe she just ain't the one for you. No offense intended. A man arming himself to protect his family is honorable, not shameful. In addition to that, it's almost always better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Keep practicing & those groups will tighten up & get this guilty conscience crap out of your head brother :USA:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My wife was uneasy around guns because she never was around them. To her credit, she said she would like to at least learn about them since I have them in the house. I took her to an intro to handguns course at the local gun club. Class was designed for someone who never touched a gun. 1.5 hours class room instruction and 1.5 hours on the range. She shot 13 different weapons (5 rounds each). Starting from 22's and working up to .45's. A mix of pistols and revolvers. The first one she shot she was very nervous and a little shaky. By the third one she had settled down and had a big smile on her face. Within a week we added a Glock 19 Gen4 to the collection that is hers. Now going to the range is something we do together. She is a pretty good shot and getting better.

So, it took time but she eventually came around and the class really helped. I took it with her because it was a Groupon of $99 for two people. I figured I'd at least get to shoot 13 guns and make her feel a little at ease with me being there.

~Rob

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
The wife came from a non-gun family. Now she expects me to be carrying any time we leave the house and either carrying or one next to me when in the house. Read the crime stories to her out of the paper, especially home invasions. I would suggest a training class to increase your proficiency and your confidence.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
OH, She Knows (somethings up)

The challenges that you're experiencing with shooting accuracy are quite likely the direct result of not being able to free your mind; come clean with the Mrs. and your shot groups will tighten (because your sphincter will loosen).

There are legitimate reasons for owning more than one screw driver, wrench, gun... Giver her the respect of trusting her to see the logic.

This from a guy married for forty-three years...to the same woman.

·
Premium Member
16,972 Posts
Bro, your a grown *** man! If you feel a need to have a gun in the house or to carry then do it! A man's responsibility is to protect his family.
Probably one of the most concise, direct and accurate statements I can recall seeing on this forum.

ADDED: As a side note - I'm the one that finally finds out about another gun - or more ammo after the fact. Mind you, certainly not a problem. The point is, personal protection takes on different "flavors" for us all. We should encourage our spouses to research and better understand why it's so important, and the true need for being open about what we feel we need to protect ourselves - and our families.

Tell your wife.

·
Premium Member
8,907 Posts
Your relationship with your wife and what you both actually communicate about is only something that can be managed between you both. My only concern is that there is a weapon hidden in an area that she may be rummaging around in. Let a friend or family member keep it until you can work it out together. It is going to do you very little good anyway if it is kept locked up in a safe.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wife was brought up being taught that guns are only for nut job paranoids with underground paramilitary quasi-legal agendas. I know how you feel.

I've gotten her from there to consistently carrying mace and a taser. Firearms and carrying one outside the house will take more time. (Already taken well over 4 years.) She does like the idea of one for her at the house.

Always respect your wife, but protecting your family is up to you. And if you carry concealed well, it's always a surprise when you disarm. The first few times my wife saw me take my P229 out after coming home together, she seemed genuinely shocked that I had a gun on me the whole day, and it never spontaneously just went off, like all guns do according to her upbringing.

The process takes time, grasshopper.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
You have to balance being protector of your wife with being honest, and protecting your marriage integrity. One does not come before the other, and I would counsel that the marriage integrity comes first.
You already feel guilty- a good indicator that you know you have crossed a line. You can only shoot one gun at a time- you are now riding the fence of justification for protection versus collecting because of passion/enjoyment. You have now entered the justification zone.
Stop where you are. You have enough to protect your family. Give your wife time to warm to guns, and to support your reasoning for having them. Then, let her be part of the process in purchasing others.
If you put justification of guns- and I do mean plural- above marriage integrity, you are in the wrong, not her.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My wife grew up without guns in her family, now we have 6. Yes, I bought 2 without her knowledge. She knows about them now and all is well in our household. Now, we are looking for #7 for her to carry when she gets her carry permit. I agree with advice before mine, stop buying now, come clean, get her involved, and maybe your gun family will grow in the future, and if not, you already have an awesome Sig. Good luck and keep us posted...

·
Registered
431 Posts
My wife recently changed her tune a little as well. I have multiple guns, and she knows about them. I've taken her to the range and she feels they just aren't her thing. She's never really aware that I'm carrying unless she actually sees me putting it on. She always preferred to remain blissfully uninformed. Recently a friend of hers was robbed at gun point at work, and he works a few minutes from where we live. When she told me about it, I asked "aren't you glad I've been arming the apartment now" to which she replied she was. So now she may or may not be fully on board, but she's no longer pushing back either. ;)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ha! You're dreaming. Either you're not married, or you're brand new to marriage.

Nothing happens in a married household without the expressed consent of the wife.

Remember: a happy wife means a happy life.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The governor and the MK25 may be guns YOU can shoot but what about your wife?
Your break in was tragic but if your wife were ever have to use one of your guns to defend her life and cannot use them, that would also be tragic.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.