SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new to this forum and I signed up because I'm in the market for a high-end compact 9mm Sig. I've narrowed it down to the P229 but I swear, I need a class on all the difference variations of Sigs. What I want so far is:

Compact
9mm, 15+ capacity
SRT
Railed underside
Night sights

So I've further narrowed it down to the four in my title but am having trouble finding specific differences on a few, mostly because I can't find them on the Sig website, namely the Scorpion and Extreme.

Scorpion vs Extreme? What's the difference? I'm kind of leaning toward these two because I like the grips and feel of the Scorpion but just saw an "Extreme" on Gunbroker and couldn't find it on the Sig website. I thought they looked similar. I don't need it to be tan and would in fact prefer darker colored. Both the Scorpion and Extreme 229s are not on Sig's website so comparing the two is the most problematic.

Legion: I'm having a hard time swallowing the price on this as it seems a little gimmicky? Can someone share their experience with it and tell me if they think the price is worth it. Plus it doesn't have the front night sight so that makes it harder for me to go that route.

Enhanced Elite: I like that this seems like a full package of all the "goodies" I'm looking for without all the gimmicks. Looking for anyone with experience with this one.

Also, not as important, but I'd prefer it to come with a threaded barrel. The only one I noticed so far that does that is the Scorpion. If anyone knows dealers that sell the other models with the TB, let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Throw the Combat Compact into the mix because as I just learned, between these models I'm comparing, the Combat is the only one with the standard 1913 rail. That irks me a bit because if I'm reading correctly, the Combat doesn't have the SRT. I can't change a rail but I can swap a trigger. So am I interpreting correctly that between the Scoprion, Legion, Elite, Extreme and Combat, the only one with a standard rail is the Combat but is also the only without the SRT? Makes me want to rip my hair out.

·
Registered
481 Posts
the only annoyance of the Extreme (vs others with SRT) is the front strap is not checkered rather has the horizontal cuts.

229 scorpion
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sig+p229+scorpion&FORM=HDRSC2

229 extreme
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sig+p229+extreme&FORM=HDRSC2

The Legion has the theoretical best of everything (tail, sights, trigger, etc) but i'm not a fan of the color personally. If i were shopping a 229 i'd probably shop for a Legion but if found the Enhanced Elite at a fantastic price (several hundred less) that would be the purchase knowing $90 more for G10 grips I want on any Sig P2xx.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a P229 Legion and love it. I especially like the modified beavertail, not too big. The front sight is tritium and is amazing. It was worth the money to me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Beavertail: Scorpion, Enhanced Elite, Legion (stubby tail?)
So Extreme, Combat and Legion are probably best for carry.

G10 Grips: Scorpion, Legion and Extreme
Enhanced Elite has E2 (skinny) grips and Combat has plastic grips.

SRT: Everything but the Combat

Sig is phasing out some of these, so it's harder to find a Scorpion now. As the Legion is the line they are pushing. I was hoping for an Emperor Scorpion line besides the 1911.

The other is the Short REACH Trigger (not reset), my Scorpion has it. I'm fairly certain the Extreme and Combat have it, but not 100%. The Legion and Enhanced Elite do not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Good info.

So I just learned that every pistol I'm considering besides the Combat has the SIG proprietary accessory rail and may have trouble fitting a standard Picatinny accessory such as a light underneath. Is this true?

This is frustrating because if the Combat is the only pistol that has the standard 1913 rail, but doesn't have the SRT, then I'm stuck with the Combat and having to swap an after-market trigger to meet my specs all because of the rail. Why does SIG do this with their rail?

The combination of options SIG offers is more frustrating than anything.

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
... As the Legion is the line they are pushing. I was hoping for an Emperor Scorpion line besides the 1911.....
The one with the softest, thinnest, most easily-damaged finish the PVD process could ever apply. :p

Reactions: TXSouthpaw

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the Enhanced Elite 229 and absolutely love it, very soft shooting (9mm). The only thing I would suggest is that if you plan to carry it, I'd go with a different model, that beaver tail makes it uncomfortable for carry. I do carry it once in a while; but not ideal for that. All other aspects of it are perfect in my opinion.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks. Good info.

So I just learned that every pistol I'm considering besides the Combat has the SIG proprietary accessory rail and may have trouble fitting a standard Picatinny accessory such as a light underneath. Is this true?
No issues mounting anything. Lights and lasers all fit fine for me. I have the Scorpion P229, P226 Elite and both are awesome. My P229 Scorpion is my go to pistol. I have G10s on every Sig I own as I just love them. Only change I made to my Scorpion was I put Trijicon HDs on it. I just love those sights and they too are on all but my X5s.

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
No issues mounting anything. ...
Streamlight issues a warning that mounting their lights on SIG's proprietary rail will damage the finish because they do not fit the longitudinal grooves properly and have to be "cranked on" to tighten them. Been some issues with other brands. Examples have been shown on this site.

Depends on the brand. The 1913 rails provide other benefits as well, such as repeatable alignment when removing and mounting rail-mounted lasers without having to re-zero every time.

Will most stuff mount? Sure. Doesn't mean it works well.

Reactions: jwperry

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks. Good info.

This is frustrating because if the Combat is the only pistol that has the standard 1913 rail, but doesn't have the SRT, then I'm stuck with the Combat and having to swap an after-market trigger to meet my specs all because of the rail. Why does SIG do this with their rail?

The combination of options SIG offers is more frustrating than anything.

The Sig rail isn't an issue. I've run both the X300U and TLR-1 on mine. They lock up solid and work perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Sig rail isn't an issue. I've run both the X300U and TLR-1 on mine. They lock up solid and work perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. My TLR-1 is fine and my Crimson Trace also works fine. Most have adapters anyway.

If it concerns you I guess look elsewhere? My point is that there are a lot of good accessory rail options that work just fine.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Throw the Combat Compact into the mix because as I just learned, between these models I'm comparing, the Combat is the only one with the standard 1913 rail. That irks me a bit because if I'm reading correctly, the Combat doesn't have the SRT. I can't change a rail but I can swap a trigger. So am I interpreting correctly that between the Scoprion, Legion, Elite, Extreme and Combat, the only one with a standard rail is the Combat but is also the only without the SRT? Makes me want to rip my hair out.
To be clear when you say SRT and change the trigger Sig has made this all too confusing by having essentially 2 SRTs. The Short Reset Trigger which if you order this is actually the Short Reset Trigger Parts Kit.

Then there is the actual physical trigger the Short Reach Trigger which if you reference this as the SRT (It does abbreviate to SRT) but alas using that term here gets some upset
You can have the SRT with a regular "fat" trigger and you can have the Short Reach Trigger without having the SRT which is the sear etc.

So, to add the SRT you would need to change the sear etc and not the trigger itself.

The Short Reach Trigger can be annoying if you have thicker or larger fingers so many that have lets say an M11A-1 (Which comes with both the SRT and the SRT LOL) have sent their pistol to Sig and have the trigger swapped to the standard (AKA "Fat") trigger.
I personally took it out and modified it by removing the last 1/4" but that is me.

Being new to Sigs I hope you understand this obviously confusing naming by Sig. If not ask. Its one of those wut???? things

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
Same here. My TLR-1 is fine and my Crimson Trace also works fine. Most have adapters anyway.

If it concerns you I guess look elsewhere? My point is that there are a lot of good accessory rail options that work just fine.
It is much easier to mount on a 1913 rail than the SIG rail. I know. I have both. I didn't say that they don't work. They just work better, mount more easily, are easier to re-align if you have zeroed laser, and they have less chance of damaging the gun or finish if they are mounted on a 1913 rail.

Many folks use a piece of electrical tape between the rail-mounted accessory and the rail to protect the finish, but I don't worry about it. I do, however, still prefer my 1913-railed pistols for mounting accessories.

This is my P226 Special Production (W226-40-SP), built on a MK25 frame and chambered in .40S&W, with Streamlight TLR-2 HL G light/laser. The light is 800 lumens with wide spill pattern and it incorporates a highly-visible green laser with a 510-530nm wavelength. Using a toggle switch in a protected location between the laser housing and the forward face of the trigger guard, you can select light-only, laser-only, or light and laser. The laser is extremely visible within the 800 lumen light's beam pattern. The Streamlight is easily mounted on the Special Production's MK25 frame's true MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts