SIG Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an issue with my Colt Gold Cup National Match Series '70 after all of this time. I haven't fired it in some time, but I've noticed that the slide doesn't slam forward easily when it's released. Like it binds. I did let a smith look at it a while back and he said that it shouldn't be a problem as the force of the pressure from a fired round would throw it all the way forward. Even so, I want it to naturally and easily work as it's suppose to. Anyway, I'm contributing this to it's stock "collet" bushing that is very tight . . .

Has anyone experienced this and have a solution? Possibly have changed the collet bushing out to a solid bushing?

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Based on your comments, I am guessing the bushing to the right in your picture is the one in your Gold Cup? When you say tight, are you meaning the barrel fits tightly inside the bushing or the bushing is tight when installing to the slide? My bushings were all tight (fit to slide) when new and seem to become looser with use.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Maybe a light lapping?

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on your comments, I am guessing the bushing to the right in your picture is the one in your Gold Cup? When you say tight, are you meaning the barrel fits tightly inside the bushing or the bushing is tight when installing to the slide? My bushings were all tight (fit to slide) when new and seem to become looser with use.
Correct Mal. Mine is the stock "collet" bushing on the right. On some, the so-called fingers have broken of which is one problem of it's design. Mine's been fine over the decades, but I haven't shot it in a long time. Still, I don't know why it has made it to where the slide binds. Some have changed their's out for a solid one, etc. Just wanted to know if any of my friends here had a similar issue. Again, the collet bushing on the '7-'s seem to be somewhat of an issue. Also, when I fully rack the slide, it does slam all the way forward. It's when I just let it go somewhat slower, does it bind toward the end??? The barrel looks fine but I may check the inside of the bushing, as well???

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I'm of no help here, my experience with 1911's is rather limited, the fanciest I own is a DW. Mine all have the solid bushing and I've had zero issue, other than the removal issue I mentioned earlier. Do you have another bushing on hand you could just try out? Maybe a simple swap would point you in the right direction?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a bright nickel Colt Series 70 that my grandmother bought new in 1972. It also had the collett bushing. I was advised to put it in a safe place never use it due to the risk of it breaking. I bought a Colt replacement solid bushing and it fit just fine with no issues.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a bright nickel Colt Series 70 that my grandmother bought new in 1972. It also had the collett bushing. I was advised to put it in a safe place never use it due to the risk of it breaking. I bought a Colt replacement solid bushing and it fit just fine with no issues.
Thanks Rio. It wasn't that sensitive but some have broken, nonetheless. I even have 2 separate springs to use with whichever ammo I use. A solid barrel bushing like on just about every other 1911, should be the remedy.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
I would do as Rio suggested, as I have on 1911's I've owned in the past that came with the collet bushing.

Reactions: 390ish

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
Shoot, I can only imagine possibilities, as to the cause, but echoing sentiment of others, and switch to a solid bushing. The collet bushing was meant to have a loose fitting bushing for assembly and disassembly, that would tighten as the barrel locked up, preventing barrel movement, for accuracy.
An equivalent type of bushing, would be Briley's Spherical Bushing.

Reactions: SHOOT

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have you tried upping the spring rate on your recoil spring (e.g., going from 18 to 20 lbs)? It might need a little extra oomph to return to battery.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Measure OD of barrel at muzzle, measure ID of slide and order a custom made EGW bushing for it.
Very low cost and may require just a tad bit of fitting. But the reason it's slow on the soft close is usually not the bushing it's the barrel lugs and how they fit into top of slide.
The series 70 GCNM usually has a hard fit barrel which means the lugs on top fit hard into slide on the close. A nice carry bevel angle bore bushing will add to the durability for sure.

Bushings: EGW Gun Parts

But I'd still bet it's the lugs on top of the barrel being hard fit into lug slots inside of the slide that's causing the slow close. Shoot it wet for a few hundred rounds and you'll find this goes away.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
First off, My advise is "Clean it".
Inside of the slide and the collet.

Then LIGHTLY apply Brian Enos' Grease to the outside of the barrel near the collet expansion on the barrel.
Slide it a couple of times.

I don't know *Personally* of any instances where the collet failed. If anyone does, please let me know.

Reactions: SHOOT

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm of no help here, my experience with 1911's is rather limited, the fanciest I own is a DW. Mine all have the solid bushing and I've had zero issue, other than the removal issue I mentioned earlier. Do you have another bushing on hand you could just try out? Maybe a simple swap would point you in the right direction?
Gonna have to get one to try. Shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First off, My advise is "Clean it".
Inside of the slide and the collet.

Then LIGHTLY apply Brian Enos' Grease to the outside of the barrel near the collet expansion on the barrel.
Slide it a couple of times.

I don't know *Personally* of any instances where the collet failed. If anyone does, please let me know.
I am planning to do just that. Never had a problem with it, but like I've said, it's been a while since I've shot it.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Measure OD of barrel at muzzle, measure ID of slide and order a custom made EGW bushing for it.
Very low cost and may require just a tad bit of fitting. But the reason it's slow on the soft close is usually not the bushing it's the barrel lugs and how they fit into top of slide.
The series 70 GCNM usually has a hard fit barrel which means the lugs on top fit hard into slide on the close. A nice carry bevel angle bore bushing will add to the durability for sure.

Bushings: EGW Gun Parts

But I'd still bet it's the lugs on top of the barrel being hard fit into lug slots inside of the slide that's causing the slow close. Shoot it wet for a few hundred rounds and you'll find this goes away.
Thanks. If the simple cleaning/greasing doesn't work, guess that would be an option.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Thanks. If the simple cleaning/greasing doesn't work, guess that would be an option.
Shoot it wet. The lugs will 'mesh' with each other and it will eventually become nice and smooth. It's not the bushing.
However you cannot go wrong with a nice EGW one as I linked about. Get the angle bore model so it accommodates the barrel tilt on the unlock/lock up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts