SIG Talk banner

Conditioning

1402 Views 14 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Tacops fan
Any of you guys working out/exercising a specific routine for conditioning to do competitive shooting?

I did a shotgun qualifier course for a "3 gun" type tournament last year and was exhausted by end of day, and Im in generally pretty good shape.

Would love to particularly improve on walk/run and shoot, or even reacquiring target after getting to cover/concealment faster.

Overall Im looking to get into IDPA or similar this summer, looking for training advice for the physical fitness portion.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5,817 Posts
Not since back surgery a few weeks ago, and of course when it was a more target rich environment before the elections.

Back then, used to be able to run around the coffee table half a dozen times for warm up, draw, and put a round or two through HRC on TV . . . expensive, but heaping with entertainment value.:rolleyes:

At 72 such strenuous physical exertion needs to be moderated and only expended in small doses and with significant restraint. "3-Gun"?? I thought that was the never exceed number one should ever carry from the safe at one time.

· Registered
25 Posts
Shotgun? Get a OSOE rig and go through 50 rd stages.

To keep a shorty running requires conditioning indeed. First time I did it my finger dexterity just loading was drastically affected. It takes constant manipulation of each round. Work on your leaving one in the chamber and feeding drills.

If you get a chance watch magpul dynamic shotgun. It gave some good tips on keepin a snotty running.

OSOE micro rig:

https://www.originalsoegear.com/collections/micro-rigs/products/12ga-micro-rig

Dynamic Shotgun:

· Registered
3,697 Posts
Work out at home, and use your recovery periods betweens sets/intervals to practice dry fire.

Reactions: phlyers13

· Banned
5,101 Posts
Not for competitive shooting, but yes, I do workout and endeavor to stay in top physical conditioning for defensive purposes. I have a Bowflex Max Trainer that I use, and I run along with incorporating push ups, sit ups, pull ups, as well as a weight regimen. As a matter of fact, I am currently reading about ways to increase my pull up strength, but the goal is to be able to do multiple exercises in succession b/c it's not enough to build core strength alone. You never know if you're going to have to fight your way to your gun in an ambush, and one thing I can tell you from my short stint as a wrestler in HS is that you can be in top physical conditioning and hardly be able to crawl off the mat after 6 minutes.

· 🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Exercise is exercise, any is good

Conditioning is at least 30 min a day continuous activity which elivates your pulse.

Reactions: GCBHM

· Registered
931 Posts
I run. Not fast or that long anymore but I've been doing it for over 30 years. Certainly not specific to help with competitive shooting but it sure helps with the hot, humid Florida summers when endurance is essential as some matches drag on for over 5 hours.

· Registered
996 Posts
I walk 3 to 4 miles every morning at a brisk pace. I live in the mountains and it's pretty much all up or down hill so a good workout. The knees won't take running any more. Other things you can do are take stairs instead of the elevator, walk or bike instead of drive, and anything else you can do the hard way. You can stay in pretty decent shape living like this.

Couple of other things.. hold your fists up in front of your face and throw punches while walking or running, great for the shoulder muscles! Use a push mower. I do some of my grass trimming with hand shears, great for the grip. I see you're in Detroit. Go exercise down on 8 mile, that should be an intense workout!

Reactions: GCBHM

· Registered
6,606 Posts
I walk between 1 and 3 miles per day, plus I do laps in my pool, nonstop, for 3/8 mile per day. It takes around 35 minutes as I'm not trying to be a competitive swimmer, plus pulling too hard while swimming is a good way to damage your rotor cuff.

American Heart Association Recommendations for Physical Activity in Adults

AHA Recommendation

For Overall Cardiovascular Health:
•At least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least 5 days per week for a total of 150

OR
•At least 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least 3 days per week for a total of 75 minutes; or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity

AND
•Moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity at least 2 days per week for additional health benefits.

For Lowering Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
•An average 40 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity 3 or 4 times per week

· Registered
3,697 Posts
If you are looking for an actual workout program, I'd recommend the Spartan Workout of the Day (WOD).

The WOD concept is similar to Crossfit's, but IMO Spartan is safer, focuses more comprehensively on all aspects of athleticism, requires less specialized equipment, and depends less on technical movements where form is paramount (such as Olympic lifts).

Go to spartan.com and navigate to the WOD via the "training" tab (you can also sign up to have them emailed to you).

Also, boxing, MMA, Muay Thai, or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu are all excellent routes to fitness, and will also offer other obvious benefits to those interested in self-defense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.