SIG Talk banner

Colorado - P938

908 10
Glad I've got the P938... went to Colorado to visit family, drove from MO. Really wanted to travel with something with 15 rounds (229 / Glock 19, etc). I was researching the Colorado laws and found that you can have a gun in a vehicle; but can't have a concealed weapon outside of the car. Also, and I nearly overlooked it, you can't be in possession of a "large capacity" magazine - meaning 10 rounds or less. Glad I had the 938 and a couple extra 7 round mags.

Anyone in the know that can comment whether or not I interpreted the Colorado law correctly?
Reactions: bearone2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Reactions: tahmail

Banned
I think maybe you maybe got something incorrect. My edc is 14+1
Hi cap kits are sold in retail everyday, no law against assembling them carrying them. Open carry is the law of the land if you can't cc.

Registered
Yeah, lots of wrong information. The state wide magazine limit is fifteen rounds. The city of Denver does have its own set of rules but I don't even know anything about them as I just typically avoid all things Denver. Denver even has its own specific "assault weapons ban".

Your Illinois carry permit isn't valid in Colorado if I remember correctly. Colorado will honor carry permits issued to residents of other states so long as that state honors the Colorado permit. Apparently Illinois won't recognize a Colorado permit so Colorado refuses to honor theirs.

Registered
There is more to the mag limit law...it only applies to residents of Colorado. If you are allowed to own a larger capacity mag in your home state you are allowed to bring it to Colorado. It was passed to "protect" the citizens but I guess we should only be protected from other Colorado citizens and deserve to be mass shot by outsiders. They allowed the outsiders whatever as they didn't want to lose the funds from out of state hunters...yet hunters seldom use high cap mags to hunt...

The above post listing the restriction as 10 rounds is the early version of the law...it was amended before passing to restrict us to 15 rounds.

Personally I carry a FN FiveseveN with a 20 round mag. One in the tube so I have instant access to 21. Then reloads.

Registered
Yes, our politically correct dumb-***** government decided that any magazine holding more than ten rounds of ammo is an invitation to disaster~
On the other hand, all county sheriff's with one exception say this is an unenforceable law and no one has been charged for violating it.

Banned
^except it's not 10 rounds, it's 15.

The law actually has no teeth(I don't believe there are any articulated punishments) and the "loop holes" make it nearly impossible to apply as there is no prohibition of buying a kit (non fully seated base plate qualifies) assembling it, then using the now assembled mag. Kits are also perfectly legal for retail sales as clarified by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and stores can disassemble the mag into a kit in order to sell it.

It's frustrating that people give the fear of the law more power than it has, afraid of a boogie man that the CBI has confirmed doesn't exist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.