SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my carry license and am trying to figure out a comfortable way to carry day to day, and especially how to be comfortable and accessible while driving.

Just wondering what other 229 owners do.

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,276 Posts
In the truck I usually reholster between the seats.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I use one of these in the door drink slot of my car (it has a drink slot that this fits perfectly down in.)

Cup Holster | eBay

Yes, I know it is not for everyone. Yes, I know some disagree with this method. Yes, it is very stable. No, my weapon will not come out in all but a rollover accident. No, I am not sure if it would come out in a rollover, I have never tested it. Yes, I have to unholster my weapon when I sit down in the car and place it in the cup holster. Yes it is legal in Tennessee (where I live) if it is visible--it is actually quite well hidden with me in there with it. Yes, it COULD be a slight problem if a law enforcement officer asked me to get out of my car and saw it--I would carefully inform him/her.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
I hide the gun in the map pocket behind passenger seat or use a cross-draw holster on my left hip.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When carrying the P229 I have it at 4:00 with the grip about half inch above the waistline, so it sits a little low. I have a 20* or more cant to it. When I get in the truck for a long ride (1hr or more) I will remove the holster and gun and put it in the door kind of like ma6907. I have been thinking about bolting a holster near the steering column but not sure since I don't plan on keeping the truck too much longer.

If your body shape works for it, you can try appendix carry.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I carry like Jeeper808/Adam Painchaud.

You can also put the pistol in a Remora or Sticky and wedge it between the seat and center console.

In VA, where I live, it is also legal to have a loaded firearm on the seat next to you without a permit (it's considered a form of open carry). If that's legal where you live, you could do that with a Remora or Sticky to protect the trigger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I carry my P229 at about 4 o'clock in a TTgunleather IWB mikes special that gives extra forward cant. I position my seat to allow me to draw with the following method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek50iqNOfus

This is great, thanks for posting.

Re: putting the gun in a car mounted holster, that's not legal here in Oregon if there's a passenger in the car with me.

Next question would be: what holster do you find comfortable to wear with a 4 o'clock carry while seated in the car? (Besides Jeeper, who already mentioned which holster)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Most of the time I carry IWB 3:30/4:00 in one of the holsters I make. I also often carry a shield 9mm as a back up gun in a ankle carry. I find it very easy and quick to go for my ankle carry while sitting down. The method shown in the video above works well too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Horseshoe Leather shoulder holster.

As I am right-handed, this method puts the pistol in play exactly in the area from which it is most likely for a car-jacker to approach. In fact, if you draw inside the car, you almost have to point out the driver-side window whether you want to or not.

As a secondary reason, you can go to the bathroom without a two-pound chunk of metal on your belt. Unholstering in a toilet stall seems awkward to me.

And as an observation, rather than a reason, reality cop shows such as The First 48 have nothing to do with guns (except as the aftermath of a criminal act), but it is clear that shoulder holsters are a primary choice of duty officers that have the option.

I sometimes have to drive 1,000 miles in a day through the Midwest, and I have never yet felt muscle fatigue related to shoulder carry.

I have also never had to test my theories in real life, and the pistol has only ever been drawn to fire at the range, where shoulder holsters are not allowed.

Reactions: Maccabee

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This is great, thanks for posting.

Re: putting the gun in a car mounted holster, that's not legal here in Oregon if there's a passenger in the car with me.

Next question would be: what holster do you find comfortable to wear with a 4 o'clock carry while seated in the car? (Besides Jeeper, who already mentioned which holster)

I like Comp-Tac MTAC and recently the Black Arch Protos-M. I have heard a lot of good things about Milt Sparks VM2 but never tried one. It is next on the list of things to acquire.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
29 years of concealed carry and never forund a reason to remove my handgun while in a vehicle other than when not allowed to carry in a building and have to lock it up .

I conceal a p320c at 3:15 position in a compact neutral . No issues with seat belts just raise the side my cover shirt over my pistol and tuck behind the body guard . Elbow covers the pistol from any right side lookers . Drawing the pistol is not an issue ether and the p229 only .20 taller so see no problems doing the same with it .

·
Premium Member
16,898 Posts
I carry my P229 at about 4 o'clock in a TTgunleather IWB mikes special reinforced that gives extra forward cant. I position my seat to allow me to draw with the following method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek50iqNOfus
In July 2007, a handful of us took several classes from Adam. All experienced firearms types - all advanced classes. Gun handling/shooting from his somewhat small rental vehicle [I'm sure the rental company endorsed our use of the vehicle] was part of one of the blocks.

I recommend exactly what he recommends - dry practice before you try it hot. Instrument clusters are expensive.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I carry AIWB. I want my gun on me if at all possible for a couple reasons. One, if you're in an accident or have a sudden, hard stop, the gun is more likely to stay put. Also, it is easier to reach at the 12 or 1 than any other position, and it is how I typically carry, so I don't have to remember to grab for my gun somewhere else. That could be a critical element when your body alarm response is forced to kick in.

Reactions: Trave1ingEast

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Someone once told me that if you carry a gun enough you will find you have more invested in holsters than the gun you carry. I am not there yet, but I am close!

I currently have about 8 holsters for my P320. Many of these will carry either my P229c or my P227. The only exceptions are the full Kydex holsters that are molded back and front for the P320.

While I tend to carry the P320, which I will tell you is much more comfortable than any of my full metal guns, I do carry the others. For me, especially on the full metal guns the holsters that work best are the ones like the CrossBreed Supertuck or the Alienware that have two hooks that distribute the weight better.

Seated in my truck, at the 4:00 position they are comfortable enough as these holsters put the gun very close to the body and are canted. However, that said, my preference for most days is a small simple Kydex holster (pick your manufacture - the ones that are small and have a single clip), I pull it off and put it in the console between me and my passenger (typically my wife) where either of us can get to it in a pinch.

These holsters (full Kydex with a simple clip) are easy to get on and off (unlike my leather backed holsters) and provide the greatest flexibility when I am in and out of the vehicle a lot. These are all IWB, but I use an OWB spare magazine holder.

Reactions: Maccabee

·
Registered
248 Posts
I carry AIWB. I want my gun on me if at all possible for a couple reasons. One, if you're in an accident or have a sudden, hard stop, the gun is more likely to stay put. Also, it is easier to reach at the 12 or 1 than any other position, and it is how I typically carry, so I don't have to remember to grab for my gun somewhere else. That could be a critical element when your body alarm response is forced to kick in.
Ditto

·
Premium Member
4,957 Posts
When I Carry my 229, it's always in a Bianchi 100 Professional in my back, so it isn't a problem driving, just uncomfortable. On the other hand it makes me sit up straighter so it helps my posture. I've taken 500+ mile road trips like that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.