SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
🎖USAF Retired
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently decided to experiment with color filling the engraving on my magazines and weapons. I have mostly black slides but I do have one FDE (P320). White would work on most, I even have "traffic cone" orange fingernail polish (I use it to paint a fixed black sight on my Colt 1911). Figure black on FDE would work best.

Hoping folks could post pictures of examples they have done with different colors.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,615 Posts
... I even have "traffic cone" orange fingernail polish (I use it to paint a fixed black sight on my Colt 1911). Figure black on FDE would work best....

Suuuuurre you do. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol:

·
🎖USAF Retired
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proof :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm partial to gray, looks more natural to me. I haven't done a SIG yet, other than mags. I like the way my M&Ps came out.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I must be doing something wrong, I tried doing this with my Mags and could not get the color to stay. I really need it to as my eyes are getting bad enough that I cant read the mags without them

Maybe I need a different type of paint. I just got some white fingernail polish.

Is there a certain type of product that works best?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
This is what I have used in the past... LACQUER-STIK® | Brownells

I have used the White, Gold, and they used to have Silver. It doesn't wear real well, but is easy to reapply.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Wow Steved13, That looks pretty good. I agree, Gray is more subdued, the white would be too .... Gaudy?

How long did it take to do all those Mags?
not too long really, less than an hour, including waiting for it to dry.

I must be doing something wrong, I tried doing this with my Mags and could not get the color to stay. I really need it to as my eyes are getting bad enough that I cant read the mags without them

Maybe I need a different type of paint. I just got some white fingernail polish.

Is there a certain type of product that works best?
I use nail polish. paint it on so it's full. Let it dry, at least most of the way, a tiny bit tacky is OK. Then fold a paper towel so you have a stiff edge, and use non acetone nail polish remover and keep wiping until only the lettering is filled. My guess would be you were getting it too wet with the remover, and maybe too soft of an edge.

This guy uses testors, but same thing

I like the nail polish because it makes me feel pretty...er uh, because it's easy to find, and lots of colors.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
It seems when I was doing it I was adding in the step of using a razor to remove the excess first. That seemed to cause issues with pulling some of the paint out of the recesses. I may give it another go today and let it dry a bit more and just use the nail polish remover.

Thanks for the vid.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It seems when I was doing it I was adding in the step of using a razor to remove the excess first. That seemed to cause issues with pulling some of the paint out of the recesses. I may give it another go today and let it dry a bit more and just use the nail polish remover.

Thanks for the vid.
No problem.

I've never used a razor blade. You'll be amazed at how easy it is and how nice it comes out. Seems to last quite awhile.

·
🎖USAF Retired
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I had "Traffic Cone" orange and white fingernail polish available I tried both on some magazines. (I like gray but didn't have any...). Disregard the less than perfect cleanup...I was going more for color comparison.

I like the white a smudge better, but also was considering the orange to quickly ID similar but different mags.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,028 Posts
I have not attempted to do so. I do have one example from the Mobile SWAT on a former LEO S&W Model 10-6 revolver. Supposedly they used to do this to their firearms. May still do so as far as I know.

I did spend some time today messing with making some grips/stocks from scratch for a Ruger Mk1 pistol. I had some wood on hand and acquired the Ruger medallions off eBay for under ten bucks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,414 Posts
This Glock 26 was done by the shop I bought it from....i think it's Burnt Bronze Cerakote.

I normally don't like filled-in letters on Glocks, but in being rather gold instead of white, it looked more subdued and 'factory' to me.

Reactions: Redcat94
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.