SIG Talk banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Awesome! Went to Merrillville school system up thru my junior year. My dad’s job took us to PA right before my senior year, so I didn’t actually graduate there. Grad year ‘08. Small world.
My kids graduated there too in '10 and '12. It is a small world, but I still would not want to paint it.

· Registered
91 Posts
Concealed carry is easier in the cold, but what about when the weather is temperate, or in the high heat of summer? What if you prefer to tuck in a shirt, or use a shoulder holster? How do you dress for concealed carry success?
I live in southeast Georgia, pretty much the same climate... a really good gunbelt and holster combination is the key

· Registered
123 Posts
It was 83F with 80+% humidity here in SoFlo today! Baggy "fisherman" type shirts from Wrangler or Bass Pro and cargo shorts. OWB with a good belt, suspenders, and keep the guns small to medium size. P238, P365, Shield, Hellcat Pro, and similar. That works for me. YMMV. In the summer, I have to take any gun I carry, and let it air out for a while after I get home to make sure it's not put away with trapped moisture!

· Registered
105 Posts
Concealed carry is easier in the cold, but what about when the weather is temperate, or in the high heat of summer? What if you prefer to tuck in a shirt, or use a shoulder holster? How do you dress for concealed carry success?
I've lived in South Florida most of my life. We have two seasons here . . . HOT & HOTTER.

As such, attire must be comfortable and lightweight, typically an untucked short sleeve t-shirt, guayabera, or button down shirt.

One thing a lot of people down here forget is to avoid wearing open toed shoes. Closed toed rubber soled shoes are important if we need to run or fight.

I wear shorts or pants whose front pocket openings are horizontally oriented so any knife or flashlight clips don't extend beyond the length of the shirt like you might see with a diagonally oriented pocket opening. Clips are a tell.

I also like shorts or pants with side pockets for my mobile phone and TQ. My phone has a case that contains my ID and a credit card, so I ditched the wallet.

Nothing goes in my back pockets.

With some planning and thought you'd be surprised at how minimalist and efficient you can be, and still remain comfortable and discreet.

I carry appendix for both holster and spare mag.

· 🎖USAF Veteran
1,202 Posts
I've lived in South Florida most of my life. We have two seasons here . . . HOT & HOTTER.
That's pretty funny. I grew up in Miami and I still remember the day I went out to go to high school and the grass crunched under my feet. I picked up the hose to spray the mist off of my windshield but nothing came out of the hose. It can get very cold down there, but fortunately that is very rare.

· Registered
105 Posts
That's pretty funny. I grew up in Miami and I still remember the day I went out to go to high school and the grass crunched under my feet. I picked up the hose to spray the mist off of my windshield but nothing came out of the hose. It can get very cold down there, but fortunately that is very rare.
Yeah like the one day it snowed in 1977. That was back when scientists were saying we were entering an ice age.

I graduated from Columbus. Where did you go to high school?

· Registered
987 Posts
Who sells the shirt?
OK, the shirt is "a thing". They are Guayabera shirts, sometimes known as Mexican Wedding Shirts. If you google search them you'll discover a whole nother hobby. I collect and wear them regularly. Some made with fine linen and hand stitched embroidery.

The traditional way that I grew up with was seeing them always worn over cotton wife beater t-shirts and a Cuban cigar burning close by.

A nice place to find an entry level is eBay and the brand is Haband. Order them about 2 sizes larger than your dress shirts.

I suspect that the Guayabera is probably the grandpa of the bowling shirt....which is a whole nother addiction I'm guilty of.

It's hot here.

· Registered
2,428 Posts
In Miami, Guayaberas are considered the equivalent of wearing a suit/coat & tie when I was working there…Una Escuadra abajo su Guayabera fue la moda completa del dia. (A 1911 under your Guayabera was the complete fashion of the day).

· Registered
51 Posts
In the summer I’m in a t-shirt and shorts when I’m not at work. I carry OWB at 3:00 and I conceal just fine. If you are a tuck in your shirt kind of person you’ll need to get a holster that allows you to wear your shirt tucked in, and I’d suggest putting the hooks of the holster on the pants behind the belt so they are somewhat hidden. Or just don’t tuck in your shirt.
As for a shoulder holster, you can probably get away with wearing one over a t-shirt and under a second layer shirt that’s only partly buttoned up (you don’t want the wind blowing your unbuttoned top layer shirt open and revealing your gun).

61 - 73 of 73 Posts