SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of pure curiosities sake, id be interested in hearing experiences concerning concealed carrying and dating, and how you handled it. I think this is a relevant real world topic and something I’ve never really heard anything about (advise wise.)

Let me start by saying, let’s all be adult here, and handle this topic academically (we all know there are many jokes that could be made with a topic such as this, but let’s avoid those and consider the topic seriously, someone could really find themselves in a situation in the dating world and something said here could be the difference between a good and bad experience/outcome)

So let’s begin by understanding that when your dating and at the end of the night a date sometimes ends in the bedroom… if your a practiced concealed carrier, you carry unnoticed and undetected. But what happens when it’s inevitable that due to circumstances that it’s most likely the woman your with is going to notice, feel and or see your CCW at some point and she reacts unfavorably to it… how should you, or how have you handled this situation in the past? I was asked this question and I really didn’t have a good answer really… I understand that situations vary,…. Where does this hypothetical situation happen? A hotel, your place, her place e.t.c. As a responsible prepaid citizen that carries concealed. What is the appropriate way to handle this situation? Do you inform the woman before hand that you carry concealed or do you not? Do you leave your CCW in the truck..? But what if a situation presents itself that you really need your CCW and it’s not on you, it’s in the truck, (just to name a few possible options)

how does a modern day gentleman and prepared citizen balance these two worlds. Concealed carrying and dating?

Let’s hear your thoughts!

·
🎖USA Veteran
4,558 Posts
I've dated many women and I really didn't worry about them being concerned or negative about me being armed. If they had an issue with it then it's their issue not mine. If it's about their feelings, then they can go to Walmart or some other store that is open 24hrs and buy a teddy bear. I try and establish early that I'm a man, and as a man I don't make excuses of who, what, and how I am. Confidence and competence go a long way. Thats not being disrespectful to them or viewing them as less than. But come on, they do make testosterone pills if that is your biggest concern in dating.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Been a long time since dating but .. were I still dating I probably would not date anyone I thought I would have to explain my CCW to.

I am a bit more aged and crotchity but .. at this point in life I aint hiding nothin. if I didnt think she would already be cool with it .. no matter how hot she is .. I probably wouldnt get along with her anyway so I would take a pass and keep up the search. Plenty hotties that arent snowflakes. My wife was one.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Been married almost 20yrs now and with her for 22. We dated for a few weeks when we met. I carried and never said anything about it. It was a few weeks into things we hugged and she felt it. I told her. Sue was surprised but then understanding and kinda relieved to know I was able to protect her and I if need be. First time she came to my place and saw my safe there was no doubt I was a gunnut. She still really doesn’t get into them but is fine. I didn’t see the need to startle her right off the bat. Women these days can take it the wrong way before getting to know you.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I couldn't be involved with a woman that wasn't comfortable around guns. They don't have to have my passion for them but there will be a lot of guns around so get used to it. I have no interest in coddling someone that gets freaked out over an inanimate object. Don't like guns? Aren't comfortable around guns? No problem. Bye. OTOH, if they're just unfamiliar and express an interest in learning more about guns I'll be glad to teach/educate them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My wife has been shooting since she was a child, so it was never an issue. Hypothetically, I wouldn't end up in the bedroom with a woman before I had "the talk" explaining to her my use of firearms.

·
🎖USA Veteran
4,558 Posts
I think OP should be more concerned about his gun not working when dating vs, the weapon on the nightstand. :banghead:. Dear Ann Landers or Dr. Ruth:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've dated many women and I really didn't worry about them being concerned or negative about me being armed. If they had an issue with it then it's their issue not mine. If it's about their feelings, then they can go to Walmart or some other store that is open 24hrs and buy a teddy bear. I try and establish early that I'm a man, and as a man I don't make excuses of who, what, and how I am. Confidence and competence go a long way. Thats not being disrespectful to them or viewing them as less than. But come on, they do make testosterone pills if that is your biggest concern in dating.
Really wasn’t a question for me, just a general question to start a relevant real world situation that someone is going to encounter… and maybe someone might hear some actual decent advise… but if someone reading this doesn’t know there are T-pills at least they know now ********.

·
🎖USA Veteran
4,558 Posts
Really wasn’t a question for me, just a general question to start a relevant real world situation that someone is going to encounter… and maybe someone might hear some actual decent advise… but if someone reading this doesn’t know there are T-pills at least they know now ****.
I don't think the Alphas on this forum clutch their pearls worrying about something as insignificant. Actually, yours is the first time it's ever been broached. That's how much of a concern it is here. We are here about weapons, their function, how to improve them. Thoughts on certain weapons. Socio-Psycho stuff is left to FB or one of the other useless sites.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My assumption is this isn't a common issue. If I were to enter into the dating world again I'd be sure to first have some conversations with a woman about religion, politics, morals, values and belief systems. I wouldn't want to waste my time with someone that I would constantly clash with on certain issues and I'm sure firearms would be included in one of those topics. By the time both parties are getting naked it should already be worked out. You just need to politely ask her where the best place for your Glock is lol.

·
🎖USA Veteran
4,558 Posts
My assumption is this isn't a common issue. If I were to enter into the dating world again I'd be sure to first have some conversations with a woman about religion, politics, morals, values and belief systems. I wouldn't want to waste my time with someone that I would constantly clash with on certain issues and I'm sure firearms would be included in one of those topics. By the time both parties are getting naked it should already be worked out. You just need to politely ask her where the best place for your Glock is lol.
"where the best place for your Glock is" :oops:

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I think it’s a reasonable question and there ain’t much else to discuss so why not?
In todays world I just wouldn’t come right out and spill the beans. You never know. Maybe for other reasons there’s not a second date. Hence there would be no reason to share it on the first. I also think a woman who may like you and consider you second date material could be turned off by you saying ‘you should know I carry a gun.’ A woman fresh into your life may start thinking kidnap, murder, what her dad told her and all kinds of other crazy stuff. Play it by ear and when it’s time it’ll be time. Like I said we were about three weeks into dating when the touchy feely hugs and kisses goodbye started. She was first to feel the pistol on my hip before I said anything about it. When she did I knew it and simply told her in Spanish not to worry. Coming from cuba she was not at used to being around guns. Now she says all the time she’s glad she married me as the communistas can never take her away like they do where she grew up.

·
🎖USAF Retired
709 Posts
Why not just offer to take her to the shooting range as one of your first dates? Find out quickly if she's into the aroma of gunpowder or not. If you're hoping for that bedroom scenario on a first date or before you get around to discussing guns then maybe you're rushing things and ya just gotta accept whatever her reaction might be.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Sometimes it goes the other way. Before I met my wife I dated a girl whose mother was a competent shot with a Winchester 1894. I had only shot a Remington .22. That wouldn’t do, so her mother taught me to shoot a - as she put it - man’s rifle.

Were I “dating” today I wouldn’t be undressing with a woman who did not understand and encourage CCW. That fact would have come out in the “getting to know you” phase. Outright asking if she shoots is one way to open the topic.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
If there are any women left available that aren't lined up to meet @paularmola (no offense Paul, but post #3...damn... 😂), it wouldn't hurt to consider things from her perspective.

That being said, as @sagerat noted, this topic might be one you bring up in conversation, early in the relationship.

Considering that many individuals are ignorant of firearms and only know what they see on the news or TV, their reaction might be off-putting when they see one, quite possibly for the first time.

Being respectful to her, I would definitely bring up the subject early and then you'll know what she thinks. If she's surprised and not well informed on firearms, this will be your opportunity to educate.

Or she may react harshly, slap your face and say "You're just like another guy I dated. His name was Paul." :hysterical:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts