SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an excellent article to read if you carry a gun. Even if you choose not to carry it would serve you well just in the interest of self preservation. There are a lot of elements that go into self defense, but probably the most important is your level of awareness.

Awareness of your surroundings, your personal readiness in terms of physical conditioning, firearms training and skill level, awareness of the gun you carry, etc. It is called “situational awareness” and it is often what will keep you out of trouble altogether, and the best fight is the one you never got into.

Never try to be the hero! You have no obligation to save anyone, but you are obligated to get home to your loved ones. You may find yourself in the position of having to step in, but in most cases your best plan of action is to be alert, make good mental notes and be the best witness you can be for the police. More importantly, don't put yourself in a position you are not ready to deal with b/c more than likely you will not make it out alive.

Please, take the time to read this article. It could be that one piece you need to help you stay alive in the middle of a fire storm you were never prepared for.

https://ccwsafe.com/blog/concealed-carry-fantasy-versus-reality-

·
Registered
22,192 Posts
I want a Big Joe's BBQ Sandwich and some of those GIANT onion rings!!! :drool:

Sorry. I digress. Steve40th knows what I'm talking about.

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
in the interest of self preservation.
The foundation of my self defense philosophy.

and the best fight is the one you never got into.
I have responsibilities to others. I strive to stay alive to fulfill those responsibilities. No hero fantasies here.

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The foundation of my self defense philosophy.

I have responsibilities to others. I strive to stay alive to fulfill those responsibilities. No hero fantasies here.
Do you remember the former Marine/Crossfit gym owner who was killed trying to stop a guy who had just shot his wife in the foot? Happened in Texas, I believe, and is a perfect example of how trying to be a hero can get you killed.

Reactions: Sloggins55

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Yes, I do remember that. You've got to cut him some slack though as he was trained to run to the sound of guns.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
I am too old, to fat and too slow to run to the sound or guns.
Nowadays I walk using cover and concealment.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Situational awareness is key but a truck barreling toward you at 45 mph is traveling 66 feet per second .. are you nimble enough to get out of the way ..

If you froze or didn't recognize the hazard the truck would have gone 120-180 feet in those 2-3 seconds .. could you get out of the way ?? Would you draw and fire if it was coming directly at you ?? What if you were pinned one side to a wall or building .. would you leave a loved one ?? would you run or fight ??

What options do you have ?? are you in good enough health to run 50 to 100 feet flat out .. what if you had a child with you ?? your wife or a elderly mother or father ..

Myself with the bad back ailments I have that limit my movement I have often wondered these and other thoughts .. I may be more aware of my surroundings then most because of my physical disabilities .. wondering how I would react or even for me to be able to .. quick physical movement would be out for me .. I could/can not run !!

Yes a hand gun would be well under manned against an AR type weapon able to fire up to full auto ..

One reason I have started practicing shooting more head and groin shots during practice .. for any instance where someone might be wearing body armor .. body shots in that instance wouldn't be productive .. and you would need to go to head or groin shots if its not covered .. carrying an additional high volume magazine is also necessary with availability of others perhaps warranted also !!

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Situational awareness is key but a truck barreling toward you at 45 mph is traveling 66 feet per second .. are you nimble enough to get out of the way ..

If you froze or didn't recognize the hazard the truck would have gone 120-180 feet in those 2-3 seconds .. could you get out of the way ?? Would you draw and fire if it was coming directly at you ?? What if you were pinned one side to a wall or building .. would you leave a loved one ?? would you run or fight ??

What options do you have ?? are you in good enough health to run 50 to 100 feet flat out .. what if you had a child with you ?? your wife or a elderly mother or father ..

Myself with the bad back ailments I have that limit my movement I have often wondered these and other thoughts .. I may be more aware of my surroundings then most because of my physical disabilities .. wondering how I would react or even for me to be able to .. quick physical movement would be out for me .. I could/can not run !!

Yes a hand gun would be well under manned against an AR type weapon able to fire up to full auto ..

One reason I have started practicing shooting more head and groin shots during practice .. for any instance where someone might be wearing body armor .. body shots in that instance wouldn't be productive .. and you would need to go to head or groin shots if its not covered .. carrying an additional high volume magazine is also necessary with availability of others perhaps warranted also !!
My guess is that, based on your awareness of your specific situation, you're going to make decisions that don't put you in harms way, and in the unlikely event you're unlucky, well, let's hope you get lucky! ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
A mans got to know his limitations. I have no expertise, ex squid, and I am not going to knowing put myself in harms way. I have no need to go to clubs, soft targets, cities, malls etc If the **** I have no delusions I'm going to survive but I won't go down without a fight.

Peter

·
Registered
301 Posts
Situational awareness / awareness of your surroundings and being alert are all part of personal readiness.
Another thing I would add to personal readiness is determination. Be determined to survive even when it looks like all is lost.
Don't let yourself panic. (I know, easy to say, harder to do).
Of course I'm not saying run out to be a hero, far from it. Run away if at all possible.
It's just that if you have already decided to survive (ahead of time) and you're determined to do so, I would think your chances are better.

Locke

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Situational awareness / awareness of your surroundings and being alert are all part of personal readiness.
Another thing I would add to personal readiness is determination. Be determined to survive even when it looks like all is lost.
Don't let yourself panic. (I know, easy to say, harder to do).
Of course I'm not saying run out to be a hero, far from it. Run away if at all possible.
It's just that if you have already decided to survive (ahead of time) and you're determined to do so, I would think your chances are better.

Locke
Making up your mind is critical to survival. one of the things we do today is make serial decisions in our mindset. We ask ourselves as a decision point "Do I reach for my weapon". Then we make the decision to Shoot/don't shoot.

Fuggitaboudat. The decision is "Shoot/Don't shoot". You focus your situational awareness on that decision, and leave the Draw/Aim/Fire decision to Muscle memory. The mental decision to Shoot should be made before you trigger the muscle memory. It all boils down to the old adage from the Marines:
"Be Polite and be courteous and be prepared to kill everyone you meet".

The decision is "Kill or Not". yea it sounds strange, but you find it is a Lot calmer when your mind is like this and not crowded with a lot of simplistic nonsense.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My guess is that, based on your awareness of your specific situation, you're going to make decisions that don't put you in harms way, and in the unlikely event you're unlucky, well, let's hope you get lucky! ?
You would think so wouldn't you .. but being retired and traveling to places we would like to see we are more vulnerable because we don't know our surroundings ..

My wife and I have gone over things we do like she locks the door as I am pumping gas .. if alone she locks the doors if she does .. eliminates someone opening a car door .. she will also tell me if anyone is approaching even if I am looking directly at that person .. Take nothing for granted !! It could kill you if you do !!

Took a class where a question was what side does your wife/husband walk on .. almost all of us minus 1 person said the left side if right side carry .. but if they were walking next to your carry you could use them to cover you drawing your weapon if it was needed ..

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with the OP and thanks for the article. Once the threat is identified as having a long gun, every CC holder I know personally is immediately, and badly, outgunned. If they decide to engage based on their tactical training then they are the exception and not the rule. You never know what you will do until you are in the middle of a crapstorm but the OP is right. Your family needs you home and not being an overwhelmed good guy in a chalk outline. Even in the case of a pistol, I'm not a police officer and I carry for my own SD. If you witness a liquor store robbery and tell the cops what you witnessed and that you carry, no cop I know will ask you why you didn't shoot the perp. If the guns pointed at me or threatening to me or family, I'll be in with both feet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts