SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

So, the ND governor signed a constitutional carry law today that takes effect August 1. I promised the wifey that I'd get her a new P238 or P938 (she saw them and fell in love with them) If the governor did what we wanted him to do. So, sweet. I gotta buy the wifey a new gun. :)

Wifey doesn't like IWB or OWB holsters. She tends to wear tight/form fitting clothes that makes either option unfeasible, so looking for something else. What are some good options for a purse or satchel type concealed carry solution?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

Reactions: Blu and SlySleuth

·
Registered
507 Posts
IMO if you have kids or around kids off body carry is not a good idea, its not really all that great idea anyways.

They make purses with holsters in them or maybe an ankle holster? Or a compromise somewhere.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No kids. One big 95lb. Weimaraner, though. Was asking about purses or satchels designed for carry. Was hoping someone around here had a lady who carries in a similar fashion that might be able to provide useful feedback. I'm sorta lacking in purse/satchel carry experience. LOL

Reactions: halodub and Blu

·
🎖USAF Veteran
3,158 Posts
Look at https://guntotenmamas.com.
I ignore those who say don't ever carry off body and have a carryall bag from those folks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
No kids. One big 95lb. Weimaraner, though. Was asking about purses or satchels designed for carry. Was hoping someone around here had a lady who carries in a similar fashion that might be able to provide useful feedback. I'm sorta lacking in purse/satchel carry experience. LOL

I am also lacking in the purse dept,the wife made a compromise to carry her shield 9mm in an own that doesn't go below the belt line. Hope you find something that works

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Better rent those little pistol before you run out and buy your wife any thing . To many men think they know what a wife will like . Now tell YOUR wife to go to some site for women the carry and find what SHE likes . Just like with men hot all holster or handguns cover all other needs .

Between my wife and two daughters there is NOTHING in common between them for handgun brands or holsters . None of the ladys around our house like the wanta be mini 1911's . Real1911's in the Ultra / defender size , yes and more normal striker fired minis and compact 9mmm . Now let your wife try some and decide all on her own . Maybe another seasoned female shooter ion your area or a instructor would be better help .

Sites for the wife to check out .

Well Armed Women

Gun Goddess

Corned Cat

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Hi, all.

So, the ND governor signed a constitutional carry law today that takes effect August 1. I promised the wifey that I'd get her a new P238 or P938 (she saw them and fell in love with them) If the governor did what we wanted him to do. So, sweet. I gotta buy the wifey a new gun. :)

Wifey doesn't like IWB or OWB holsters. She tends to wear tight/form fitting clothes that makes either option unfeasible, so looking for something else. What are some good options for a purse or satchel type concealed carry solution?

Cheers,

Greg

Good morning, Greg! Sure hate it that you have to buy another gun. What is the world coming to? ;)

My wife, like yours, likes to wear fitting clothes, so any type of hip-holster is out. I bought her a Shield 9 four years ago, and I fitted it in a BladeTech Ambi Klipt IWB holster which she carries in her purse or backpack. I like this holster b/c it is fairly sturdy, it covers the gun nearly to the end of the slide on both sides, and it seats the gun with a positive click holding it securely, and it is sleek with the clip flush with the holster walls all of which makes it less likely to snag. And, like the name says, it is ambidextrous. She isn't a tacticool-type like me, so she doesn't feel the inherent need to have her pistol at arms length 24/7. She opts to exercise sound judgment avoiding peril, and she rests assured she has it and can get to it pretty quickly in the very unlikely event she is attacked.

She does, however, retrieve it and walks with it in hand in the rare situation that she may feel alarmed (funny little feelings when walking to the car in secluded areas at night, due to work, etc.). Of course, I've taught her how to shoot accurately, and we've discussed possibilities and how difficult it could be to get a gun from a purse in the moment, per se, but the biggest thing is knowing how to exercise judgment before you find yourself in a "situation". I say all this b/c there is a school of thought out there that a woman should never carry a gun in a purse/bag. I say poppycock! A gun in a bag is better than no gun at all! I'm sure you agree! :cool:

As mentioned, there are some really good options for concealment bags of all types, but she may want to consider these new bra-holsters. There are several types to suit, and I think the 238/938 is small enough; however, I would suggest you let her handle one (if you have not already) along with a few other types of similar size just so she can see how she actually likes it. My wife thought she would prefer the G26, but after shooting it she decided she didn't like it, which is why we ended up with the Shield. At any rate, here is a link with some deep concealment options for her:

Top 5 Best Bra Holsters for Guns 2016: Conceal Carry Bra for Women - HandGun Podcast

Reactions: Blu and ptrthgr8

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
My wife uses the leather purse that is sold on the NRA site. It is lockable. She also uses one of those pouches that go around the waist. Can also carry wallet etc. My wife carries a Sig p320 sub compact in these. If your wife is not going to carry on the body then a smaller gun is not necessary. The larger gun (9mm) is also easier to learn on. Now if she just likes the smaller gun then that's the one for her. We own smaller pocket type guns, my wife wants to carry the gun she likes the 320 sc. she also carries an extra mag.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Excellent tactic. Will recommend to my purse carry neighbor.
I think everything is about personal situational awareness. Knowing your surroundings, being alert, and employing suitable tactics for the situation can mean the difference btwn life and death. If you get "that feeling" or you sense that something just doesn't feel comfortable then take that next step to reduce your reaction time.

One case in which my wife did this was when she was leaving work around 8pm. As she exited the building en route to her vehicle she noticed a guy sort of lurking about. He didn't apprear to be going to any particular destination, but just sort of wandering around, maybe like he was looking for something...a target of opportunity? She didn't know, but what she did know is that it wasn't normal and she didn't feel quite right, so she pulled her pistol, took it out of the holster and walked with it by her side keeping a keen eye on him while maintaining awareness of her surroundings (as not to be taken by surprise from an ambush set up).

As she got closer to her vehicle he walked to a vehicle across the lot, and she got in her car, reholstered her gun and quickly drove away. That is another thing...when you feel that way, don't tary. Leave as soon as you can and put distance btwn you and the perceived threat. Don't put yourself in the position of having to deal with it face to face. Your odds of survival without injury increase with every inch in the opposite direction. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the great suggestions and ideas, folks!

If SIGs were as inexpensive as Hi-Points, I would likely have no issue buying her a new SIG based solely upon her reaction to the gun's aesthetics. Since that's not the case at all, we certainly are planning to hit up a local range that has a number of different smaller pistols (P238, P239, P938, P30SK, etc.) to see how she likes the feel of them while shooting. No sense dropping that sort of coin on a pistol if it's likely to just end up as a paper weight. :)

As for the mini-1911 deal, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of a SA-only pistol as her only primary carry option. She's not new to guns (she's been around me for over 16 years now) and she's spent more time than most ladies I know behind a trigger of psitols and rifles (and a few machine guns). But she's never carried. I personally don't like SA-only pistols for carry and almost always carry a DA/SA of some sort (USP Compact, P229, etc.), with the only exception being my G43 and P320 (when I still carried the P320). I've carried a SA-only in the past (my first carry gun was a fullsized 1911A1), but I've simply come to not like the Condition options allowed by such a pistol. I really don't like the idea of her carry gun having a SA trigger on a loaded chamber and I like the idea of her carrying without one in the chamber even less.

If she likes the feel/characteristics of the P238/P938 at the rental range, fine. But we'll also be checking out some DA/SA carry options (good suggestion earlier to look at larger guns, too, if she's not planning to carry on the body). I'm a sucker when it comes to buying guns, so maybe she ends up with a P238/P938 so she can have her very own SIG and we end up buying a DA/SA for her primary carry option. More guns are best guns! :)

Thanks again, all!

~ Greg ~

Reactions: Blu

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
As for the mini-1911 deal, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of a SA-only pistol as her only primary carry option. She's not new to guns (she's been around me for over 16 years now) and she's spent more time than most ladies I know behind a trigger of psitols and rifles (and a few machine guns). But she's never carried. I personally don't like SA-only pistols for carry and almost always carry a DA/SA of some sort (USP Compact, P229, etc.), with the only exception being my G43 and P320 (when I still carried the P320).

I tend to agree with you here. In fact, I emphatically agree. The SAO type pistol is completely safe in the hands of someone who has been trained on it, and who is accustomed to it, but I do not recommend it for someone who has never carried a gun before. I had shot lots of guns before I started carrying, but carrying a gun is a whole other ball of wax, so again, I think yours is a wise choice.

If she likes the feel/characteristics of the P238/P938 at the rental range, fine. But we'll also be checking out some DA/SA carry options (good suggestion earlier to look at larger guns, too, if she's not planning to carry on the body).
My wife decided to go with the Shield, and although it is a subcompact SS9, it is a little large to be considered a pocket gun. It shoots very much like a larger gun, and she feels perfectly fine with it, but she shot the G17, G26, and the M&P45 5" before making up her mind. Personally, I think the Shield 9 is the best CCW on the market for the money, but it was all up to her. There are lots of fantastic options for her to try, but I recommend also trying a compact striker fire or DA/SA gun. I say compact, like a Glock 19, P320C or the PX4 Storm Compact, not sub-compact like the G26 or XDs.

The Shield is a fine choice, as is the G43, for a SS striker fire gun, but don't discount the M&P compact or the FN compact. I believe both of these hold 12+1. They are slightly larger than the G26 size sub compact guns, but still offer a lot in a smaller package. The Beretta PX4 Storm compact is a nice choice for a DS DA/SA gun as it is light weight and holds 15+1, and the rotating barrel offers a reduced recoil feature. Of course there are other great options, but I just thought I'd offer those for your consideration.
:cool:

Reactions: ptrthgr8 and Blu

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I definitely recommend https://guntotenmamas.com

However, I also recommend it be one that can be carried crossbody and practice drawing from it. When I am purse carrying I situate my zippers and the holster (it is adjustable) to where my hand can get it and out quickest. If I am alone there are times where I have the zippers opened just enough to draw from and am casually walking with my hand resting just inside the compartment.

Here is the one I have https://guntotenmamas.com/collectio...r-bags/products/tooled-american-cowhide-black
(In black) I can fit several of my guns in it. My 225-A1, 239, M11-A1, to name a few.
Here is a pic with my M11-A1. I keep it hanging on the back of my door with it in it actually so that anytime I am wearing something that I can't carry on body, I can just grab my purse and go.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

However, I also recommend it be one that can be carried crossbody and practice drawing from it. When I am purse carrying I situate my zippers and the holster (it is adjustable) to where my hand can get it and out quickest. If I am alone there are times where I have the zippers opened just enough to draw from and am casually walking with my hand resting just inside the compartment.

Here is the one I have https://guntotenmamas.com/collectio...r-bags/products/tooled-american-cowhide-black
(In black) I can fit several of my guns in it. My 225-A1, 239, M11-A1, to name a few.
Here is a pic with my M11-A1. I keep it hanging on the back of my door with it in it actually so that anytime I am wearing something that I can't carry on body, I can just grab my purse and go.

Sweet. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to share this with my wifey.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,611 Posts

I second GTM.

Also check out The Well Armed Woman which carried GTM and more.

Reactions: SlySleuth and Blu

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi, all.

Cheers,

Greg

you might have her look on YouTube .. there is a younger woman who has a channel that wears tighter fitting clothing .. my daughter has looked at how she carries for ideals !!

her youtube name is faliaphotography I'm sure there are probably others if she would look to give her idea's .. its easier then she thinks ..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.