SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Premium Member
18,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What is happening at Colt? That’s the question on many people’s minds as news of layoffs in the company began to trickle out starting on Tuesday. Rumors of massive layoffs at Colt began with a post at Pistol-Forum by member “misanthropist”, who wrote:

Sounds like a big mess down there and a whole lot of pink slips, including my favourite division, the custom shop.

The extent of the layoffs are not yet known, but it has been confirmed that Brent Turchi, director of Colt Customer Service and the Colt Custom Shop, was let go. Brent posted the following at 1911forum.com:

I am alive and well just no longer with Colt. I will continue to be a member of this forum and interact as I see appropriate. I will also tell the forum when and where I land. I have and will continue to enjoy this forum and its members. All thoughts are appreciated.
Brent

Whether this is a handful of layoffs or a gutting of the company is yet unknown, but according to misanthrope, things are not looking good. He posted that Colt Canada had reportedly been gutted, and the Colt Advanced Systems division and the Custom Shop virtually shut down entirely:

Sorry guys I don’t think there’s any information I can link to.

My understanding is that Advanced Systems is shut down entirely, as is the Custom Shop. Colt Canada will be stripped down to little more than the C8 production line and the extraneous people just had their jobs eliminated. The SWORD and MRR programs sound like they’re shelved. From the sounds of things, a lot of job losses.

That’s what I am hearing, anyway.

Colt has been trying to make its way back to normalcy, after bankruptcy rocked the company in 2015. The company debuted its newly reintroduced Cobra revolver at the 2017 SHOT Show, a firearm developed in part due to the efforts of the Custom Shop. The Custom Shop also helped debug the Defender compact 1911 variant.

There is a lot of speculation that with the election and lack of contracts, Colt simply doesn’t have enough money to continue operating these divisions. Shutting them down, however, would burn a significant amount of goodwill that Colt has built over the rears with its customer base, which might make recovery even harder for the New Haven Company.

We will keep our readers updated as things unfold.

BREAKING: Colt Lays Off Custom Shop Director, Other Employees, Company Rumored Gutted - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Colt is dying b/c Colt is stupid. It has been on life support for years now. They refused to go the way of the plastic road, and, frankly, other companies are producing 1911s that are as good or better. Their last chance to stay afloat died when the MARSOC got rid of the Colt rail guns and went with the Glock 19. THAT should have told them all it needed to. Too bad...but now those old Colts are going to sky rocket in value. I should have kept my old model 70. LOL

Reactions: asdfzxcv

· 🎖USA Veteran
3,087 Posts
Everyone in the firearms industry are hurting. Article yesterday centered on sales being down about 25% since President Trump won the election. Background checks are also down by the same amount.

Could be part of the motive Glock has filed a GAO protest on the Army acquisition. A nice Government contract could carry someone through the hard times and also allow them to reduce cost on the selected pistol to the commercial market place. Look how much less Beretta was able to sale the Model 92 compared to Sig's P226.

· Banned
6,262 Posts
Everyone in the firearms industry are hurting. Article yesterday centered on sales being down about 25% since President Trump won the election. Background checks are also down by the same amount.

Could be part of the motive Glock has filed a GAO protest on the Army acquisition. A nice Government contract could carry someone through the hard times and also allow them to reduce cost on the selected pistol to the commercial market place. Look how much less Beretta was able to sale the Model 92 compared to Sig's P226.
I'm not sure I would say everyone in the firearms industry is hurting. The drop off in sales is based on the recent spike since the Obama administration started the whole gun ban rhetoric. Those spikes reached historic peaks, but the firearms industry was doing pretty well before those spikes hit. The industry has been growing significantly over the last 20 years due to the plastic boom with not only plastic guns being produced in record numbers, but all manner of accessories as well. I think it is safe to say that not all gun manufacturers are struggling.

The issue with Colt is that it has flat out refused to produce a polymer frame gun, which I think is insane. More people are switching to plastic guns than ever before, and there is no reason not to. They're just as reliable, lighter and less expensive in most cases. Colt is struggling b/c it is holding on to the nostalgia of yesteryear, and it is getting what it deserves for being so stupid. I hate it, but it's just life in the big city.

Reactions: lamarw

· Registered
943 Posts
Do not mourn for Colt; rather look forward to them reemerging from the ashes of the old company. To do this they need to move to a gun friendly state, hire workers who vote for freedom and those who support freedom and to stop supporting those who would suppress gun rights.
The workers at Colt backed Clinton/Gore TWICE! They continued to back EVERY anti-gun candidate for local, state and national elections despite the impact it could or would have on their profession. Now they are reaping the whirlwind.
When Colt cut the ties with the People's Republic, move to a right to work state (HINT, HINT: MISSOURI!) and get behind gun rights and those who support those rights then they, and any other blind gun maker, need to find out gun owners will not support them or buy their products.

· Registered
943 Posts
SHOOT:
I knew a guy on their plant security. During the C/G runs they had a very large C/G banner on the end wall of their main shop in W. Hartford and the workers all proudly displayed their C/G lapel buttons.
I have a few other horror stories about the quality of work and workers but I'll spare the bandwidth those. Suffice to say I do not own a Colt product nor shall I unless they close out the PRoCT side of the business and setup in a free state.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
The other side of this is-how many AR's or 1911's can one company really sell due to an over saturation of the market? Lets face it, Trump won, so people are not panic buying anymore. Couple that with most people have bought what they want/need so there is no need to run out and get another AR. Colt has been trying to get current for a long time even with their 1911's but they are too little too late.

We are going to see this same thing played out at several firearms manufactures in the up coming months/years. It won't be until the next election when things will ramp back up again (that or someone goes on a shooting spree) and the "gun ban bandwagon" will shake off its dust.

· Registered
23,302 Posts
SHOOT:
I knew a guy on their plant security. During the C/G runs they had a very large C/G banner on the end wall of their main shop in W. Hartford and the workers all proudly displayed their C/G lapel buttons.
I have a few other horror stories about the quality of work and workers but I'll spare the bandwidth those. Suffice to say I do not own a Colt product nor shall I unless they close out the PRoCT side of the business and setup in a free state.
Oh well. At any rate, I have my Colt Gold Cup National Match Series '70 that I bought new in the early 70's and my newly acquired SAA, so glad of those anyway.

· Registered
760 Posts
Yup Colt Canada being gutted as well is all over our own gun forums today. Rumours the Can. gov't could step in to take over that side of things up here as they are our only remaining volume small arms manufacturer and are so contracted to supply our military and various LEO groups with rifles.

· Premium Member
15,856 Posts
I've said this often, but Colt should have at least bought out the Canik and made it their polymer line...like Springfield did with the Croation HS2000, which became their (very successful) XD line. Even though the Canik is basically a clone of the Walther P99, it would have been a smart move to at least 'get with the times'. Back during the shot show, as part of their new direction forward, they revealed.......a carry revolver! Look for that thread in this section and see what my first comment on that was.

So how long did this most recent Colt life preserver float....five, six months....?

· Banned
6,262 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Sorry to hear about Brent's termination. He did a great job in the Custom Shop and worked with me when I ordered some goodies to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the 1911. I hope he lands on his feet.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.