SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Compacts with light trigger

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  jaytee1972 
#1 ·
I have the P320 full size 9mm and I'm a small guy so it just isn't any fun to carry. However, i do love the trigger. I dry fired a few compact pistols yesterday and most of them had such a hard trigger pull that I couldn't see myself ever hitting anything with them. A couple were Taurus and one was a Kel Tec. The only one that seemed decent was the M & P Shield, but I've read of so many people having problems with that gun that I hesitate to get one. Before my 320, I had a pistol with a heavy trigger and even worse, a lot of travel. I'm just looking for a compact with a nice trigger. I'd even be open to a hair trigger as long as it has a manual safety. I also need to keep the price under $400. Is there anything out there in 9mm that is reliable?

#6 ·
If you like the trigger on the 320FS, then get a 320C or 320SC.

Or a Walther PPS. Or a Glock. Or a VP9. Or a PPQ. Or a Shield (very popular CCW with way more positive reviews than complaints).

Basically, decide what frame size you want, and then try out the striker-fired pistols in that category. There are lots of excellent choices. Find the one that works best for you.

#7 ·
Maybe my lack of internet research is showing a bit here but I thought the Shield was a pretty decent handgun. I probably know a dozen people that own, shoot, and carry a Shield and they all seem to love them.

I know the triggers are known to be a bit crude and are known for being a bit gritty but that can be fixed. I haven't heard of any reliability issues.

#8 ·
No, the Shields are extremely reliable, and I don't mind the triggers. A little gritty at first, but it smooths out over time shots fired.

#11 · (Edited)
IMO the Shield is a good pistol and at current prices a downright steal. Trigger is also decent for a CCW pistol.

My personal preference for single stack poly pistol is Walther PPS, though I own the original and don' have experience with the M2. The M2 can be purchased for about $400.

My PPS has a 6LB trigger and I get great accuracy with it in my hands.

http://grabagun.com/walther-14.html

#14 ·
FWIW, I've put thousands of rounds through multiple Sheilds and have never encountered that issue. I've never even heard of it.

#16 ·
Did you read through the entire thread?

#18 ·
Did you see this:

Try this from an old post here with similar problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckaroo
Rastoff. To tell you the truth i did not notice either way. I didn't even think to check that.
First of all, thank you for answering the question (all of them). You will continue to find this site very helpful.

I asked about the barrel because it is one potential cause of what you had. Allow me to explain...

As the slide moves backward, the barrel moves toward the rear a little, then drops/tilts down. If for some reason, the barrel doesn't move back far enough, it will be pinched between the slide and the frame. The result is a slide that won't move either way. Depending on how stuck it is, will determine what is necessary to free it. Yours wasn't stuck bad.

Try this; lock the slide back on an empty chamber. Now, wiggle the barrel a little. It should seem quite sloppy. The barrel should feel loose. This is normal. That movement actually helps the feeding process.

I have seen your situation a couple of times and each time it was due to the barrel getting wedged in there. The fix was to bump the barrel on the muzzle to dislodge it. In each case the malfunction has not returned that I know of.

#19 · (Edited)
The M&P Shield is the best selling pistol in America with well over a million sold. I would not put much credence in a forum post about someone having a problem with it. If you search you will find someone having a problem with every pistol ever made. There is also a huge difference between an individual or a few having a problem with their specific pistol than a design flaw.

Bud's gun shop customer reviews of the Shield. Keep in mind that some one is much much more likely to post a review when they have a problem than when they don't have a problem.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/82836

111 - 5 star
9 - 4 star
1 - 3 star
2 - 1 star

#21 ·
When I was evaluating what pistol I was going to purchase for CCW, it came down to the Walther PPS Mk 2 or the Sig P239. The P239-.40 won because it fit me better and I preferred the DA/SA. The PPS has a pretty nice trigger for a striker fired pistol though and I can see having one some day.

#24 ·
I picked up a second Shield when the first went to the wifey. This time was the PC version. Slide locked back at first. Barrel and RSA were dry, the springs were crunchy when racking the slide. Lubing it up REALLY well after the first time cleaning it seemed to resolve it. It just seems to be from tight clearances and when it was initially dry.

Ended up with Shields when I realized the P320C with SC grip wouldn't work for me as CCW. I've ran the same amount of rounds through the P320 and the two Shields combined, no failures on any.

#25 ·
I pulled the trigger today, literally, on a 9mm Shield. I took it to a gravel pit and shot off a box of Blazer Brass 124 grain and it performed flawlessly. I did have the gun dealer lubricate it for me before I took possession. I didn't perform as flawlessly as the gun but that will come with time. I doubt I'll ever be as accurate with this as I was with the p320 but I don't expect to be. Since I'm not into competition, this should serve me well. I feel confident I should have no problem taking out a perp at 25 feet. I fell in love with the p320 trigger but the one on this Shield isn't too bad. It's a heck of a lot better than on any of the other compacts I dry fired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.