SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much of an AR guy, so I need a bit of help. I've got a chance to buy a Colt AR-15 A2 style rifle. I've only seen a picture of it. No idea of the model number. 20" barrel, molded in carry handle, solid stock, round hand guards. Rifle is in excellent shape. Has been shot, but not much. Owner says it haven't been out of his safe for years. Can y'all get me into the ball park on a fair price?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
No clue. The pandemic has screwed gun prices. But a non-pony mid tier plain AR should ran between 800 to 1000 new. And that is for the M4 styles. It has been many years since I've seen 20" ARs on the shelf. But I heard rumblings that the 20" M16 style ARs are poised to be the next 'new cool' gun to have. Might be worth jumping on. My fist AR is a 20" M16A4 clone, and is a fun rifle to shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
They have been selling for $1800 or so on Gunbroker if it's an R6500

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Talked with the owner. The rifle is a pre-ban. Serial number begins with "HB" which designates a Match HBAR.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
UPDATE: Talked with the owner. The rifle is a pre-ban. Serial number begins with "HB" which designates a Match HBAR.
Ask him if it's a slab side lower. That would make it a tad more collectorific.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
to check whether it's a true HBAR, it should not have a bayonet lug, the BCG should not be enclosed at the rear of the bolt carrier, and the bolt carrier should have a C stamped on the right side.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
to check whether it's a true HBAR, it should not have a bayonet lug, the BCG should not be enclosed at the rear of the bolt carrier, and the bolt carrier should have a C stamped on the right side.
Yep.

Should look like this. I bought this new in early 1991, but not certain of the actual date of manufacture. But no bayonet lug, slab side lower, and to this day my fave AR in the collection.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is marked Sporter and does not have a bayonet lug. I couldn't find an exact manufacture date. But I did find a list that says this serial number is pre-ban. Asking $1400.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is marked Sporter and does not have a bayonet lug. I couldn't find an exact manufacture date. But I did find a list that says this serial number is pre-ban. Asking $1400.
Value Depends if you are buying to keep or flip and if you live in a ban state. Pre ban in MA is closer to $2k if it hasn’t been fired much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
In this crazy times I received offers for my Colt AR15 A2 Govnt Carbine for $2000 and I won't sell, favorite rifle since 1993!

A simple search on Gun Broker will give you just a few options for more than $1200 used and abused!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I noticed that this rifle has the screw type front receiver pin. I've also heard a bit about different sized pins for various parts. And possible differences in other parts as well. Is this good or bad?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts